Removing Bondo

mnsneakypete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used bondo to seal the seams on my diamond a few years ago (worked beautifully). I am going to be moving the table soon - is it difficult to remove the old bondo? Any suggestions on how to do so - a certain grit sandpaper? Chemicals?

Just trying to be prepared. Thanks.

I used bondo to seal the seams on my diamond a few years ago (worked beautifully). I am going to be moving the table soon - is it difficult to remove the old bondo? Any suggestions on how to do so - a certain grit sandpaper? Chemicals?

Just trying to be prepared. Thanks.

I don’t know how much Bondo was used. But generally you try to use only what’s needed and as such there is only a tiny amount. I am not familiar with a diamond table assembly/disassembly but
I suspect it can’t be that different from other tables I have worked on. Since it’s a 3 piece slate then I would remove the slate bolts. Once that’s done you should be able to lift one of the end slates and it will easily crack away. If the “wick” process was used to prevent the seams from popping then it may require a little wiggling back and forth but it still should be a very simple separation. After that you can use a scrapper to remove excess Bondo etc. When you reassemble the slate, clean with lacquer thinner.

Repeat the process of applying Bondo and sanding when you reassemble the table.

John

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

mnsneakypete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John,

I used very little Bondo, just enough to fill the seam. It sounds like the scraper and lacquer thinner should do the trick - I wasn't sure how hard it was to get that stuff off again in order to get a clean surface.

I appreciate the info - thanks for the reply!

-Pete

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
John,

I used very little Bondo, just enough to fill the seam. It sounds like the scraper and lacquer thinner should do the trick - I wasn't sure how hard it was to get that stuff off again in order to get a clean surface.

I appreciate the info - thanks for the reply!

-Pete

Score the Bondo along the seams with a box cutter.

mnsneakypete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will do, thanks. I had seen one of Glen's posts earlier that recommended that so the slate doesn't chip. Thanks!