how are ya'll doing in league ?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had a bye last weekend but had a make up that had to be done since it was the last week of the session. Since all the tables were in use due to regularly scheduled matches we played on the 9 footers.

Although i hardly get a chance to play on them any more i enjoy the heck out of it when i do. Its only the second time this year i played on one .

So as expected i rattled a lot of shots to start off. Lost 8 ball 5-3 in a 5-4 race.

Then about 45 minutes later i faced an 8 in my 9 ball match.. Seemed like i had the table figured out by then cause my rattled shots were few and far between.. I won 46-62 in a 46-65 race. Tough match and enjoyed every second of it. Nicen way to end the session after the lousy record i put up in 9 ball this session. Most losses were to lower level players and their tendency to get lucky on slop shots and the frustration i let come over me during those matches.

8 ball was great this session. Finished with a 75 percent win record .

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
We're scheduled to play our final session of Master's in mid September, and then the playoffs the following weekend.

What has me confused is what we're now playing for. It used to be a Vegas trip in August which obviously didn't happen. I heard rumour that 2020 championships are being shifted to next August (2021) for a two week stint. Honestly I don't know if I could do two weeks in Vegas assuming we win the next two seasons...lol. ...and finally the APA website has the 2020 Master's Championship scheduled for December of this year.

I'm thinking I'll just show up and play like I normally do, and let those who care to figure it out.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We're scheduled to play our final session of Master's in mid September, and then the playoffs the following weekend.

What has me confused is what we're now playing for. It used to be a Vegas trip in August which obviously didn't happen. I heard rumour that 2020 championships are being shifted to next August (2021) for a two week stint. Honestly I don't know if I could do two weeks in Vegas assuming we win the next two seasons...lol. ...and finally the APA website has the 2020 Master's Championship scheduled for December of this year.

I'm thinking I'll just show up and play like I normally do, and let those who care to figure it out.

The Masters is now going to be held in August of 2021. We qualified for State and it's being held on 9/27. I'm already in for the Captain's championship so hopefully I get to fill in the schedule a little bit more :)

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had a bye last weekend but had a make up that had to be done since it was the last week of the session. Since all the tables were in use due to regularly scheduled matches we played on the 9 footers.

Although i hardly get a chance to play on them any more i enjoy the heck out of it when i do. Its only the second time this year i played on one .

So as expected i rattled a lot of shots to start off. Lost 8 ball 5-3 in a 5-4 race.

Then about 45 minutes later i faced an 8 in my 9 ball match.. Seemed like i had the table figured out by then cause my rattled shots were few and far between.. I won 46-62 in a 46-65 race. Tough match and enjoyed every second of it. Nicen way to end the session after the lousy record i put up in 9 ball this session. Most losses were to lower level players and their tendency to get lucky on slop shots and the frustration i let come over me during those matches.

8 ball was great this session. Finished with a 75 percent win record .

Good shooting. 75% is a good session...:thumbup2:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
The Masters is now going to be held in August of 2021. We qualified for State and it's being held on 9/27. I'm already in for the Captain's championship so hopefully I get to fill in the schedule a little bit more :)

I was going to paste in a screen shot of the APA website that shows the 2020 Masters scheduled for Dec 1-5th, but then noticed at the bottom of the advertisement it has it "update as of June 30th". Safe to assume things have changed since then based on covid response.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was going to paste in a screen shot of the APA website that shows the 2020 Masters scheduled for Dec 1-5th, but then noticed at the bottom of the advertisement it has it "update as of June 30th". Safe to assume things have changed since then based on covid response.

Here's a link to where I look for information. Our LO sometimes posts stuff on FB but I'm rarely on there and it's hard to find when I do login so I have simply reverted to checking out the official APA site.

I would assume it is up to date as I heard the Captains Championship was supposed to be in November but now the site has it next year?

https://poolplayers.com/pool-tournaments/

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had another rackless night last night in 9B. This time I played 2, it was a makeup match and it's all they had, I asked if they wanted to reschedule and she said no so I had a little fun and never played a safe. Final score was 75-9, she had to go to 19.

