8 ball, 9 ball, or 10 ball?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Standard wooden rack, 1 on the spot, winner breaks, push out after break if you don't have a path to the low ball. 9 at any time wins the rack, except on a scratch or other foul.

I play 10-ball by those rules also.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like playing both but I don't see the correlation between 9B and 14.1? Two totally different games. 9B is my all time favorite because it's a fast and loose game, 14.1 is generally a slower game, which means patience is required.

Correlation between the two:

He said they go by points per ball, not by who makes the 9 ball.

Im pretty sure that in 14.1 the person with the most points wins the game. So, there's that.

As for the slow play, lol.... ive saw some very slow 9 ballers as well when a lock tight safe is put on em or they get out of line and have to decide.....safe or go for it?

Only things separating the two is the shot clock...for some.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was the APA point scoring for 9 ball that brought 14.1 up.

Thanks for that JC. I haven’t looked at 14.1 specific instruction yet. Just watched many matches and a few instructional high runs. I’m in between what I really want to focus on right now but I do like straight pool a lot when I’m playing well and get a little run going so maybe I will dive deep.

Make sure you do.

14.1 can and will make you a better 9 ball player.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Make sure you do.

I would agree with that. 14.1 teaches you breakouts, when to hit them hard or soft, etc.

I definitely think 14.1 is the best all around game for teaching different things. Patience, shot selection, cluster manipulation, strategy, etc.

And roger on the points correlation, I didn't follow the whole thread. I, personally, don't think of one when playing the other.

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
Make sure you do.

9 ball and 10 ball force you to attempt "one" specific shot, which can't be avoided; unlike 8 ball.

14.1 allows you to shoot any ball on the table, and gives you an opportunity to weigh several different shot choices; which reminds me of 8 ball.

When I practice, I usually practice single rack straight pool. Break, and then start running them as desired. Re-rack, break, and then start running them as desired.

Occasionally, I practice 8 ball or 9 ball specifically. 8 ball reminds me of straight pool, because you have multiple shot choices.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would agree with that. 14.1 teaches you breakouts, when to hit them hard or soft, etc.

I definitely think 14.1 is the best all around game for teaching different things. Patience, shot selection, cluster manipulation, strategy, etc.

And roger on the points correlation, I didn't follow the whole thread. I, personally, don't think of one when playing the other.

I understand. Me, well, when im playing 14.1 and have a combo, i usually don't sweat it much but, when i played mostly 9 ball, lol... those same combo shots would cause me to shoot safe or sell out.

So, when Im playing 9 ball, 10 ball etc....etc and i have a combo, well, I remind myself that I shoot those on a regular basis in 14.1 and that gives me just enough confidence to not only make most of the combos but, gives me enough confidence to get in a little higher gear ever so often.

Like you, 14.1 is my favorite game and the reason is: to me, 14.1 is, like you said, the best "all around" game.

I know plenty of rotation players that are very strong but, they cant run 30 balls in 14.1.

On the other hand, most all strong 14.1 players that i know can string 9 ball racks pretty well.

Sure, i know some 14.1 players that aren't very strong 9 ballers but, their not strong 14.1 players either, their what i would call average at 14.1 (me).

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand. Me, well, when im playing 14.1 and have a combo, i usually don't sweat it much but, when i played mostly 9 ball, lol... those same combo shots would cause me to shoot safe or sell out.

So, when Im playing 9 ball, 10 ball etc....etc and i have a combo, well, I remind myself that I shoot those on a regular basis in 14.1 and that gives me just enough confidence to not only make most of the combos but, gives me enough confidence to get in a little higher gear ever so often.

Like you, 14.1 is my favorite game and the reason is: to me, 14.1 is, like you said, the best "all around" game.

I know plenty of rotation players that are very strong but, they cant run 30 balls in 14.1.

On the other hand, most all strong 14.1 players that i know can string 9 ball racks pretty well.

