Attachments

• raymartin.jpg
    raymartin.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 1,782
Last edited:

joe c

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That video was taken at the cue connection in merrimack n.h.I was there and took a lesson from Ray that week. what a great person and teacher/player he is.it was the best 50. I ever spent.
thanks for bringing back the memory.I also was woundering where you got the video.Al Baron had alot of videos and also brought in alot of pros for teaching and shows.
Joe C

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
joe c said:
That video was taken at the cue connection in merrimack n.h.I was there and took a lesson from Ray that week. what a great person and teacher/player he is.it was the best 50. I ever spent.
thanks for bringing back the memory.I also was woundering where you got the video.Al Baron had alot of videos and also brought in alot of pros for teaching and shows.
Joe C

I got the video from Rolando Aravena who works at Amsterdam Billiard Club. I don't know where he got it.
What year do you figure that was??

nasc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joe
I spoke With Dave G. He said 88-89 was the time frame. Brings back memories ..hey.
Glen

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought this was great. I took a few lessons from Wayne Norcross a couple months ago. Very similar commentary.

"Now you just can't start running balls" is something he would keep saying.

Watching Ray really drills it home. See a problem cluster, make a plan, try to execute, take advantage of position errors if something better comes up, make a couple balls, re-evaluate situation.

I noticed Ray was very wary of losing the cueball and "going in the hole". Also, he kept saying don't move the balls if you don't need to, because you can tie them up.

He didn't baby the balls. Shot them pretty firm.

At one point, he instructed not to drop the elbow, but he did it a lot to complete the follow through. His grip hand moves about six to eight inches past vertical.

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I asked this question a couple times on the "short backstroke" thread, but no replies.

Look at Ray's stroke, between 19:00 and 20:00.

A spectator makes a comment that Ray's upper arm remains still, and Ray says, "You don't need to go doing this", illustrating elbow drop.

He then proceeds to run out the rack, dropping his elbow on the follow through. His stroke hand never swings up in an arc toward his chest. It only goes straight forward.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
ghostball said:
I believe i did that tape in 1989 because i was in FLORIDA in 1988 and AL BARON asked me to do a show in his room,good luck and stay well.
RAY MARTIN

Ray,

If you are interested in doing some more clinics like this, get with me and I can arrange it for you. I go to Largo quite often (i'll be there this weekend) and it would be great to have you sharing your knowledge and bringing 14.1 back to the forefront where it belongs.

David Sapolis
(Blackjack)

ghostball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
David -

Yes, I would be interested in doing more clinics like this one. It was fun. Give me a call at 727 798-5561 and we can talk about it.

Ray

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ray Martin

What an honor to have the great Ray Martin posting in this forum!! With his 3 world championships in 14.1, and a career that spans over 50 years, Ray is our greatest living expert in this time honored straight pool game.

Doc

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
gulfportdoc said:
What an honor to have the great Ray Martin posting in this forum!! With his 3 world championships in 14.1, and a career that spans over 50 years, Ray is our greatest living expert in this time honored straight pool game.

Doc

Art,

I completely agree. He is one of the greatest legends of our game and it is an honor to have him here.

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
gulfportdoc said:

Doc

And I 3rd that, welcome Ray and hope to see you here often!

Kev
14and1.com

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ray:

I took a couple of lessons from Wayne Norcross this summer. Very similar commentary from him.

I told him about your clip, but he hates computers, so I don't know if he'll come looking. He was very complimentary of your style.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
ghostball said:
I would like to thank all who posted for the nice complements, its nice to be remembered.
RAY MARTIN
And while Ray is not supposed to point it out, I'd like to say that his "99 Critical Shots in Pool" has just been re-published -- 30-year anniversary edition! -- and should be in a major bookstore near you.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Blackjack said:

Is there anything new about the anniversary edition? Can it be purchased somewhere with an autograph by Mr. Martin?

My copy is about worn out from being perused several times daily.( It occupies the "spot" where it gets read more than any other book or periodical in the house... if you get my drift. :D )

I would love to buy a 30th Anniversary copy from a source where Mr. Martin would make $$$ and I'd really like a signed copy. Any available? .... for extra cash??? (I'll bet I'm not alone in wanting this to be available)

ghostball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Autographing Books

I would be happy to autograph any of the 99 Critical Shots in Pool you have. Just send them to me with a self-addressed stamped envelope and I will get them right back to you. Call me for the address, 727 798-5561.

Books are available at Borders, Barnes and Noble, and online if you need a copy of the new edition.