Jumping

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's best way to learn to jump? I just bought a jump cue; never really jumped before just kicked. I'm trying it but not really getting in. Any vids or tools that will help me figure it out? thanks !

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
What's best way to learn to jump? I just bought a jump cue; never really jumped before just kicked. I'm trying it but not really getting in. Any vids or tools that will help me figure it out? thanks !

To jump, first, lower your body and bend your knees, than spring high into the air! Just kidding.

Here's a little quickie on jump alignment and aim.

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To jump, first, lower your body and bend your knees, than spring high into the air! Just kidding.

Here's a little quickie on jump alignment and aim.

Great article sir. Thank you. Can't wait until I get off work and run home and try it. The holding of the cue hard is something new I haven't seen. I'll certainly give it a try. I tried your first tip also but when i lowered my body I just fell over....no spring left...lol !

RWOJO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put a piece of cloth on the table to protect while you practice.

Angle in = Angle out - so if you need the cue ball to only go 10 degrees of a jump, only elevate 10 degrees (or slightly more). Most players go directly to elevating really high

Loose grip
Dart method - push your forearm against your check, this will ensure that your forearm isn't moving and that you do the jump completely by your wrist. Flick your wrist forward through the ball quickly - but keep a loose grip the whole time.

Stay relaxed and let the weight of the cue do the work. Less effort = more power. so you want to let the weight of the cue do the work.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Put a piece of cloth on the table to protect while you practice.

Angle in = Angle out - so if you need the cue ball to only go 10 degrees of a jump, only elevate 10 degrees (or slightly more). Most players go directly to elevating really high

Loose grip
Dart method - push your forearm against your check, this will ensure that your forearm isn't moving and that you do the jump completely by your wrist. Flick your wrist forward through the ball quickly - but keep a loose grip the whole time.

Stay relaxed and let the weight of the cue do the work. Less effort = more power. so you want to let the weight of the cue do the work.
A couple of slight tweaks for this advice:

1. A piece of cloth under the CB will protect the table cloth, but will also add some extra springiness, which might mislead you about what will happen without it.

2. The CB won't jump at quite the same angle you elevate your cue (especially without the piece of cloth under it), so elevate your cue a little higher than the angle you want the CB to jump.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... 2. The CB won't jump at quite the same angle you elevate your cue (especially without the piece of cloth under it), so elevate your cue a little higher than the angle you want the CB to jump.
I think the angle of the cue ball is about half of the angle of the cue stick. (Actually, an angle with half the tangent, but that's close for small angles.)

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Lot of good advices here :)

But i can really recommend the dvd from Robin Dodson "Mastering the Jump Shot".
Very well presented- imo the best outthere atm. Very understandable.
Good job by Robin.