Local pool room etiquette

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm getting back into the game. For a short time (some time ago), I had my own table set up, but that's no longer possible due to space. I used to play a lot in high school and college and played with friends at a local room. The only pool I've played during the last 10-15 years are non-serious games on barboxes with friends. I'm ready to get more serious and maybe join a league, but I need to practice and bring my game up to a higher level.

So, the only way I can practice is by going to a local room by myself. (most of my friends don't play, or don't have time, or aren't into it as much as me)

My question is this, since it's been a while:

If I'm playing by myself on a table at a "serious" pool hall, what kind of message am I sending to others? I wouldn't mind playing someone if they approached (which happened last time), but I'm not ready to be placing any money down on anything right now. Is it cool/OK to play alone and practice?

What's the current "understanding" among pool hall customers these days?

Thanks,

Chuck

Koopa

Ricky
Silver Member
Of course it's fine to play alone. You might even find someone to practice a few racks with.

Only issue could be if you are playing alone on one of the "action" tables. You'll get a lot of requests for a match up then.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Of course you can just practice in a poolroom. In most rooms someone will come up to you and try to get a game out of you...and some money. Just tell them you are only there to practice and don't gamble anyway. Most of the time this will be enough to send him on his way. If he keeps trying to get you to play...well I personally have a cure for that but that's just me. Just ask him what part of NO he didn't understand the first time. Johnnyt

PS:Good luck with your comeback.

GordonRamsay

Snooker > Pool
Silver Member
just pick a table in the corner.... that's what I do. If they ask you to play for money....ask them what their credit limit is... whatever number they give you... tell them its too low. That shuts most people up real quick.

Tom M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Koopa said:
Of course it's fine to play alone. You might even find someone to practice a few racks with.

Only issue could be if you are playing alone on one of the "action" tables. You'll get a lot of requests for a match up then.

If it's not busy, how do you identify the "action" tables? I need to AVOID those!

Tom

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tom M said:
If it's not busy, how do you identify the "action" tables? I need to AVOID those!

Tom

I didn't even realize there were "action" and "non-action" tables. Where I go, there are barboxes and 9-footers. My guess would be the 9' "professional" tables are considered to be the action tables, but I really don't have any idea.

When I go, I usually go in the afternoon when it's slow and choose a 9' table far in the corner.

GordonRamsay

Snooker > Pool
Silver Member
Yep .... the four 9 footers are the action tables at my place... and sometimes the 8 footers that are used in all the house tourneys...

Surly

This is it.
Silver Member
I see guys playing alone all the time in my hall. As far as I'm concerned, all it means is that they LOVE pool.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're entitled to play by yourself if you want. If you don't want to play/gamble when someone asks, just say so. The action tables, from my experience, always seem to be near the counter, for some reason.

Last edited:

swrooster

A HOTDOG ROAD PLAYER!!
Silver Member
railbirds

Pushout said:
You're entitled to play by yourself if you want. If you don't want to play/gamble when someone asks, just say so. The action tables, from my experience, always seem to be near the counter, for some reason.
So right, that way the sweaters and railbirds can get some action also. I assure you every room has the 'action tables'. Table 13 to name one:cool:

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suppose I'm not completely against a small friendly wager (a beer or a drink), but I know that betting actual $$ can get out of hand REAL quick. The only time I would play someone for anything would be if I saw them play, too. To me, it's not real fair when someone has been sizing you up for an hour and you have NO idea what kind of player they are.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like to shoot practice drills on the "action" tables, I awalys play on the action boxes where ever I go, I have done that for over 20 years in pool rooms all over the country, never had anyone look at me funny. At one pool room they had a one pocket table up front and didnt allow anyother games on it-to protect the cloth from getting hammered. I used it for years as a practice table, I just showed respect for it and didnt mark up the cloth with the rock.

Ususally the "Action" or resreved tables are up front for Players, and those are the tables to play on because If your gonna play something important you want to be used to those tables cause thats where the action is gonna be, not some box in the corner.

You dont have to be a champion to use the front tables in a pool room, what you have to be is respectful. No sitting on the tables, no drinks on the table, no loud conversations, or friends jumping around. All you have to do is play pool, keep your head down, respect the equipment, focus 100% on pool and your doing the right thing to use any front table in any pool room thats worth $0.03. This is how I played for years-even before I could play, its not how good you play its how you carry yourself. So go to the pool room ask for a front table and start hitting balls for a few minutes and then when your warm work on drills, your stroke, or what ever needs attention. You should feel 100% comfortable after the first few minutes, you might get butterflys for the first couple minutes but close off those thoughts/feelings and when the butterflys are gone, your now a member of the club, a person who is 100% pool, not a social gathering. When your in that spot your game will start to improve provided you know how to practice alone-I'll leave that to the teachers like Scott Lee or Bob Jewett are here on AZ. But all the lessions dont mean diddly unless you have a place to work on what those guys teach you-this advice will open that door for you-how to get a table to practice on in a real pool room.

Poolfiend

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
GordonRamsay said:
just pick a table in the corner.... that's what I do. If they ask you to play for money....ask them what their credit limit is... whatever number they give you... tell them its too low. That shuts most people up real quick.

That's hilarious. I would use that one, but I usually am the one looking for action. Rep to you.

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Silver Member
I would hope that picking any table thats open in your local pool room is just fine with anyone as long as your paying for the table. IMHO it should not be anyone else's business.

For my local pool hall which is a very friendly environment the most important etiquete is not walking in front of someone's line while shooting especially if it's a money game or league.

NOTE:

I practice by myself all the time, I mean I am the only person I can beat. :) But seriously though, when getting back into it the best thing you can do is play the GHOST. By that I mean you play each side equally as hard on each shot for solids and stripes.

Work hard on every shot! don't differentiate between an easy pot or a long hard one. Take the same amount of time on each shot and try to beat yourself.

I am not one for setting up balls on a table and practicing the same shots over and over but if your working on draw or english I guess that's fine.

I find by playing each side equally hard and playing many actual games against myself works great.

Take care.

Paul

cuedaddy

Banned
Custom T Shirt

Why dont you just get a shirt of some sort of shirt

Slogan possibilities:

I like playing with MYSELF

If you want to play just wink

where can I find a table without you attached

I only play for beers Cheers!

10c Tournament sign up to play