Other new Brunswick tables

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's always a lot of talk about the Gold Crown table, but I can't seem to find any reviews of any other Brunswick models. How do they play compared to the GC? For instance, has anyone any experience playing on a Treviso, Windsor, Gibson or Mission table? Or even the Centurion? I presume the GC is still the defacto table, but I'm just looking at other styles/prices for comparison.

Thanks in advance -

jfred0826

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brunswick Review

Chuck,

My first table was a late 80's or early 90's Brunswick Madison. I bought it second hand. Because I was getting interested in working on pool tables, I used the Madison as my guinea pig. I tore it down and set it up several times. I did make a few alterations to the frame and connectors to beef it up a little. Toward the end, it had SuperSpeeds and Gorina Basalt.

I eventually replaced the Madison with a trashed out GC 2 1/2 that I completely refurbed. I put Diamond Blacks and 760 on the GC.

Both tables had similar slates with one inch liners.

As far as table speed and cushion rebound angles, both tables played the same. I use several different diamond systems for 1, 2, and 3 rail kicks, so the rails on both tables got a good workout. You could move from one table to the other and use the same aim points for rail shots.

Both of these tables were solid wood. Naturally, the lighter frame on the Madison required more frequent tweaking to keep it tuned up, but it was a great playing table.

So, in my opinion, many furniture grade Brunswicks can be made to play very nicely. The prevailing advice on most forums is not to settle for less than a Gold Crown or a Diamond. That's fine if you can afford it. Unfortunately, those tables are out of reach for many people.

The Madison was not a Gold Crown or a Diamond, but it was affordable and a hell of a lot better than having nothing at all. It got compliments from some excellent local players that liked the way it played.

jfe

jfred0826

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Darn

Woops.

In re-reading Chuck's post, I see he is looking for reviews of current Brunswick models. The Madison was discontinued some years ago. :eek:

Sorry 'bout that.

jfe

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
Brunswick frames are not tough enough on the long run except for gold crowns. that doesn't mean they are junk but every time you change a cloth on them, you'll probably have to correct a saggy frame wich means raising the center slate. Also their slate mounting blocks are way too cheap imo. Despite all that, they're still better than most other mfg .

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

My two cents-> you have a few choices..... either Brunswick gold crown, gold crown and or the gold crown'
If your looking for a home table look.....take a look at diamonds paragon table.