What good's winning without bragging?

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I beat Brandon Shuff in a 9-ball tournament last night. Winner's side, race to 5, I won it 5-3. He's by far the best player I've ever beaten, and the only player I've ever beaten who any of you would have heard of.

And for Brandon's sake (especially if he's reading this), I will admit that I didn't exactly "outplay" him. In a manner of speaking I did, since I won, but: of the 4 racks I won to get on the hill, one was a fluke accidental 9-ball I pocketed while kicking just to hit a ball after he played a good safe, and another was a dead 1-9 combo that just happened to sit up perfect for me after the break. Then when I was on the hill (4-3), I scratched on the break, and he was i the process of running out like water, never getting out of line, when he miscued on the 8-ball, leaving me a fairly routine shot with tricky, but not exactly difficult position to the 9. So of the 5 racks, I only really earned 2 of them.

Anyway, I'm not the type of guy who just keeps a straight face and pretends he expected it all along after an upset victory; I feel the need to tell the world. So consider yourselves told.

Oh, and it was the second round of the tournament, and I managed a 5/6 finish out of a field of 22 or so.

-Andrew

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
I beat Brandon Shuff in a 9-ball tournament last night. Winner's side, race to 5, I won it 5-3. He's by far the best player I've ever beaten, and the only player I've ever beaten who any of you would have heard of.

And for Brandon's sake (especially if he's reading this), I will admit that I didn't exactly "outplay" him. In a manner of speaking I did, since I won, but: of the 4 racks I won to get on the hill, one was a fluke accidental 9-ball I pocketed while kicking just to hit a ball after he played a good safe, and another was a dead 1-9 combo that just happened to sit up perfect for me after the break. Then when I was on the hill (4-3), I scratched on the break, and he was i the process of running out like water, never getting out of line, when he miscued on the 8-ball, leaving me a fairly routine shot with tricky, but not exactly difficult position to the 9. So of the 5 racks, I only really earned 2 of them.

Anyway, I'm not the type of guy who just keeps a straight face and pretends he expected it all along after an upset victory; I feel the need to tell the world. So consider yourselves told.

Oh, and it was the second round of the tournament, and I managed a 5/6 finish out of a field of 22 or so.

-Andrew
A win is a win and I'll take'em any way I can get'em. Nice feather in your cap. :thumbup:

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not bragging

IMHO reporting results is not bragging. And even if it was , when you win at pool you always win ,"bragging rights.":thumbup:

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member

-Andrew

If you think you are bragging, please keep it up, I wish more people would "brag" like you.

I played a guy that I normally beat 9 out 10 times. For whatever reason he beat me and for the next week or so, I heard from everyone how he was able to exploit my weaknesses and wax me (this is bragging). Need less to say, he lost to me 10-1 the next time we matched up.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
If you think you are bragging, please keep it up, I wish more people would "brag" like you.

I played a guy that I normally beat 9 out 10 times. For whatever reason he beat me and for the next week or so, I heard from everyone how he was able to exploit my weaknesses and wax me (this is bragging). Need less to say, he lost to me 10-1 the next time we matched up.

Well, there's bragging and then there's being full of sh**. I like to try to stay on the bragging side of that line. Occasionally I venture towards trash-talking, but generally only when the opponent is a friend.

-Andrew

MarcusG19

Future Best In Canada
Silver Member
brag all day, lol. just dont get in the face of the guy you beat, wear that smile when you shake his hand though.
during the qualifiers for the canadians, i beat an open level player 9-6 in the open qualifier, when i wasnt even winning the amateur qualifiers, i played great, he played bad. i outplayed a player tens times my skill level. i couldnt get the smile off my face for the rest of the day even after i got knocked out next round lol

the best part was that everyone was watching cause there was only one other match eign played. but i still mentoin it here and there. lol

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Better to be lucky than smart.:grin:

I gloat when I win, pout when I lose. Been doing a lot of pouting lately:mad::mad::mad:

blah blah

Shoebat

Hear, hear.

Congrats on your win, Andrew. Anything can happen against anyone, if you just allow yourself to BE there, IN the game.