Teamwise we've been towards the bottom of the list because we had this makeup match to do and it happened to be against the last place team so hopefully we can makeup some ground and get closer to the top after this. Three of us played last night and all three won our matches handily, fingers crossed for the last two matches next Wednesday.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I heard rumour today that our Masters league may be doing a cash payout rather than the trip to Vegas. I haven't confirmed that, so I don't the legitimacy.

I was also contacted by my captain and told we have a "bunch of make up matches" to do. This seems very odd, as we have only missed the one session due to covid and that has been scheduled for this saturday. I haven't played every session but we did field a 3 person team on every one. This crap storm of make up matches seems to happen every year, and I'm starting to wonder if it's just an attempt to top up the coffers by the LO. ...meaning an inadequate number of sessions to cover expenses.

I do know a team without hope dropped out mid-season, and based on team count at the beginning of the year they increased the prize pool. Maybe the intent is to continue with the promised payout at the additional expense of the remaining teams...?

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I had another rackless night last night in 9B. This time I played 2, it was a makeup match and it's all they had, I asked if they wanted to reschedule and she said no so I had a little fun and never played a safe. Final score was 75-9, she had to go to 19.

Any break-n-runs on this one?

Maniac

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We started our fall session this past weekend. Off to a good start in 8 ball. Won 4-0 vs another 5.

I would like to bring up something without trying to make it too negative.. I believe i mentioned earlier about a couple embarrasing losses in 9 ball to lower level players..slop and luck lol..one loss was 16-4 to a 3 and another was an 18-2 to a 4..

I like to match up close to handicaps when ever possible but it jist so happened that ome of my 3's had to play a 5. It was an exacf repeat of one of my losses. An 18-2 butt whuppin by my 3. Nothing went wrong for her and nothing eent right for him. She was not even attempting to aim at bsnk shots but hitting almost every one dead center..if it disnt fall.in one pocket it fell in the opposite pocket. Didnt matter if it was ceoss table or long table...they all fell.. And when she missed he could not get on the object ball at all and she got bih and started another run.

I actually felt sorry for the guy when i saw he was visibly frustrated like i was in those situations. That was until half way through the match and he was complaining she was not a 3. I told him over half her points were slop. And that his 3 had beaten me damn near as bad a few weeks ago and no one on that team heard a single complaint from me..not even when they all were laughing...including him at my visible frustration.

Well if that was not enough drama..after the match was oved he grabs their scoresheet and grabs his phone and goes to texting.. Dont take a rocket scientist to figure out he was texting the league operator.

If that wasnt bad enough...luck would have it he faced her in 8 ball where he lost 2-0. I had a few choice words for him about missing easy shots and obviously dumping the match. He kept complainng about she was not a 3 in 8 ball either. Damm i hate drama but i will not tolerate chit like that either.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard rumour today that our Masters league may be doing a cash payout rather than the trip to Vegas. I haven't confirmed that, so I don't the legitimacy.

I was also contacted by my captain and told we have a "bunch of make up matches" to do. This seems very odd, as we have only missed the one session due to covid and that has been scheduled for this saturday. I haven't played every session but we did field a 3 person team on every one. This crap storm of make up matches seems to happen every year, and I'm starting to wonder if it's just an attempt to top up the coffers by the LO. ...meaning an inadequate number of sessions to cover expenses.

I do know a team without hope dropped out mid-season, and based on team count at the beginning of the year they increased the prize pool. Maybe the intent is to continue with the promised payout at the additional expense of the remaining teams...?

I'll have to ask our LO. I heard if it was cancelled this year we would get cash pay out and it looks like it's cancelled. I would prefer it if they would just hold it for next year.

Any break-n-runs on this one?

Maniac

LOL, nope.

We started our fall session this past weekend. Off to a good start in 8 ball. Won 4-0 vs another 5.

I would like to bring up something without trying to make it too negative.. I believe i mentioned earlier about a couple embarrasing losses in 9 ball to lower level players..slop and luck lol..one loss was 16-4 to a 3 and another was an 18-2 to a 4..

