Pool on TV - a fantasy

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"A bit." lol. He is a super swindler. He is so good, he knows he'll be caught, but the fines and threat of jail time never surpasses the con (i.e. a book of Cures they don't want you to know about.)

As far the popularity of the WPBA events, and I hope this doesn't ruffle feathers, but Allison Fisher in tight pants on loose pockets playing Karen "bazooka" Corr, was closer to Baywatch than the DCC.
Exactly. GA yung Kim in pleather pants anyone?

If the only sell pool has is that *some* of the women are nice to look at then...

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't doubt that more Americans would prefer to watch Joey Chestnut eat 71 hot dogs in 10 minutes, than watch the world's greatest pool players.
It's not a comparative thing really. People watching the hot dog competition is more about having something silly that gives people something you don't really have to think about yet can still joke about and make fun, casual connections with others while you drink beers on the 4th.

It's apples and oranges. Now we can discuss the fact the cornhole, or whatever cleaned up name they're using, gets some serious airtime.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
It's not a comparative thing really. People watching the hot dog competition is more about having something silly that gives people something you don't really have to think about yet can still joke about and make fun, casual connections with others while you drink beers on the 4th.

It's apples and oranges. Now we can discuss the fact the cornhole, or whatever cleaned up name they're using, gets some serious airtime.

I played a match of cornhole for the first time the other day. I’d lobbed a few bean bags here and there but never seriously. I got in stroke at one point a few innings in and I can see why people play it. It really did remind me of pool in a way, the same zoned in satisfaction type thing.

It’s got to be a lot easier to get good at cornhole than pool and it’s a mobile game you can set up just about anywhere, cheaply. I can see why it’s becoming more popular and on TV. Nothing of the game is lost in translation, whereas with pool you definitely loose some intensity seeing it on a screen. If you don’t know about the game it can look easy and boring on the tube but throwing a bag in a hole from distance everyone can appreciate the difficulty

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And all of you making comments is part of the reason there's no organized Professional Pool Players organization in this sport.....because you're all such experts at criticizing this game if ANYONE else is playing, or commenting the game, because no one can do it better than ANY of you people can, only thing is....none of you was commenting OR playing, what a shame....the world missed out on hearing the best commentors AND players!! You all missed your calling only thing is, even if ALL of you got together to promote this sport, it still wouldn't e any more organized than it is today, and ALL of you together still couldn't pull in a sponsor!! You people can't even watch a damn commercial about selling a CAR without critiquing the pool trick shots during the commercials.....because you're ALL the BEST!!!
The reason pool is not organized has nothing to do with the fact that people discuss pool on a message board. That doesn't even make sense. If pool is that fragile that some key board commando trolls can take it down with simple words then it really shouldn't be organized in the first place.

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played a match of cornhole for the first time the other day. I’d lobbed a few bean bags here and there but never seriously. I got in stroke at one point a few innings in and I can see why people play it. It really did remind me of pool in a way, the same zoned in satisfaction type thing.

It’s got to be a lot easier to get good at cornhole than pool and it’s a mobile game you can set up just about anywhere, cheaply. I can see why it’s becoming more popular and on TV. Nothing of the game is lost in translation, whereas with pool you definitely loose some intensity seeing it on a screen. If you don’t know about the game it can look easy and boring on the tube but throwing a bag in a hole from distance everyone can appreciate the difficulty
A sht ton easier. My third time playing cornhole, I was hitting the hole two or three times every turn. On "regulation" equipment with "regulation" rules. The amount of people who can become good at cornhole, given the lack of actual commitment necessary, far outweigh those that can become even mediocre at pool.

It's like a far less awesome version of horse shoes, but also takes far more skill.

Last edited:

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Answer me something will you, when there's no more cable companies left to provide the media to all those TV's you mentioned, what are they going to be watching on them next? Streaming is coming, streaming is the future, and soon enough, streaming is going to be the ONLY way they'll be watching all those TVs.....think about it!
I'm not trying to pile on you specifically as i don't have a problem with your at all. A lot of your points that I'm reading aren't as well thought out as you think they are.

You're telling everyone to think about things when you yourself haven't fully thought them out. The "cable" companies, or more appropriate communications companies, own the transmission equipment that sends all of the streamed data. We are nowhere close to a full wireless existence and won't be for quite some time.

These same companies are also in the steaming game. The op did not specify that pool on cable TV was dead just that pool on tv was dead. Nowadays saying something is "on tv" automatically includes many different sources of content not just cable TV.