Sure, i know some 14.1 players that aren't very strong 9 ballers but, their not strong 14.1 players either, their what i would call average at 14.1 (me).

I have had different bouts of trying to get into 14.1 when I was younger, but only have a high run of 58. I play much stronger 9 ball and one pocket, so I never gave it much attention.

As I get older, Im thinking about taking it up again. There is a monthly tourney where I live coming up, I might give it a go.

The last time I tried to get into it, most players in the room I was playing out of didnt think much of straight pool. :thumbup:

MIGLOEbmpxMrBcV8unI7SFrShE0tL2G88BDI9bgyeNX_v-_S7Jh4lP2vElT0qNS40EBZm_z-5jTrOJVEIYDvZk4_caIVQwSTNo6gF7thecMN1EHBhNGnzEELkdUZiiLDanyVFq2QCqQzFFXosvFLFvzKyan-DopdeTZWK9i9yxpyPs8K3V98xi2CfVFgxBesliuzP8qgYUGz1ZEmfps40ayJQRe0Q-ibs-aP1SAs54Cd_jwzlYnYYBdG8nehnaTFSPXcEXeU5gBf0OtmbarZSR6TDO6dyYnYBjUfxhY8V0lQt-E4A2j5Z0yxZfBt6w8aUVs-apemlo6qtOcYtfGruor377VPK-3WJ_mSQXDLhCuQAstQRmKZUiEmaDtLsYkJmSI05cJ1dxPClmJC3TCtw_LuD-_EjyJ0VD6pOYtKU9RVEXtVumqQmeHJ1dcYzXeIpML7Hx1vGoZMTn2Ktr6Q0M40NwFMloSq-b2W8NrZDG9EeNZWot4djcn-rz4VZmjrXUmXtS24-P2JDXmoyPrcnDJwJI83JP8WvIUnYj84el8F_fqiMa2xSSSm32pwunDKgF2tUbDdDSMZMTNSMljW9Z7xHffMZgkNMd0uD-z8oDKUb-LHpG0DOGrM6N97vGyvGNdeXD0kyxmxpPGJMVUgXg2YZ-4dyFk=w640-h480-no

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This may help in thinking through the thousands of possibilities: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=434435

Hmmm.... With the various variations mentioned there are 262,440 different possible rules for how the break is handled at nine ball. For the record, I prefer:

Neutral racker
Inspection allowed but no comment or change allowed
Tapping the table -- no triangle or template or Sardo
9 on the spot
2 ball at the back, all others at random
alternate break
25-inch-wide break box (two diamonds)
4 balls to cushions or make a ball plus the three point rule (touch the kitchen)
9 on the break is a win
AND ABSOLUTELY NO PHENOLIC TIPS! THEY DAMAGE THE CUE BALL!

The tip thing I didn't count in the count above, so we have slightly over half a million different break rule styles.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
eight ball

I have to admit I like eight ball. Both players are not shooting at the same balls, more options for playing to make a ball and play safe, Easier to control the pace of the game.

I like snooker, one pocket, ten, and nine in that order and I like snooker and one pocket better than eight ball. Never played 14.1 except as a practice game.

Hu

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
I have started watching Snooker matches. Great game. I barely have room for my 9' pool table. On one side, a ball against the rail forces me to use a short cue. A couple inches off that rail, and I can use a normal cue. I've played in other places where they had the same issue. Big tables require big rooms.

I have a 9' table, in a room that would be perfect for an 8' table. But I'm not complaining; it's what I really wanted.

Last edited:

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
10-Ball with 9-ball rules is my favorite.
after that normal WPA rules 10-ball.
then ...
One pocket
8-Ball
Safety Battle(I developed rules myself and loving it!)
Snooker
9_ball
Taiwanese Carom 235
Finnish Kaisa Billiards
Russian pyramid

I play them all but 14.1 and One pocket I rarely get anybody play against me.