How would you play this?

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Set up: hill-hill against a strong opponent. He just played safe and left you this, but the 5 didn't land quite the way he intended.

Facts:
* There's about 1/8" between CB and 5.
* The combo isn't quite dead; merely contacting the 5 ball does not guarantee the 9 will drop rather than rattle.
* You can count on your opponent to run out if you were to break up the 5 and 9 and leave him a shot on the 5, without tying anything else up.
* EDIT: The table's playing very short.

Here's the layout:

CueTable Help

I did win the match, for the record.

-Andrew

Last edited:

2_Fast_4_Fleas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
soft hit the 9 between the cushion and the 9 make it imposssible to make the 9 and force him to play safe again.... now with him playing safe you might have a opportunity to make 9, play safe back, or pocket 5. depends on how he plays. but at least you have another opportunity at the table instead of having a low percentage good hit safe or low percentage offensive shot with what he left you at the moment

Njhustler1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'd prefer to tap the 9 into the 5 and have the 5 sit on the rail, one diamond to teh right of where it is now. yeah, you said the guy could runout what's left, but even for a strong player with ball in hand, making that 5 all the way down the rail in the far corner pocket and getting position on the 6 is no easy task.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
soft hit the 9 between the cushion and the 9 make it imposssible to make the 9 and force him to play safe again.... now with him playing safe you might have a opportunity to make 9, play safe back, or pocket 5. depends on how he plays. but at least you have another opportunity at the table instead of having a low percentage good hit safe or low percentage offensive shot with what he left you at the moment

So to be clear, you're suggesting nudging the 9 to leave this:

CueTable Help

-Andrew

Zitkus

Registered
Too great a risk to turn the rock loose for a legit hit. Your best bet is a foul. Soft hit the 9 to the left side...CB to the long rail. If executed correctly, he'll have to play safe.

downside is, he'll have ball in hand to play safe with. And if he's any good, he will just tie you up again.

Alternative shot may be to thin hit the 9 on the right, and send the CB to the top short rail. Risky, as this may push the 5 up enough to get a ball in hand CB in there for a shot.

The pros of this would be freezing the 9 on the long rail, and not leaving a makeble shot on the five...

If the combo wasn't so close, you could even scratch, and let him deal with it...but the 9 may be close enough to be "thrown" in...

I opt for scenario #1 in your case...the risk of sending the CB up table is too risky in a hill-hill situation.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
So to be clear, you're suggesting nudging the 9 to leave this:

CueTable Help

-Andrew

I don't like this play. Giving up ball in hand by nudging the nine is almost 100% to leave either a shot on the five, a simple carom in of the nine using the five first or a simple safe that will tie you up just as tight as now. Letting good players play simple safeties with the ball in hand is not a good play when you have a very realistic chance to make a good hit. The two-rail kick, top rail first, just isn't that tough here.

Marcl3954

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the soft two-rail kick to the top rail first, which could hook back, or leave no shot on the five if executed accurately. It's a soft hit withmaximum right english, as follows:

CueTable Help

I agree. If you miss short three rails could go

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
not like that you left the nine being able to pocket by carom

I can't really picture where you're talking about putting the 9-ball. You're giving up ball in hand, so you have to make sure you don't leave room to make the 5, or he'll run out, and you have to make sure you don't leave a carom or a combo. Seems very tricky not to sell out any of those options.

-Andrew

2_Fast_4_Fleas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok well when you kick it i hope your killing it because that 9 isnt going far from the pocket. comming back to hit the 5 or jawing up in the hole then you have your oponnent carom'ing or combo'ing on you if you hit it 3 rails on that shot with thin hit carom. hit it solid combo. if you miss it then combo. if he hits it thin on 3 railer and luckily the 9 is unmakable then he has side bank with triple insurance....hit it perfect he is out, hit it long between the side and 8 it goes under the six and safe, hit it longer and it goes off the 8, hit it short and it goes 2 rails safe..just my thoughts...

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
ok well when you kick it i hope your killing it because that 9 isnt going far from the pocket. comming back to hit the 5 or jawing up in the hole then you have your oponnent carom'ing or combo'ing on you if you hit it 3 rails on that shot with thin hit carom. hit it solid combo. if you miss it then combo. if he hits it thin on 3 railer and luckily the 9 is unmakable then he has side bank with triple insurance....hit it perfect he is out, hit it long between the side and 8 it goes under the six and safe, hit it longer and it goes off the 8, hit it short and it goes 2 rails safe..just my thoughts...

Very good post. Many bad things can happen on this kick, but the point is that a lot of good things can happen, too. That's why giving up ball in hand to a good player is wrong here.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
i was thinkin more along the lines of this leave.

CueTable Help

This won't work. A good player can not only make the five in the corner from the short side, but he/she can carom in the nine by going thin off the five, and can easily combo the 5-9 by aiming the five into the rail a little. At a high level of play, these are all routine. Against a weak player, this shot has more merit, but the initial post indicates that opponent is a strong player.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Set up: hill-hill against a strong opponent. He just played safe and left you this, but the 5 didn't land quite the way he intended.

Facts:
* There's about 1/8" between CB and 5.
* The combo isn't quite dead; merely contacting the 5 ball does not guarantee the 9 will drop rather than rattle.
* You can count on your opponent to run out if you were to break up the 5 and 9 and leave him a shot on the 5, without tying anything else up.
* EDIT: The table's playing very short.

Here's the layout:

CueTable Help

I did win the match, for the record.

-Andrew

I'm not trying to be a smarty pants, but is the part I underlined and bolded correct? I don't get it.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good catch. My interpretation was that this was the distance between the five and the nine.

I see. After looking at the rest of the thread, I assumed that was what was intended.

My first inclination was to play a safety by locking up the 5-ball as was mentioned before, but the more I think about it SJMs' idea seems best.