As far as bragging without reason: I used to regularly play these high school kids on my lunch break when I was 20. One day my playing was starting to get close to my shift, so I scratched to let the guy win, which he did. He jumped up and screamed for all to hear, "YESSS!! I finally BEAT the silly old cow!" (Mind you I was 20.)

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Good for you Andrew. W's like this make the next "giant" opponent look a little smaller.

Keep 'em rolling downhill!

themack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, it's great you beat him and all but you can't really brag about beating a guy in a race to 5. You ever go to bar with friends and everybody you go with is bragging about you to everybody "this guy is the best at pool... blah blah" and you hate it but you cant stop it. Then some local drunk guy challenges you to a game and he beats you. (It's just ONE game, and anybody can win one game). Then you have to hear that guy from now on "yah i beat him" but you know inside that he's an idiot because anybody can win one game, but to him he honestly thinks he's better than you, and no matter what he'll always say how he "beat so and so". Well if you go on bragging about beating him in a race to 5 you sound like the same person that I'm describing:) It's cool though that you beat him though.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member

-Andrew

You know according to the Bible Pride is one of the mortal sin's, but in this case I think you should be proud of your accomplishment. You appear to have looked closely at what put you in the winners circle, and you understand what factor's allowed you to win. In the end when ever we beat a champion it is great for our confidents, next time though he will be looking for pay back, and if he is as good as they say he is, he will be more focused.

Congradulations, and good luck with your next encounter with that young man.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Well, it's great you beat him and all but you can't really brag about beating a guy in a race to 5.

Yes I can! See post #1.

Anyway, I understand what you're saying with the rest of your post, that's why I included the second paragraph explaining how I won and the role played by luck.

-Andrew

stick8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
win??

-Andrew

Well cong--on your win, but dont get to high on that fence crowing, as i think he will play you any time anywhere,a man has not beat me until he walks out with a pocket full of my money!! so if he is a gambler watch out he might be setting you up!!! JUST A WORD FROM THE WISE!!:p

Apocalypse2017

Welcome to the resistance
Silver Member
You ever go to bar with friends and everybody you go with is bragging about you to everybody "this guy is the best at pool... blah blah" and you hate it but you cant stop it. Then some local drunk guy challenges you to a game and he beats you. (It's just ONE game, and anybody can win one game). Then you have to hear that guy from now on "yah i beat him" but you know inside that he's an idiot because anybody can win one game, but to him he honestly thinks he's better than you, and no matter what he'll always say how he "beat so and so". Well if you go on bragging about beating him in a race to 5 you sound like the same person that I'm describing:) It's cool though that you beat him though.

I have that rep at the local bar I go to. I'm the big fish in a small pond, and everyone wants to take a shot at me. When I get there I crush everyone, but after a few drinks I'm just banging balls around. I have to hear it from everyone...including my girlfriend (which might be the worst:rolleyes:) They scream out "I JUST BEAT SO AND SO". (on a little bar box with buckets;)) And under my breath I'm thinking yeah play me on a real table and I'll make you look stupid. :cool:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well...he is a gambler watch out he might be setting you up!!! JUST A WORD FROM THE WISE!!:p

That is just silly talk.

That said, you might want to be careful about Stevie Moore. He might be setting you up.

Manning! Enjoy it! Brandon won't lose focus like that too many times!

Last edited:

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
so if he is a gambler watch out he might be setting you up!!!

He's a gambler, but he understands that in his pool room that he plays in every day, there's nobody there he can "set up", since we've all seen him play many many times at a level we know we can't compete with. So he really doesn't bother hiding any speed in there (I'm not sure he hides any speed anywhere, that doesn't really seem to be his style).

Just before the match, in fact, he was bragging about the previous night's game involving the 10-ball ghost, with Brandon spotting the ghost a little weight. I don't want to knock his action, but unless he was exaggerating it was a pretty impressive feat, and one that I would have bet against.

-Andrew

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm only a B player but won against master player the other night; much like the same circumstances. He'd make some great shots only to get down to the last 3 or 4 balls and miss leaving me a easy out. I said something, not bragging and his come back was anyone can run 4 balls; true. Well against his partner I did have a few 7 ball runs and still think it was a little talent and a bit of luck. That's why when asked how I did I say I got lucky. On the other hand it proves the point anyone can have a bad or good day. I just happen to have a lucky one.