2018 AZB Ghost Challenge - Official Thread

DWreckTheBoss

Registered
5-7 loss 9-ball ghost.
https://youtu.be/RsJHjgNLCPA

I’m out of town and hadn’t planned on playing but I always bring my cues just in case I get the chance to get out and play a little. :p

This table is a GC4 with 4 1/4” corners. I noticed when measuring the pocket that they have a little radius that starts about 2/3 of the way along the facing headed out to the point. Cloth stretched too tight? I dunno. It made the pockets a little stingy when shooting along the rail, but it wasn’t a big deal.

What I think was worse is that my cue wasn’t very level on a lot of shots and I was twisting my wrist like crazy! :eek:

I need to buy a camera with a tripod and film myself from multiple angles. Sometimes I am so off, I know it has to be something with the stance or the grip. Other times I cannot miss shot or shape. Being inconsistent is really bothering me since I am able to shoot well and get on fire pretty often. If I filmed myself and saw a wrist twist, I would probably be mad at myself hehe. I do know I have a steering problem I need to work out when I use my side English.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
5-7 loss 9-ball ghost.
https://youtu.be/RsJHjgNLCPA

I’m out of town and hadn’t planned on playing but I always bring my cues just in case I get the chance to get out and play a little. :p

This table is a GC4 with 4 1/4” corners. I noticed when measuring the pocket that they have a little radius that starts about 2/3 of the way along the facing headed out to the point. Cloth stretched too tight? I dunno. It made the pockets a little stingy when shooting along the rail, but it wasn’t a big deal.

What I think was worse is that my cue wasn’t very level on a lot of shots and I was twisting my wrist like crazy! :eek:

4 1/4" pockets are tough in general but add facing issues etc.... and it goes from tough to almost impossible.

Sometimes we need to play on tables like that so we are reminded of just how nice our home tables are. Yep, having an awesome table at home can ruin us for other tables.

I enjoyed watching the vid.

I wish some of the a55 hats that say the ghost is so easy would contribute to this thread. I guess it's easier to talk than it is to actually man up and post vids.

Again, I enjoyed it. I learn from watching others.

Rake

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi. Been awhile.
I could not get to my account after site was down. After that I was really busy-
Got some tournaments and started my own company. A lot of paperwork due that.

I also did some table tuning and now got new rails and Simonis 860 HR cloth on my table.
Finally it is not slowest table on earth anymore. Pockets are crazy tight but I changed pocket facing angle just a tad. They seem to play more fair now even they are tighter than used to be. TDF from Dr. Dave showed 1.14

I also finally did buy new cue. I decided to try Mezz with WD700 shaft(after testing over 20 cues..). So now I play pretty low deflection cue too. I played it now almost two weeks and it is starting to feel okay and I can say my shot making accuracy is about 10%-15% better. Even I still miss some shots because played all my life with solid maple shaft.

So a lot happened after last time I posted but I have feeling I will do Ghost more regular basis and will be even stronger. After i really start to get used to low deflection. :)
Anyways here is my 9-ball ghost with 7-3 win(played 06/13/2018). It have even Efren-kinda moments with it :D
https://youtu.be/j_LLHgGDRlc

As usual, enjoyed the vid.

Keep it up,

Rake

DWreckTheBoss

Registered
I just use my phone. Cell phone cameras are so good these days I didn’t see a need to buy a camera. A lot of phones come with video editing software already installed also. Makes it super easy for something small like recording a set or two.

My phone vids always cut off at 5 minutes. I need to get some kind of mount then and do some research on how to record a long vid that is not streaming. (I know it is not HD space, I have 30 gigs free)

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My phone vids always cut off at 5 minutes. I need to get some kind of mount then and do some research on how to record a long vid that is not streaming. (I know it is not HD space, I have 30 gigs free)

As peppersauce said there are some great cameras on phones these days. His recordings are great. I've watched pretty much all of his.

