Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Gully

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello this is actually two questions in one posting:

First, just wondering which type of table people prefer (pocket or gully return). Seems that both have their pros and cons. I'm thinking of getting a table someday and can't really decide. It seems that pocket tables are more common in tournament play, however all of the smaller coin-op tables are gullies.

Also, I have a question about lagging vs. coin toss when determining the break. I suppose my question is why or when one or the other is used. I've been watching the Legendary Stars of Pocket Billiards on ESPN Classic recently, and they primarily use the lag, but I've also seen the coin toss used as well. Is it up to the players or the referee to decide which to use?

Thanks

8Ball48043

Addicted to the Sport
Silver Member
For a home table, I'd get one with a ball return. Simple. It's easier to set-up and do drills if you can stand at one end of the table and retrieve any balls pocketed to set up the drill again or set up the next drill.

Lagging for break (or, choice of break) is older than flipping. You'll see most 14.1 player lag for the break. It's more traditional.

Personally: Which ever method both players agree to .... Is the right method!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
It seems that pocket tables are more common in tournament play, however all of the smaller coin-op tables are gullies.

That's because, coin-op tables won't work with drop pockets, so they ALL have gully drop pockets to return the balls to the coin drop side;) Most all drop pocket tables have drop pockets because they don't really have the best ball returns;)

Glen

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I don't go for the coin flip. Too much is riding on a coin toss. There should be some skill to why you get the break option. Esp in 9-ball and 10-ball with winner breaks. But even in alt break it can mean that you get first break and first break on hill-hill. I also prefere the subway return. Johnnyt

muddawg

Chill Out
Silver Member
I prefer tables with ball return. You should probably start a poll on this for a better idea. More people will vote than reply.

As far as why or when people choose to lag rather than flip or vice-versa, it's really just what both players feel like doing/ agree to do; however, I don't see many people lagging anymore but I prefer to do it.

ascreech

Registered
I prefer to lag for the break - skill vs. luck imo. I think it's odd the older guys (50+, I'm 35) in my local tourny prefer to flip, and give dirty looks and pissed off attitude if they have to lag (local rule is you must lag if one of the two players wants to). I figure the lag is a specific part of the game requiring a specific skill; I can't figure out why it bothers them so much.