Cloudy balls

Rye_a

Registered
I just bought a Gold Crown IV that came with a nice set of Centennial balls, but the balls appear to be cloudy. Is this something that can be fixed with Aramith cleaner or restorer?
6ESMgjD.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's like they let muddy water dry on them. Does just mild soap and water do anything?

You're going to need some ball cleaner at some point anyway. Get a bottle Aramith and try it. If that doesn't do the job, get some of the ball restorer.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks to me like the standard finger grease, talc, and chalk--smacked onto the surface on impact, over and over again, for years.

Let stand under tap water for 10 minutes with a drop or two of dish washing soap, then use elbow grease and a terry cloth towel with as much pressure as your fingers, hand, and thumb can muster.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's like they let muddy water dry on them. Does just mild soap and water do anything?

You're going to need some ball cleaner at some point anyway. Get a bottle Aramith and try it. If that doesn't do the job, get some of the ball restorer.

Understand the thinking.... Time and Money but from the pic, I'd have to recommend Restorer then the Cleaner.

Restorer won't hurt a ball that doesn't need it but Cleaner can't do what Restorer can do.

Also its always good to have Restorer on hand during those lazy weeks and months of laziness.

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like mold and mildew from sitting in the box for years in a musty basement. I’d try the Aramith restorer if you already have it.

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a set that looked like that I put in homemade car polisher ball cleaner for a table I was selling. They didn’t clean up so I put in a light shake of comet cleaner and a spray of windex. It worked amazingly well and they came out nice and shiny.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had a set that looked like that I put in homemade car polisher ball cleaner for a table I was selling. They didn’t clean up so I put in a light shake of comet cleaner and a spray of windex. It worked amazingly well and they came out nice and shiny.
Among several other reasons I would never use common cleaning products on phenolic pool balls is this:

Mixing bleach with glass cleaner like Windex releases toxic gases and produces toxic chemicals. One of the ingredients in Windex is ammonia. The combination of ammonia and bleach's main ingredient, sodium hypochlorite, produces chloramine vapor.

My mother nearly killed herself when she mixed bleach and Drano. Chlorine gas was the result.

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Among several other reasons I would never use common cleaning products on phenolic pool balls is this:

Mixing bleach with glass cleaner like Windex releases toxic gases and produces toxic chemicals. One of the ingredients in Windex is ammonia. The combination of ammonia and bleach's main ingredient, sodium hypochlorite, produces chloramine vapor.

My mother nearly killed herself when she mixed bleach and Drano. Chlorine gas was the result.

Also, that comet is waaayyyy too abrasive..

Rye_a

Registered
I went to town buffing the balls with a dry microfiber cloth and they look much, much better. I think the cloudiness must have been residue from some kind of wax or other ill-advised treatment. When my Aramith Restorer comes today I'll apply it and I expect these Centennials will really shine!

CrZVhBp.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I went to town buffing the balls with a dry microfiber cloth and they look much, much better. I think the cloudiness must have been residue from some kind of wax or other ill-advised treatment. When my Aramith Restorer comes today I'll apply it and I expect these Centennials will really shine!
Please show us the result after the restorer and cleaner. They look much better already but they still look worse than any set I've seen in play. The surface looks sort of lumpy, maybe from remaining wax or something.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please show us the result after the restorer and cleaner. They look much better already but they still look worse than any set I've seen in play. The surface looks sort of lumpy, maybe from remaining wax or something.

Agreed. I'd be concerned something has seeped through them.

Rye_a

Registered
Ugh. I'll post photos post-cleaning with products actually made for the task. These may be relegated to use by my kids and I'll get another set for adult use. I'll do a search, but any recommendation for good home-use phenolic balls that present high quality to cost?

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sorry to hear about your mother.
You’d have to use a whole lot more than I did to get a decent reaction but you are totally correct. I understand chemistry pretty well hence my handle. At least enough to be dangerous.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
try them first

Ugh. I'll post photos post-cleaning with products actually made for the task. These may be relegated to use by my kids and I'll get another set for adult use. I'll do a search, but any recommendation for good home-use phenolic balls that present high quality to cost?

I wouldn't be in a big rush to buy more balls yet. That ball doesn't look too bad at 5X magnification. I would play with that set awhile and see if you have any issues.

The cheap dynasphere balls play very well. Made in china, with oversight from Belgium. Somebody has damned good eyes and a heck of a telescope!

Hu

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How about now?
Those look much better. There is still some "lumpiness" to the surface. On a brand new ball, it's like a mirror finish and reflections have sharper edges.

How do they play? That's the real test.

I think it is a good idea after the cleaner step to rinse the balls in clear, warm water to make sure any residue of the cleaner is gone.