'80s Viking cue I.D.

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a Viking cue for my 16th birthday in 1987. Still have it. I get a lot of questions asking me what I've got, and all I know it's a Viking. How do I find out the model designation? Just wondering if I'm playing with something worth $20 or $200. Any direction or guidance appreciated.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I got a Viking cue for my 16th birthday in 1987. Still have it. I get a lot of questions asking me what I've got, and all I know it's a Viking. How do I find out the model designation? Just wondering if I'm playing with something worth $20 or $200. Any direction or guidance appreciated.

How about putting pics up on this cue or at least a description. We can probably help.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just by looking at the picture you posted I would say its not a Viking but a Stealth cue. :grin:

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a (not great) picture of it. Nothing special, just a plain jane cue.

Attachments

• pool cue 029.jpg
    pool cue 029.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 468

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I am fairly sure your cue is a A45 from 1983. Rosewood and maple with a value of $100 in new unused condition. Certainly your sentimental value is much greater:wink:.

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Revisiting this thread. Can anyone tell me if it has a weight bolt? I think it's probably about 20+ oz, but I want to go lighter. Does the bumper come off without ruining it? I've been playing around with it, but am concern I'll do unnecessary harm.

Thanks

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just twist and pull, the bumper comes right out. Of course...I can't guarantee anything, if it is dry rotted it could split/crack. This Viking bumpers are kind of tight so it takes a bit of force. To get it seated all the way back in takes some twisting as well.

I have one Viking from the eighties with no weight bolt, it's about a 1980 though, so earlier than yours. I have a 1970's one that does have a bolt. Then I have one from the 1990's that has one. Sorry I don't know if yours will have one, but it is easy to check.

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got the bumper removed, but not sure I can remove the bolt. I can see some kind of screw, but there some plastic piece that's kind of in the way. Wonder if it's safe to chip or file it away? Pardon for the poor quality.

Attachments

• photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 323

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sometimes on lower end Vikings the weight bolt was epoxied in, so yours may not be gotten out easily.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eeeek. Looks epoxied in to me. If you really, really want it out have a cue repair guy or CM do it. I have gotten them out myself on my own a couple of times but holy cow it's a lot of effort with the risk you will screw up the cue.