Can you do it?

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After you miss a shot, can you keep yourself from looking at the table to see whether you left your opponent a shot or a safe? I've tried, and it's almost impossible.

When you think about it, it shouldn't make a hill of beans difference what the table looks like after you've missed, because your opponent is going to do what they're going to do regardless of the lay of the table.

Now I don't have a problem when opponents check things after they miss. (I do it all the time) It's just interesting watching players (both amateur AND professional) get in each other's way when the player who missed sizes up the table and the eager incoming player wants to shoot at the same time.

TheOneGnat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I check the table afterwards, but to see how I would have left myself. Knowing that I probably scarified the shot for leave on my next shot.

pooladdiction

shut up and rack em
Silver Member
I have to admit I am guilty of this. You're right it shouldn't make a hill of beans difference but I do it anyways. What makes me mad more than anything is when I'm playing league and we're sharing a single cube of chalk at the table and then after my opponents miss he proceeds to chalk his cue! It ain't your shot, sit down! Ok, I vented. Feeling much better now.

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am also guilty of this. I HAVE to know if I left an open look at a ball. It's just human nature to be curious and competitive like that.

I have to admit I am guilty of this. You're right it shouldn't make a hill of beans difference but I do it anyways. What makes me mad more than anything is when I'm playing league and we're sharing a single cube of chalk at the table and then after my opponents miss he proceeds to chalk his cue! It ain't your shot, sit down! Ok, I vented. Feeling much better now.

Next time someone does that to you, tell them, "You're not going to miscue from your chair. Can I have the chalk please?" :grin:

pooladdiction

shut up and rack em
Silver Member
I am also guilty of this. I HAVE to know if I left an open look at a ball. It's just human nature to be curious and competitive like that.

Next time someone does that to you, tell them, "You're not going to miscue from your chair. Can I have the chalk please?" :grin:

That's a good comeback. I'm using it. Thx

justmedude2001

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i dont mind this at all, but what REALLY drives me up a wall is when i'm in the middle of my turn at the table and my opp jumps up from his chair to see if i can see my next shot or not when i'm close to being blocked. ok ok i know everybody is curious to know if their opp is snookered and standing up to get a better view of the table is one thing but running over to the table to look at the shot is ridiculous. like what business is it of his if i can see my next shot or not. if and when i miss he can get his butt up then. until i miss he should keep his azz glued to his seat pretty much. potential foul situations obviously excluded. ok there i vented too. wheww