Before you upgrade your phone or what not, keep in mind what I experienced when I first started to record my ghost races:

At first I was playing races to 3, then to 5, then to 7 etc...I'm currently at 11 to 15 on average with a few races to 25 here and there. Hill/hill in a race to 11 can go to 21 so I like to see where I would stand in a long grinding match with another player at my skill level. I know a ghost race is not the same as matching up in real life but it is the best I can do alone in my home.

I liked the phone as a recorder until time restraints became an issue. For me, being rushed is not good for my game so I bought a sony HD something-nother that will record up to 11 hours non-stop.

I spent less than $125 on the recorder and stand together. To upgrade my phone would have cost more and still would not have been far lacking compared to the recorder.

I'm sure you will do fine with what ever you choose. Bottom line to me is, as long as your playing and improving it's a win/win.

Rake

DWreckTheBoss

Registered
As peppersauce said there are some great cameras on phones these days. His recordings are great. I've watched pretty much all of his.

Before you upgrade your phone or what not, keep in mind what I experienced when I first started to record my ghost races:

At first I was playing races to 3, then to 5, then to 7 etc...I'm currently at 11 to 15 on average with a few races to 25 here and there. Hill/hill in a race to 11 can go to 21 so I like to see where I would stand in a long grinding match with another player at my skill level. I know a ghost race is not the same as matching up in real life but it is the best I can do alone in my home.

I liked the phone as a recorder until time restraints became an issue. For me, being rushed is not good for my game so I bought a sony HD something-nother that will record up to 11 hours non-stop.

I spent less than $125 on the recorder and stand together. To upgrade my phone would have cost more and still would not have been far lacking compared to the recorder.

I'm sure you will do fine with what ever you choose. Bottom line to me is, as long as your playing and improving it's a win/win.

Rake

The reasons you state are why I plan on getting a camera. Its pretty inexpensive really, and I do play long sessions myself, even when by myself. Thanks for the input though. What kind of camera exactly? Just a cheap sony? Does it do 1080p? 4k? Seems like it would not be able to record so much data if so.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The reasons you state are why I plan on getting a camera. Its pretty inexpensive really, and I do play long sessions myself, even when by myself. Thanks for the input though. What kind of camera exactly? Just a cheap sony? Does it do 1080p? 4k? Seems like it would not be able to record so much data if so.

I can't remember all the specs of the recorder but I will check them and get back with you soon.

What I do remember is:

The better quality phones are waaaayyyyyy more expensive than a recorder and stand together.

It's just a no brainer to me for anyone that is worried about session getting cut short.

Nothing worse, to me, than being in the middle of a personal best at anything and find out the damn phone didn't record long enough.

Some of my session have been as long as 4 hours lately. A phone just will not handle that. Or at least no phone I've had, that I'm aware of.

Anyway, I will check and get back,

Rake

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

To me it was cheap. It is the Sony Handycam HDR-cx240.

I bought it at Wal-Mart.

You can Google the specifics on it.

I'm tech challenged to say the least. I just use the default settings when I record. I plan on posting another ghost race soon.

Due to catching chit from some members about length of race, ball in hand, pattern racking etc.... being to easy I'm planing on posting some longer races with (hopefully) obviously non-pattern racking racks.

Just because I posted that I know how to pattern rack without it being obvious, someone threw it in my face and more or less accused me of doing it during my posted vids.

Oh well, I'll play my game, on my table and use my rules. If folks cannot appreciate the fact that I'm just a nobody that's doing my best to improve my game, well, I don't know what to say except don't watch my vids and don't read my post.

My mother taught me to say something nice or keep my trap shut.

Anyway, in this thread it's usually all good. But in open forum there are some pretty disrespectful, to say the least....members that never post any type of proof of their level of play but have no problems bashing others attempts which leads me to believe they can't play dead.

I look forward to seeing your game no matter your level of play. Trust me, I'm not a strong player by any means but I have NO PROBLEM putting myself in the ring with even the biggest of beast. Yep, I'd get crushed but I would love it.

We all can learn from each other's vids. Of course, some had rather eat refried chit before helping another player unless they are gonna get paid. Funny thing is, lol most of the folks asking for money are mediocre at best and couldn't teach a fish to swim.

