Full Time Extension Fad....

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
So SVB & Earl have been using their extensions full time for some time now. Recently Jayson Shaw switched to his full time for the past 1-2 months. Now Mike D. just got one done by Mike Webb & using it full time as of yesterday.

Why not just get the cues built longer?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So SVB & Earl have been using their extensions full time for some time now. Recently Jayson Shaw switched to his full time for the past 1-2 months. Now Mike D. just got one done by Mike Webb & using it full time as of yesterday.

Why not just get the cues built longer?

I say that people need cues that are balanced and proportionate to their height, arm length, and stroke length.

Earl and SVB are tall enough that maybe a 58" cue isn't the right length for them and they need a longer cue.

If you keep the same stroke length, a longer cue is either going to make your bridge longer or you are going to position your grip on the handle differently. The length of your arms isn't going to change any.

If you bridge at the flex point of your shaft and then add inches to the length of your cue, your flex point on the shaft doesn't change. Are you going to grip further up the handle to make up the difference or are you going to lengthen your stroke length?

I think it is a fad for most people. They see a pro using something and then they rush out to get one.

I wouldn't mind having a removable extension for my cue to reach long shots, but I don't think it would help me overall. I have short arms, a short bridge, and a short stroke length (compared to the newer players who have a 20 inch bridge and hold the cue at the butt cap)..

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My best answer would be convenience. Years ago and possibly thru today. Mike Davis played with a 29 inch shaft and a 34 inch butt. Longer shafts deflect more. Earl use to play with a 57 inch cue. He changed. The extension I made Mr Dechaine is easily removeable. The bumber is still attached to the butt if he chooses to remove it. My original thought like everyone else was to make the extension 10 inches long for people who were not comfortable with a bridge, some people wanted shorter extensions to play with it all the time as opposed to the extension at the joint.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
My best answer would be convenience. Years ago and possibly thru today. Mike Davis played with a 29 inch shaft and a 34 inch butt. Longer shafts deflect more. Earl use to play with a 57 inch cue. He changed. The extension I made Mr Dechaine is easily removeable. The bumber is still attached to the butt if he chooses to remove it. My original thought like everyone else was to make the extension 10 inches long for people who were not comfortable with a bridge, some people wanted shorter extensions to play with it all the time as opposed to the extension at the joint.

Yes, I noticed Mike's today & saw it was removable as is Jayson's, both seem about 10". I have one myself, but never considered playing full time with it.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

How much weight does it add and how far does it move the balance point on an average cue?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, I noticed Mike's today & saw it was removable as is Jayson's, both seem about 10". I have one myself, but never considered playing full time with it.

Mike's is 6 inches. As far as playing full time with it. I would say it depends on the weight bolt that's in your cue. Mike and Jayson both had weight bolts in their cues that they removed to off set the extension.
Obviously different length equals different weight of the extension.

Gorramjayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think their preference is a little bit to do with the front-weightedness of the cue when you slap an extension in the middle, a mass distribution that is hard to get just by building the cue longer (I have a custom-built 60" cue that I specified to be weighted forward and it still isn't quite as forward weighted as I'd like)

Forward weight on a longer cue makes it a bit easier to get high power through the ball while staying nice and level too All these guys are rather aggressive shooters, and when you forward-balance a longer cue you can take a big backswing and go hard through the CB very straight for big multiple-rail force follows without much added effort. Small touch shots may suffer a tiny bit but all these guys are more than good enough to just play for the position that suits their play style.

jwyatt8171

Registered
After the US Open a few weeks ago I was at Q Masters, and Shaw walked by. One of the guys I was playing stopped him, he stood and talked to us for at least an hour....long story short, I think he said the threads were messed up on his extension, and he had Bob Meucci epoxy it on permanent. He is waiting for Bob to build him a new cue.
By the way. Shaw made some new fans that night. Shane stopped by and chatted with Shaw/and us for a few minutes, but I think his head was swimming after his 5th US Open title.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Well, all the cool kids are using them.

That's why I got mine. I am 6'-4" and weigh the same as a small moon, but I used to be 5'-9" and wore skinny jeans and POW/MIA bracelets cuz they were simultaneously socially responsible and beyond my ability to comprehend anything of real meaning.... Sorry.... seem to have strayed from my original train of through. My extension is much longer and girthier than Mikes or Jasons (with a Y).

All Im really trying to say is Pen-Pineapple Apple-Pen.

Lesh

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think this is a fad at all.
Having equipment suited to your anatomy makes perfect sense.

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
Yeah, I've been playing with a 60" cue for quite a while and have just ordered a couple mid-extensions to try out on a couple of my shorter cues. I'm 6'1 and the extra length allows me to have better mechanics more of the time.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whether the extensions are here to stay or not. They fall into accessory options and less expensive than a cue. At the joint, another option that is becoming popular. Universal fit.
Ex.
Uni loc one side. 3/8x10 the other. Etc, etc.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this will help to determine the correct size and weight of an extension.

2+(x-7)+4x-2x+(4x+4)2=-11x+14-2-6x(
4-5)+13(x-5)-7

BuddyWing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just worked out this for myself , using your formula ,
and I need an extensive .... HaHa

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think this is a fad at all.
Having equipment suited to your anatomy makes perfect sense.

I've wondered about this from time to time. Especially when I see a player over 6' tall with his or her grip hand on the butt of the cue. I'm not tall so 58" seems right for me. I do have a couple of 8" extensions that screw into the cue butt. They're seldom used but occasionally come in handy.

wreiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really do not like extensions..... I just make the cue longer if necessary .... but only up to 60"

morris

Registered
Does anyone know the weight of the extensions that Shaw or Van Boeing use?

Last edited:

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Does anyone know the weight of the extensions for Shaw, Dechaine, or Van Boeing?
I played SVB at the US One Pocket a couple of weeks ago. Picked up his cue...with all the tape and extension it felt like 21-22 oz. I should have asked him...

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my cue is 58 with a 10 inch extension
weighs 24 oz

i found that i played better with it

to me 58 or 60 were about the same but this long
and heavy really made me play better

i like the extension,because it might be easier to sell
normal cues