I like to match up close to handicaps when ever possible but it jist so happened that ome of my 3's had to play a 5. It was an exacf repeat of one of my losses. An 18-2 butt whuppin by my 3. Nothing went wrong for her and nothing eent right for him. She was not even attempting to aim at bsnk shots but hitting almost every one dead center..if it disnt fall.in one pocket it fell in the opposite pocket. Didnt matter if it was ceoss table or long table...they all fell.. And when she missed he could not get on the object ball at all and she got bih and started another run.

I actually felt sorry for the guy when i saw he was visibly frustrated like i was in those situations. That was until half way through the match and he was complaining she was not a 3. I told him over half her points were slop. And that his 3 had beaten me damn near as bad a few weeks ago and no one on that team heard a single complaint from me..not even when they all were laughing...including him at my visible frustration.

Well if that was not enough drama..after the match was oved he grabs their scoresheet and grabs his phone and goes to texting.. Dont take a rocket scientist to figure out he was texting the league operator.

If that wasnt bad enough...luck would have it he faced her in 8 ball where he lost 2-0. I had a few choice words for him about missing easy shots and obviously dumping the match. He kept complainng about she was not a 3 in 8 ball either. Damm i hate drama but i will not tolerate chit like that either.

LOL, I was walking into state championships a couple of weekends ago and someone instantly starts complaining about putting someone putting a 2 up against their 9. Well their 9 lost (and I guarantee he went ballistic - he lost it last time I beat him). I tried explaining to them that it's not against the rules and some people just prefer to play hi against low (in either direction) because if the gamble pays off it can be huge. I also tried explaining that a 2 doesn't always play like a 2, somedays they play like a 0 and somedays they play like a 4 or 5, it's an average for a reason.

I too get tired of sandbagging conversations. The funny thing is it's always the 2's, 3's, and 4's that are accused of it - they wouldn't know how to sandbag if they were shown what to do. If a higher level player wants to sandbag then have at it, they're the ones who need to sleep with themselves at night.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I faced a 6 last night in 8 ball and lost hill- hill..a very tough match that had a lot of safes after i won the first 2 racks in 3 innings.

Around an hour later i faced the same guy in 9 ball where we are both 6's. This time i started off playing safes from the get go and won 15-5.

Later on after the one table was free that same guy got up and started practicing his 9 ball break...wasnt shooting after the break...just breaking. I watched his breaks when i could as i was keeping score of the last 8 ball match going on.

After the last match i started talking to the guy and asked about the redline rush he was using . i then gave him a suggestion on how to break from a youtube video i watched where he 2 would make the wing ball every time and where the one ball would go ...if it didnt fall in the side pocket or would drift up towards the corner pocket. Be damn if he didnt make the wing ball every time but i told him he was hitting too hard as the one ball kept coming off the side rail and up to the middle of the table against the top rail..

He said thanks on the advice ..i walked away thinking..wth ? am i doing showing a guy who shoots better than me....has better cue ball control than me how to break. No way i am gonna beat him next time lol.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
My Masters team won our regional playoffs. Another entry into the Vegas nationals (in 2021).

This is our 4yr straight, but I personally think our sweetest. Finished 4th after the season ended, and were not the favourites at all. We got it done...

I didn't get to play in the finals unfortunately. My team mates ended it before I got the chance. I lead off the first two rounds, (7-0, 7-3), and played well enough they wanted to move me to anchor for the finals.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Masters team won our regional playoffs. Another entry into the Vegas nationals (in 2021).

This is our 4yr straight, but I personally think our sweetest. Finished 4th after the season ended, and were not the favourites at all. We got it done...

I didn't get to play in the finals unfortunately. My team mates ended it before I got the chance. I lead off the first two rounds, (7-0, 7-3), and played well enough they wanted to move me to anchor for the finals.

