Heavy Aramith Balls?

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member

They are made of phenolic resin. As resin wears and heats up, it has a slight micro-tendency to expand. Therefore it is possible in the laboratory.

A chemist told me this over the weekend.

r/DCP

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you continue in school, and take some more advanced physics, you will learn that an object heating up specifically DOES experience weight gain. The object had all of its original mass, plus the additional mass equivalent of the additional heat energy now present in the object. The difference in mass is minuscule, but Einstein and others have a fair degree of confidence in the whole E=mc^2 thing. Its actually quite interesting. An object in motion, likewise, has a greater mass than the identical object at rest. The difference is most often negligible in classical mechanical physics. This really comes into play big time when discussing cosmological topics with really huge numbers and velocities.

KMRUNOUT

The difference to a human is 0 though, I don't have to buy new pants in summer because they expanded too much and no longer fit. As I said, if someone can tell the difference in the balls through friction generated heat they need to be examined in a lab.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The difference to a human is 0 though, I don't have to buy new pants in summer because they expanded too much and no longer fit. As I said, if someone can tell the difference in the balls through friction generated heat they need to be examined in a lab.
Under a BIG microscope while heavily sedated. ;)

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
No s^*t brother. Rubbing and smelling the balls in a poolroom? Just go ahead and paint the giant L-for-loser on your forehead before you walk in 'cause you're gonna get HAMMERED by anybody witnessing such lunacy. C'mon Bob, REALLY????????????? ;)

Heh heh... :winknudge:

Don Owen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Accelerate a pool ball (or any object with mass) to near the speed of light. It will have greater mass.

That said, I think you have made your disdain for this poster's question loud and clear now several times.

Best,

KMRUNOUT

If two balls are traveling at a relative velocity such that relativistic mass distortion occurs, which ball increases in mass?

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If two balls are traveling at a relative velocity such that realistic mass distortion occurs which ball increases in mass?

Good question. I'm not sure. I would guess the one that can be described as having a high velocity (near the speed of light) would net the increase in mass, but honestly I'm no expert on relativity, and there may be far more to discover in that topic for even the experts. For all I know, the law of gravitation may work with relativity such that the increase in velocity of any object nets a *decrease* in mass of ALL other objects proportional to their masses, relative velocities, and distances.

If you know anything about this I would love to hear more.

KMRUNOUT

simco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These are about six or seven years old.Didn't check od. Heavy pool room use

Attachments

• sb1.JPG
    sb1.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 119
  • sb2.JPG
    sb2.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Accelerate a pool ball (or any object with mass) to near the speed of light. It will have greater mass.

That said, I think you have made your disdain for this poster's question loud and clear now several times.

Best,

KMRUNOUT

I have to laugh more and more at this. If we accept that the speed of light is 186,000 miles per second, that makes it way fast, when you convert to miles per hour. From an earlier pool article, I think the hardest breakers were in the 30 mile per hour range.

Therefore, I'm trying hard to find some connection to speed of light, and pool balls gaining weight, with your analysis. I can't find practical connection to the OP's theory.

Actually, I don't have disdain. I do question some theory where someone obviously has not used, nor has familiarity with, either calipers, or a scale.

That said, your level of relevance and sagacity is about par in this thread, where someone thought billiard balls gain weight. But I think he thought that in the real world. But then again, he may have been just trying to get reaction. Certainly did. Continues to be one of the more comical threads, fed suddenly by irrelevant and impossible theories.

All the best,
WW

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
These are about six or seven years old.Didn't check od. Heavy pool room use

That's very good. I'd go to my pool hall and measure, but I recently learned that due to idiot bangers mixing and matching balls, every set is mismatched! It would be impossible to get a good reading.:( I do know that in my old pool hall the cueballs were 159-161 grams and the object balls were close to 167 with some variations. Again, may have been mismatched sets, but the cueball weights were telling because they were all low and all original Those that had been replaced were close to the object balls in weight and were not included..Results are from my memory, I lost all the measurements.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess what I like most about threads like this, is the fact that DCP has been trolling this forum for well over a decade with his "questions", but still gets people to respond sincerely, and argue about stupid crap that doesnt matter when it comes to ACTUALLY PLAYING POOL. :thumbup:

CaptainObvious_SaluteAnimated.gif

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I guess what I like most about threads like this, is the fact that DCP has been trolling this forum for well over a decade with his "questions", but still gets people to respond sincerely, and argue about stupid crap that doesnt matter when it comes to ACTUALLY PLAYING POOL. :thumbup:

CaptainObvious_SaluteAnimated.gif

Oh, it can matter, Chuck
I used a 20 year object ball as a cue ball in a long draw contest once....
...my opponent had to use the same ball as his object ball with a normal cue ball.
....I robbed him....I could cue that ball dead center and draw half a table.

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure they don't. Why don't you go down to your local pool hall with an ACCURATE scale and measure the cueball, comparing it to the others. (Obviously that only applies to matched sets of high quality balls). Close to spec. is nothing to be proud of. Pool ball specs, along with all other significant pool specs are ridiculously tolerant. This is because the equipment manufacturers have had too much power in pool. The range of weights can vary by as much as half an ounce! That is INSANE. It's 14 flipping grams and no tolerance requirement is given, so guess what that means? A top of the line snooker set is within 1 gram, the tolerance permitted by the rules is 3 grams! However no standard weight is given in snooker, so in that regard they are more permissive in theory.

In my experience the best Aramith sets are within 1 gram. Mine were, I haven't measured them in a while, but maybe I will (super pros). My pool hall ALSO has Super Pros, and let me tell you, those balls are not EVEN close to being as factory new. The weight varies wildly.

This is true. My Aramith Tournament are all within 1 gram of each other. The logo cue ball that came with the set is 2 grams lighter than the ob average. And the measle cb is right at the same weight as the obj balls.
1d6c6e216012580efbb203748910c9d8.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk