Table Work Costs?

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I've been offered a "free" table by my father-in-law, but I need to figure out the costs associated with getting it to my house and getting it fixed up to where it would be a good practice table for me before I can decide whether I want to accept.

The issues:
1) It's a 6-hour drive away, and I don't own a vehicle that could transport it.
2) I don't know how to properly break it down and move it even if I rented an appropriate vehicle.
3) It's got rolls that let me know the slates aren't really flat.
4) The rails are quite dead overall, with some extra-dead spots.
5) The pockets are absolutely huge, and I'd want them tightened to 4.5".

I don't know for sure what's required to level the slates (shims between the support structure and the slate?) or fix the rails to play properly (new cushions, but also maybe new rail bolts, I have no idea what else?) and I would want the pockets tightened the right way (extending sub-rails and cushions).

How much should I estimate it would cost to address the issues, and get it moved to my house, fixed up, and set up? I'm not looking for a quote, I just have no idea what kind of money it would take, and thus don't know how to respond to the offer.

-Andrew

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I've been offered a "free" table by my father-in-law, but I need to figure out the costs associated with getting it to my house and getting it fixed up to where it would be a good practice table for me before I can decide whether I want to accept.

The issues:
1) It's a 6-hour drive away, and I don't own a vehicle that could transport it.
2) I don't know how to properly break it down and move it even if I rented an appropriate vehicle.
3) It's got rolls that let me know the slates aren't really flat.
4) The rails are quite dead overall, with some extra-dead spots.
5) The pockets are absolutely huge, and I'd want them tightened to 4.5".

I don't know for sure what's required to level the slates (shims between the support structure and the slate?) or fix the rails to play properly (new cushions, but also maybe new rail bolts, I have no idea what else?) and I would want the pockets tightened the right way (extending sub-rails and cushions).

How much should I estimate it would cost to address the issues, and get it moved to my house, fixed up, and set up? I'm not looking for a quote, I just have no idea what kind of money it would take, and thus don't know how to respond to the offer.

-Andrew

So, when going to an auto parts store looking to buy a replacement starter motor, do you think the parts person knows what kind of starter your car takes....if you just tell him....its a car?

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
So, when going to an auto parts store looking to buy a replacement starter motor, do you think the parts person knows what kind of starter your car takes....if you just tell him....its a car?

Fair enough.

It's a Brunswick 8' table. It's at least 10 years or so old, but looking at their current tables on their website, it seems to be a Centurion.

I don't know what kind of starter it needs, though.

-Andrew

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Don't be shocked to see estimates in the neighborhood of $2000 or more, depending on what you're looking to get for materials.

Labor charges are different all over the country. I have no idea what mechanics charge in your area, but there are some constants in the pricing.

You can look up the prices for the materials, but you'll have some decisions to make. Brand of cloth, brand of cushions, and the type of cushion facings you want, all have wide ranges for pricing. You can get cloth for as little as $100, or you can spend over $300. The same goes for cushions; as little as $30, or over $300. Cushion facings are as cheap as $3, but can be up to $15. You may even get a little better pricing on some of these items, if you buy them through the mechanic, but it's no guarantee.

You can figure a rough estimate of $.565/mile (Federal Allowance) for travel cost, but it's hard to say how that would be billed. Everyone bills travel expenses differently.

I've seen guys charge as little as $150 labor, and as much as $600, for a standard setup. Of course, the cushion replacement is an additional expense, anywhere from $40-250 for that (more if the subrails need modification). You also want the pockets tightened up; not a huge additional cost, since you'll be replacing the cushions anyway. But, you could be looking at anywhere from $50-300 for that.

As you can see, there is a huge range in the pricing of labor. You can observe countless instances on this forum where people go with the cheaper mechanic, only to be dissatisfied with the quality of work performed. That's not to say that you can't get a good deal from a qualified mechanic, or that the most expensive guy will always be the best, but it is important to do your homework on the mechanic that you choose to do the work.

Good luck.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Don't be shocked to see estimates in the neighborhood of $2000 or more, depending on what you're looking to get for materials.

Labor charges are different all over the country. I have no idea what mechanics charge in your area, but there are some constants in the pricing.

You can look up the prices for the materials, but you'll have some decisions to make. Brand of cloth, brand of cushions, and the type of cushion facings you want, all have wide ranges for pricing. You can get cloth for as little as $100, or you can spend over $300. The same goes for cushions; as little as $30, or over $300. Cushion facings are as cheap as $3, but can be up to $15. You may even get a little better pricing on some of these items, if you buy them through the mechanic, but it's no guarantee.

You can figure a rough estimate of $.565/mile (Federal Allowance) for travel cost, but it's hard to say how that would be billed. Everyone bills travel expenses differently.

I've seen guys charge as little as $150 labor, and as much as $600, for a standard setup. Of course, the cushion replacement is an additional expense, anywhere from $40-250 for that (more if the subrails need modification). You also want the pockets tightened up; not a huge additional cost, since you'll be replacing the cushions anyway. But, you could be looking at anywhere from $50-300 for that.

As you can see, there is a huge range in the pricing of labor. You can observe countless instances on this forum where people go with the cheaper mechanic, only to be dissatisfied with the quality of work performed. That's not to say that you can't get a good deal from a qualified mechanic, or that the most expensive guy will always be the best, but it is important to do your homework on the mechanic that you choose to do the work.

Good luck.

Thanks, even though you mentioned a large variance you included numbers, and this helps me get a much clearer picture of what kind of dollars I might be talking about.

Does it make much difference if it needs to go in a basement? It's a flight of stairs down from the backyard into the basement door.

-Andrew

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Thanks, even though you mentioned a large variance you included numbers, and this helps me get a much clearer picture of what kind of dollars I might be talking about.

Does it make much difference if it needs to go in a basement? It's a flight of stairs down from the backyard into the basement door.

-Andrew

I think that would depend on the mechanic. I usually expect to see a flight of stairs, but that's not to say that some guys won't charge extra.

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Find a local mechanic to break it done load in a rental uhaul you drive it then find a good mechanic in your area to put it together with the right upgrades if needed.

You can break it down your self basic tools needed assemble higher a pro. Cost is cheap in the begining and you higher smart and pay for it in the end but it will play great.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pull the slates apart before you lift them !
It's a tragedy how many people crack the slates by not knowing there are pins in them

tjohnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure if this helps, but I was able to move a completely broken down 8.5' Gold Crown in a Toyota Highlander (smallish SUV). Longest pieces are the side skirts and they went from the windshield to the hatchback with still a little bit of room to spare. The weight was no problem.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
9" Gold Crown will fit in a Town & Country mini van. Everyone laughs at me but I love the mini vans. Its like a pick up but everything is inside and you can reach it from the rear or both sides. You can also put the rear seats back in and haul a bus load of people.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
.02, if you don't want to break it down yourself (I don't see why not, far easier than you might imagine) pay a mechanic at the table location to do it as has been suggested lets say $100. Rent a truck, move it down $200 or more w gas. Re assemble. I had my 9' assembled and leveled for $200.

Lets say another $300 minimum for new cloth, and another $150 for rail work.

You are easily looking at 1k total quite likely more.

Jump on craigslist. You can find decent shape 8' tables for 500 all day long. Sometimes less. You'll likely find a decent amount of 9' tables as well.

3-4 hundred to move and re assemble (my buddy had his 8' moved, re assembled and leveled for 240 recently, and they did a fine job)

I've been involved with four purchases like that, so I say it from my experience.

Can't discount sentimental value, if that's part of it.

There's a few options. Hope that helps.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
.02, if you don't want to break it down yourself (I don't see why not, far easier than you might imagine) pay a mechanic at the table location to do it as has been suggested lets say $100. Rent a truck, move it down $200 or more w gas. Re assemble. I had my 9' assembled and leveled for $200.

Lets say another $300 minimum for new cloth, and another $150 for rail work.

You are easily looking at 1k total quite likely more.

Jump on craigslist. You can find decent shape 8' tables for 500 all day long. Sometimes less. You'll likely find a decent amount of 9' tables as well.

3-4 hundred to move and re assemble (my buddy had his 8' moved, re assembled and leveled for 240 recently, and they did a fine job)

I've been involved with four purchases like that, so I say it from my experience.

Can't discount sentimental value, if that's part of it.

There's a few options. Hope that helps.

This sounds like the better idea to me. Plus if you find a Gold Crown you have a commercial table instead of a home table, a much better investment.

ND Fan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll give you fairly detailed run down of what I did in picking up a table 3 hours away and my cost.
Rented trailer $ 75 ( includes ancillary items)
Borrowed a bigger pick up truck $0
Arranged for a local guy to break down and load $200 ( he never showed $0)
Gas there and back $95
Breakfast lunch and dinner (fast food for 2) $40
Diamond cushions $130
Paid to have cushions replaced, moved to basement, assembled and recovered $580.

$910

Plus the cost of the table $700...

Right around the " I shouldn't get in any trouble budget" of $1500

Last edited: