Are the best Taiwanese Players, as strong as the best from the Philippines?

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
Chin Min-Wai -- 2nd to Souquet in the 2000 U.S. Open Straight Pool Championship.

Can you tell us more about the run of 500+ -- when, where, table details, spectators, etc.? I have seen it listed on one website, but I know nothing about it.

You probably know as much about it as me, but I do remember commentary on one of the 14.1 US open matches he was in mentioning it.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Here's how the hypothetical 10 v 10 would look according to Fargo:

Team Philippines
1. Dennis Orcollo 815
2. Carlo Biado 811
3. Lee Van Corteza 809
4. James Aranas 803
5. Jeffrey Ignacio 798
6. Jeffrey De Luna 796
7. Roland Garcia 796
8. Johann Chua 794
9. Anton Raga 794
10. Jerico Banares 793

Avg Fargo = 801.4

vs

Team Taiwan
1. Chang Jun Lin 817
2. Ko Pin Yi 815
3. Chang Yu Lung 807
4. Hsu Kai Lun 805
5. Ko Ping Chung 804
6. Cheng Yu Hsuan ("Kevin") 802
7. Fu Che Wei 796
8. Wu Kun Lin 796
9. Lo Li Wen 791
10. Yang Ching Shun 781

Avg Fargo = 800.9

So, essentially a dead heat through ten. Taiwan may have a slightly higher top end, but my hunch is that if I continued this exercise through a top 20, the Philippines would have a much stronger back end. To wit, Warren Kiamco, Jundel Mazon, Francisco Bustamante, and Roberto Gomez occupy Team PHI numbers 11-14, and each enjoys a higher Fargo than number ten on Team TWN, the legend Yang Ching Shun. I suspect this trend would continue as you moved deeper into each nation's pool ranks.

I believe there was a "King's Cup" or similar hosted between the two a few years ago. I seem to remember Efren and Busty and a couple young guns on Team PHI against the Ko's and others on Team TWN. I believe Team PHI won, but my memory of all the details of this tourney are shaky at the moment. In any case, I would love to see that tournament continued and formalized Mosconi cup style.

This list should drop off Yang Chin Shun and add Wu Jiaqing.

Wu is born and raised in Taiwan. He came up, in Pool, there. It was only as an adult that he moved to mainland China.

Eric