It's been a while so my apologies for the long post :)

Congrats, we lost our masters regional this last Sunday. We have 4 players on our team and one of them is 74 and in poor health. He and I met a couple of years ago and we've grown pretty close so I got him into the league. He's a decent player (currently and APA 6 in 9B) and when he's on he's on and when he's not he's not. I chose to play him instead of our SL7 due to the fact he doesn't have much time left on this planet and I would like him to experience the thrill of the chase and the agony of defeat - and he's all for it. So we had a 9, an 8, and a 6. We didn't have to wear masks but we started off wearing them so they could stream (our LO won't stream or post pics of people not wearing masks). I lost my first match, then our 8 won 7-0 so my buddy needs to win and now we're into sudden death and he only has to win two. He got BIH with 3 balls left (8B) and didn't get out, then the other guy played a great game 2 so we lost the first set.

The second set I was down 5-2 and said f it and took my mask off and ended up coming back and winning 7-6. Our 8 lost 7-3. Then my buddy gets up and you can tell he's off and it's not going to be good. After a few safety battles his opponent took him down 2-0 and we're done.

The team that won has never played APA, they're local players and all are good at pool and usually just play tournaments or cash games at the local hall and they got together to win Masters and they did it. They're all good guys (well all but one) and we had a good time. It's four Asian guys and their team name is 4 Asian :)

For the Fargo people out there here are the Fargo ratings

They had 539, 550, and 587, I couldn't find the Fargo for one of their players but I'm going to peg him at 600. I'm a 612 and I've won 3 of 4 we've played. We had a roughly 450 (the old guy), a 490, and 612. The guy I left off is a 462.

Set 1
Match 1 - 539 (them) def 612 (us) 7-3
Match 2 - 490 (us) def 587 (them) 7-0
Match 3 - 600 (them) def 450 (us) 2-0

Set 2
Match 1 - 612 (us) def 529 (them) 7-6
Match 2 - 550 (them) def 490 (us) 7-3
Match 3 - 600 (them) def 450 (us) 2-0

We were clearly underpowered in this one.

The part that really woke me up was when I told the 7 I was going to have the 6 play. He got all butt hurt and didn't show up and really showed his true colors. Could he have won, maybe, and I would've considered playing him in the second set but that's irrelevant now. Either way, he's off the team and my life just got a bit easier.

And my streak ended. It actually ended last Monday but I only lost 3 games out of the 13 we played and won 75-58 against an 8. Last night I lost by 1 point against 4. I won every game but 2. He was on the hill and I needed 2. I broke and made a ball and was hooked. Played a good shot to hit the one but hit a bit too hard and the CB went in the drink. Other guy gets BIH and pockets the 1 for the win.

Going back to the BCA comments. Here's a few perfect examples of why the APA handicap is way harder than BCA.

In my last 4 matches I have lost 5 games out of the roughly 45-50 games played. These are all lower skilled players (except the 8) so it seems trivial except in APA two of those matches were fairly close and I lost one.

In APA 9B you play for points and then that is converted to a 20 points system for your match and a total of 100 points on the night (5 matches played).

Match 1 - I won every game yet my opponent scored 9 of 19 points so the 20 point split was 16-4. In BCA I would have skunked her.
Match 2 - I won every game yet my opponent scored 25 of 31 points so the 20 point split was 13-7. In BCA I would have skunked him.
Match 3 - I won but lost three games. My opponent scored 58 of 65 so the 20 point split was 13-7. In BCA I would have skunked him as I won the first 6 or 7 games and in our league you only play a few games.
Match 4 - I lost by one point but only lost 2 games, late in the match. The 20 point split was 12-8. In APA I lost but in BCA I would've skunked him as well.

EDIT: APA total for me was 50-30 in BCA it would've been 16-0.

So, it's not that I'm some god on the table but the APA scoring system really does even things out. I see a bunch of couples moving from APA to BCA lately and I've told my friends, they'll be back because the women (and the lower skilled men) are going to get tired of getting their asses kicked after a while with zero handicapping on each game. They do handicap but it's applied to the total points for the night and not each individual game.

LOL, and when I was searching for the stats earlier I noticed I won the MVP standings for our skill level division this session. I hadn't been following that so it was nice to see.

