Best ferrule

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just got a new cue and the ferrule is Buffalo Horn. While being black would be distracting for some, it doesn't bother me. The cue is Ebony and Birdseye Maple, so it works well. Most of my other cues have ivory ferrules, and I think the hit of the Buffalo Horn is pretty close.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
These. Caramelarta .

Attachments

• DSC02514.JPG
    DSC02514.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 463

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I just got a new cue and the ferrule is Buffalo Horn. While being black would be distracting for some, it doesn't bother me. The cue is Ebony and Birdseye Maple, so it works well. Most of my other cues have ivory ferrules, and I think the hit of the Buffalo Horn is pretty close.

They're not close . Ivory hits much harder.
Closest to ivory would be white tail antler tips.

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ferrule

I'm sorry if I'm hijacking your post. Just a thought occurred when reading your post. In 1960 I remember playing with a housecue that had a black ferrule. It was a very old one I believe predated plastic ferrules. Anybody know that material? They hit great.
sorry again, I know you had a ferrule in mind. Which is it and why do you like it?
Bill

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They're not close . Ivory hits much harder.
Closest to ivory would be white tail antler tips.

Thanks. Will discuss with cue maker. These are “house cues” I’m having made for the Gameroom, but they hit really great.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sorry if I'm hijacking your post. Just a thought occurred when reading your post. In 1960 I remember playing with a housecue that had a black ferrule. It was a very old one I believe predated plastic ferrules. Anybody know that material? They hit great.
sorry again, I know you had a ferrule in mind. Which is it and why do you like it?
Bill

Sounds like the old fiber ferrules.

IMG_231020_053752.jpg

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do they still make the fiber ferrules?

I don't believe they're made anymore.
Chris Hightower once said in another thread they're sought of collectible and worth about 30 bucks each.
As you can see, I have both black and white. Just sitting around collecting dust.:cool:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't believe they're made anymore.
Chris Hightower once said in another thread they're sought of collectible and worth about 30 bucks each.
As you can see, I have both black and white. Just sitting around collecting dust.:cool:

I remember saying the Original Meucci ferrules from the 1980s were worth $30. But for old fiber ferrules I think maybe $5 to $10 would be about tops currently. They will be needed for restoration work on old cues. I dont think I would sell any of mine for $5, but would for $10 until I sold half of them.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember saying the Original Meucci ferrules from the 1980s were worth $30. But for old fiber ferrules I think maybe $5 to $10 would be about tops currently. They will be needed for restoration work on old cues. I dont think I would sell any of mine for $5, but would for $10 until I sold half of them.

Thank you for the clarification. I agree. I wouldn't sell mine for 5 either.