It's a vicious cycle. There is no organization because there is no money, there is no money because there isnt a truly sellable product. There isn't a truly sellable product because there is no organization. Etc...

I do agree that there are more nay sayers than actors, but the people you are calling to action aren't really in a position to truly make a change. People on this board have day jobs and bills to pay. Even though a love pool it will not pay the bills.

I do hope that whatever big plan you have to save pool really, truly does what you hope it might. You are in a different position than a lot of people here. Pool is your livelihood. It is more beneficial to you that pool blows up. Hell you could have a giant Pool table manufacturing business all your own, no joke. Just don't let arrogance and fool headedness cut you down before you have a chance to succeed.

I do truly wish you the best of luck, you are in a position to do something I can't.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'm not trying to pile on you specifically as i don't have a problem with your at all. A lot of your points that I'm reading aren't as well thought out as you think they are.

You're telling everyone to think about things when you yourself haven't fully thought them out. The "cable" companies, or more appropriate communications companies, own the transmission equipment that sends all of the streamed data. We are nowhere close to a full wireless existence and won't be for quite some time.

These same companies are also in the steaming game. The op did not specify that pool on cable TV was dead just that pool on tv was dead. Nowadays saying something is "on tv" automatically includes many different sources of content not just cable TV.

It's a vicious cycle. There is no organization because there is no money, there is no money because there isnt a truly sellable product. There isn't a truly sellable product because there is no organization. Etc...

I do agree that there are more nay sayers than actors, but the people you are calling to action aren't really in a position to truly make a change. People on this board have day jobs and bills to pay. Even though a love pool it will not pay the bills.

I do hope that whatever big plan you have to save pool really, truly does what you hope it might. You are in a different position than a lot of people here. Pool is your livelihood. It is more beneficial to you that pool blows up. Hell you could have a giant Pool table manufacturing business all your own, no joke. Just don't let arrogance and fool headedness cut you down before you have a chance to succeed.

I do truly wish you the best of luck, you are in a position to do something I can't.

I'll know if my proposal is accepted by the end of September, and if it is, pool and many, many other sports and games world wide are going to get a serious change financially, but not without some changes and organization first.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
A lot of pool commentating goes too far.
That's why I caution a lot of people praising Tony Romo's style in football.
I say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
We don't need someone trying to predict every play!!
*Sorry for sidetracked rant* lol

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like listening to commentary from Daniel at POVPOOL. Fairly knowledgeable, and he has a great voice.

He can't be on mike all the time, so there are a couple subs I like. One is Truman, the other is Dave Hemmah. Hemmah and Tang Hoa were great together, too.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like listening to commentary from Daniel at POVPOOL. Fairly knowledgeable, and he has a great voice.

He can't be on mike all the time, so there are a couple subs I like. One is Truman, the other is Dave Hemmah. Hemmah and Tang Hoa were great together, too.

There really isn't a shortage of good commentators, its just the bad ones get to work a lot. Daniel Busch, Freddie, Jay, JJ are all excellent. I'm sure she is a nice lady, but can we keep Mary Kenniston away from the Mic please? "I'm sure this Asian female pro knows this simple three rail kick, its standard stuf.....oh she missed...huh.. didn't see that coming." :rolleyes:

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of pool commentating goes too far.

That's why I caution a lot of people praising Tony Romo's style in football.

I say NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

We don't need someone trying to predict every play!!

*Sorry for sidetracked rant* lol
Tony Romo is great when he sticks to analytics. His mind was always better than his physical abilities, which weren't to shabby. from someone who knows football well, Romo is excellent. If he stopped with the cartoon sound effects he would be the best analyst football has ever seen.

An analyst should give insight above and beyond what even a knowledgeable viewer understands. Watching the world cup matches this weekend, JJ's commentary is like free lessons. The balance between the color guy, who is the connection to the less knowledgeable, and the analyst is what makes for good commentary.

I think the matchroom guys are getting it right. During a rack should be a lot of analytics. In between should be a lot of color.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the matchroom guys are getting it right. During a rack should be a lot of analytics. In between should be a lot of color.

And the best commentators know when none of it's needed, and just let the play speak for itself.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And the best commentators know when none of it's needed, and just let the play speak for itself.
Agree 1000000% here. I can't stand having some moron filling every second of a stream/broadcast with their mindless drivel. Tell me the score and maybe some shot breakdowns but just use area-mikes and let game do its own thing. BBC golf broadcasts used to be the best at this. They might say fifty words an hour.