Again, I look forward to any play you post,

Rake

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I bought it at Wal-Mart.

I'm tech challenged to say the least. I just use the default settings when I record. I plan on posting another ghost race soon.

Due to catching chit from some members about length of race, ball in hand, pattern racking etc.... being to easy I'm planing on posting some longer races with (hopefully) obviously non-pattern racking racks.

Just because I posted that I know how to pattern rack without it being obvious, someone threw it in my face and more or less accused me of doing it during my posted vids.

Oh well, I'll play my game, on my table and use my rules. If folks cannot appreciate the fact that I'm just a nobody that's doing my best to improve my game, well, I don't know what to say except don't watch my vids and don't read my post.

Anyway, in this thread it's usually all good. But in open forum there are some pretty disrespectful, to say the least....members that never post any type of proof of their level of play but have no problems bashing others attempts which leads me to believe they can't play dead.

I look forward to seeing your game no matter your level of play. Trust me, I'm not a strong player by any means but I have NO PROBLEM putting myself in the ring with even the biggest of beast. Yep, I'd get crushed but I would love it.

We all can learn from each other's vids. Of course, some had rather eat refried chit before helping another player unless they are gonna get paid. Funny thing is, lol most of the folks asking for money are mediocre at best and couldn't teach a fish to swim.

Rake
Pattern racking is ok while playing ghost. It was written to rules maybe 2016.
I don't do it but it really does not matter.
Races against ghost are practice. One can make practice little easier if he feels that way.
I use 2 behind the rack and 9 on spot. Sometimes I use 3ball kitchen rule too.
That is regular rule on official Tournaments here. Eurotour or Finnish Pool Tour.
Open tournaments normally does not have kitchen but still have 2 behind rack.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pattern racking is ok while playing ghost. It was written to rules maybe 2016.
I don't do it but it really does not matter.
Races against ghost are practice. One can make practice little easier if he feels that way.
I use 2 behind the rack and 9 on spot. Sometimes I use 3ball kitchen rule too.
That is regular rule on official Tournaments here. Eurotour or Finnish Pool Tour.
Open tournaments normally does not have kitchen but still have 2 behind rack.

You and I think alike when it comes to the ghost. It is practice, period.

As for the pattern racking, it was not in the ghost challenge thread that I got called on it. It was in a thread in the general forum.

I to put the 9 on spot and 2 in back with 3 in kitchen rules. Ever now and then, I have friends over and I go back to easier rules to make it easier for everyone.

I have not played 9 ball in weeks, I've been play str8 pool and American rotation lately.

When I was called out about pattern racking, it was in 10 ball. Even though I was not pattern racking.

Like we agree, ghost is for practice. Not sure why some people have to be so quick to judge someone they don't even know.

Just wanted to clear up a bit and make sure you know that it's all good in this thread.

Rake

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Rake

I hope this wasn’t directed at me. If you took it that way when I quoted your post I apologize, it was never meant to be derogatory or accusatory. I felt that people took your posts as very “braggy” when you listed all of your accomplishments.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope this wasn’t directed at me. If you took it that way when I quoted your post I apologize, it was never meant to be derogatory or accusatory. I felt that people took your posts as very “braggy” when you listed all of your accomplishments.

Nope. I'm man enough if I have a problem I'll say something, if it bothers me enough.

The stuff in question leads me to believe there are more non playing players on here than I thought.

Bragging, lol.... anyone that brags about beating ghost with ball in paw on magic rack needs to spend more time on table.

To me, it's just a method of training to get better.

Other people talk about their drills, lol what do they think ghost play with b.i.h. and magic rack Is? I'll tell you, it's a drill. Or at least it is to me.

I will keep my ghost, practice...... anything drill wise to this thread. Hopefully I want be accused of cheating or bragging in here since this is "GHOST CHALLENGE" thread.

Happy shooting,

Rake

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nope. I'm man enough if I have a problem I'll say something, if it bothers me enough.

The stuff in question leads me to believe there are more non playing players on here than I thought.

Bragging, lol.... anyone that brags about beating ghost with ball in paw on magic rack needs to spend more time on table.