EDIT: Although APA doesn't focus on games won in 9B I have been posting it because I have been focusing on it for two reasons. To see the true difference between BCA and APA and most importantly because I'm working on controlling the table. APA has softened me up in that I only play for points anymore and could care less if an SL 4 makes the 9 - as long as I make the other 8. Well, lets just say I went to a regional tournament and didn't fair well against the two better players I played. I beat the guys (fairly well mind you 7-2 and 7-3) that were my skill level but the other two did a great job of controlling the table and I instantly found the weak spot in my game if I want to start playing more regional tournaments.

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
So I'm not playing much at all lately, since Covid...our leagues restarted in late June, i tried to back off my teams, but they convinced me to stay on, and "fill in", lol. (I have a high risk wife and a higher risk son at home, trying to avoid being out any more than I have to)

So even when I go, I just play my match and get out. Not much table time.

This week, I played pretty well, especially given that I don't play much any more. I beat a guy that i haven't won against in at least 4 years....strange. And our team won big time, 13-1. You never know...

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I'm not playing much at all lately, since Covid...our leagues restarted in late June, i tried to back off my teams, but they convinced me to stay on, and "fill in", lol. (I have a high risk wife and a higher risk son at home, trying to avoid being out any more than I have to)

So even when I go, I just play my match and get out. Not much table time.

This week, I played pretty well, especially given that I don't play much any more. I beat a guy that i haven't won against in at least 4 years....strange. And our team won big time, 13-1. You never know...

I find that when I take some time off I usually shoot lights out for the first week or so. Kind of get that "whatever, going to shoot like shit might as well have fun" attitude.

And it turns out I didn't win MVP, I received a message saying scores were updated and when I looked I was at the top, turns out the scores weren't completely done being entered. Somewhere around here I mentioned a guy accused me of cheating so we went round and round. I don't remember if I mentioned this but my son told me the other guy actually cheated and I ended up losing by 1 ball - that loss dropped my % down to 2nd place. So yep, I missed MVP because someone cheated on me, funny thing is, I don't really care - he has to live with himself.

On a side note: my son who lives out of town is going to be here for Thanksgiving. I'm going to try setting it up so me, my ex-wife/current girlfriend (it's a long story) and my three kids can play as a team - we can fill the entire team. The one coming into town has never played league but the others have. I'm going to message our LO to see if she knows if this has ever happened.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Session ended last night apa
After 4 weeks back from second shut down
I won all 4, 8-10 on this session

Closed it out with an epic battle last night
I'm now a apa5 in 8ball
Played a 5

1st game I run out on him
Next 3 he wins and on the hill
I took the last 3 with tactical play, repositioning balls, playing smart, great kicks safes, had to bank the 8 , had a long spot shot in the 8, and the final was a not so easy cut for the come back
2 hr match, I've never been more proud of my play,

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
We have been playing on our own since June.
Even did a couple of mock tournaments for fun.

APA started back up a few weeks ago, so we could finally finish the interrupted session.
Happy to say we held it together and won 1st place!

One week into the next session, and a few of the other teams did not return. We only lost one player because he got married and moved to Cali, poor guy...

The Gold Coast league hasn't re-started yet. There is going to be a meeting next week to organize the restart.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well we missed going to Vegas by 1/8th of an inch. Championship match, tied up, sudden death and down to match #5. I have my weakest four left against their strongest 7. Our ONLY chance here is to snap in the 8 on the break. My guy lines up the 2nd ball break and lets her rip. * ball tracks DIRECTLY toward the cross side.

We are going CRAZY watching it, thinking the Hollywood ending has occured....

But alas, the 8 ball clips the tit and dies 1/8th of an inch from dropping in the side pocket. Their SL7 plays a lock down safety and my four kicks at it and knocks the 8 in for the loss.

Oh well, great city championship for us, never lost a match until the final, ended up with a 6foot trphy and 1000 bucks.

THEN, last night, I split our team :(. We were handicapped out and it was inevitable that we were not going to be able to keep playing together. We had 2-SL4's , 4- SL5's, 1- SL6, and 1-SL7. It had ggotten to the point that only the 4's and 5's could play...sad times...now I gotta find some fresh blood to fill out my roster.