To me, it's just a method of training to get better.

Other people talk about their drills, lol what do they think ghost play with b.i.h. and magic rack Is? I'll tell you, it's a drill. Or at least it is to me.

I will keep my ghost, practice...... anything drill wise to this thread. Hopefully I want be accused of cheating or bragging in here since this is "GHOST CHALLENGE" thread.

Happy shooting,

Rake

Gotcha, that’s a good mentality to have.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just for fun:grin-square:
I was trying to practice Dr. Dave´s BU test.
I got frustrated and ended up taking shots against pro Ghost.
Matches were quite boring but ended up running couple crazy racks and decided make vid from them.
2 racks only. One 10-ball and one 9-ball.
https://youtu.be/Ykpzt5TdeQ0

DWreckTheBoss

Registered

I bought it at Wal-Mart.

Rake

I found a pretty nice camera, stand, battery, case, combo set type thing online with a Sony camera that is pretty similar to the one you posted. I made a short list of gift items that I would enjoy and sent it to my girlfriend. She has trouble shopping for me since we always just buy what we want. My birthday is in a little over a month, so hopefully I will have the camera by then. We have a bye week in league next week, and I have been trying to talk the players into having an open practice session where I can really try to help them more individually. Once I get everyone on some good focused practice, perhaps I will try to post a small session of me losing to the ghost with my phone. I can definitely say that I am not you and PoolManis speed unless I am just on fire. That, combined with these tough tables just will kick my butt but Ill see if I can't get a video on here.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found a pretty nice camera, stand, battery, case, combo set type thing online with a Sony camera that is pretty similar to the one you posted. I made a short list of gift items that I would enjoy and sent it to my girlfriend. She has trouble shopping for me since we always just buy what we want. My birthday is in a little over a month, so hopefully I will have the camera by then. We have a bye week in league next week, and I have been trying to talk the players into having an open practice session where I can really try to help them more individually. Once I get everyone on some good focused practice, perhaps I will try to post a small session of me losing to the ghost with my phone. I can definitely say that I am not you and PoolManis speed unless I am just on fire. That, combined with these tough tables just will kick my butt but Ill see if I can't get a video on here.

I hope your girlfriend comes through for ya. Deals can be found but even without deals there stills pretty reasonable.

It's good you want to help your entire team get to the point of serious training. Without focused, timely and regular training sessions it is very hard to get past certain levels in pool.

As for you putting up a vid, just do what "you" do and it will be as good as any I'm sure.

As for my level of play, lol.... I'm just another wannabe. But damn, it sure is fun, until it's not. Lol.

Like I said in other post, "don't worry, win or lose, post a vid". It will be at least "one way" to keep yourself accountable in progress. Especially, offensive parts of game.

Rake

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just for fun:grin-square:
I was trying to practice Dr. Dave´s BU test.
I got frustrated and ended up taking shots against pro Ghost.
Matches were quite boring but ended up running couple crazy racks and decided make vid from them.
2 racks only. One 10-ball and one 9-ball.
https://youtu.be/Ykpzt5TdeQ0

Just got around to watching the vids.

Crazy racks for sure.

Some impressive shots in there.

Good shooting,

Rake

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just got around to watching the vids.

Crazy racks for sure.

Some impressive shots in there.

Good shooting,

Rake

Lol. I forgot this vid. Sick racks for sure. Thanks for reminding me :cool:
I have been sick and all kind of shit. Not too much pool practice lately.
Practiced only snooker when I have been able. Trying to figure out ways to get my speed control better and snooker drills require to really good speed control.

Nowadays I have been trying to make line up maximums with 3 different colors on row. Black147, pink132 and blue117.
Almost impossible, I know. But while I try it I notice huge improvement. Especially speed control and learning optical illusions.
Probably i can make first 2 any day now but blue one is killer. You have to land right side of blue(and only slight angle to keep control) most of the time or navigate through smaller colours. That is insane difficult.

Getting back to pool soon because Finnish 14.1 champs are getting close. If this 4 week flu and fever finally ends...