How do I stop touching my balls?

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
Sorry but it was too obvious of a joke to pass up.

OK, so here's a question that I don't see asked very often so I'll create a new thread.

I noticed that the Open has a "foul on all balls" rule. As a beginner, I find that I do actually bump other balls on the table from time to time. Obviously, it's not something I'm trying to do but when bridging over a ball or very close to another ball I do have a bad habit of bumping a ball with the my arm or bridge hand every now and then. In most leagues and tournaments I have played in, you simply tell the opponent and they have the option to leave it or put it back. However, it's always embarrassing and now it looks like if I played in a bigger tournament it might be a foul.

Are there any techniques or pre-shot routine steps that you take to prevent hitting balls as much? Should I try actually bridging my hand without the cue in a spot to make sure I'm clear of other balls before setting up my shot?

Is it just an experience and confidence issue?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just try playing with the rule. If there is a penalty for touching a ball there is a chance you will improve. No penalty, no improvement. You don't have to ask your opponent to honor the rule, just do it yourself.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

OK, so here's a question that I don't see asked very often so I'll create a new thread.

I noticed that the Open has a "foul on all balls" rule. As a beginner, I find that I do actually bump other balls on the table from time to time. Obviously, it's not something I'm trying to do but when bridging over a ball or very close to another ball I do have a bad habit of bumping a ball with the my arm or bridge hand every now and then. In most leagues and tournaments I have played in, you simply tell the opponent and they have the option to leave it or put it back. However, it's always embarrassing and now it looks like if I played in a bigger tournament it might be a foul.

Are there any techniques or pre-shot routine steps that you take to prevent hitting balls as much? Should I try actually bridging my hand without the cue in a spot to make sure I'm clear of other balls before setting up my shot?

Just like anything else, it takes practice. You haven't practiced it enough. It's hard work making sure not to touch any balls on the table. You have to be willing to do the work and then put in the practice time.

If you wait until you're in competition without significant practice, you will fail.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member

Without seeing your technique in person, it's a challenge to help. You may have a loose sloppy bridge, you may not have a good pre-shot routine, or just very small hands.

I have a good friend who plays pretty well, but touches a lot of balls unintentionally because he has very small hands and uses only a closed bridge, making it very difficult to shoot over balls. To make matters worse, he's a bit stubborn when it comes to changing anything about his game...

Books, magazine articles, and comments here may help, but there's really no substitute for a good instructor.

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
Without seeing your technique in person, it's a challenge to help. You may have a loose sloppy bridge, you may not have a good pre-shot routine, or just very small hands.

I have a good friend who plays pretty well, but touches a lot of balls unintentionally because he has very small hands and uses only a closed bridge, making it very difficult to shoot over balls. To make matters worse, he's a bit stubborn when it comes to changing anything about his game...

Books, magazine articles, and comments here may help, but there's really no substitute for a good instructor.

I do have relatively small hands so bridging over balls is kind of a hassle. My instructor is pretty good and has been working with me but I don't always think it's a form thing. I think what gets me in trouble is going to bridge, feeling like it's too far or too close to the cue ball and then adjusting, adjusting poorly and re-adjusting, and so on. I will bring it up with my instructor again but I was just curious if anyone else experienced that same issue. I don't hear about it all that often so I wasn't sure if it was just me.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do have relatively small hands so bridging over balls is kind of a hassle. My instructor is pretty good and has been working with me but I don't always think it's a form thing. I think what gets me in trouble is going to bridge, feeling like it's too far or too close to the cue ball and then adjusting, adjusting poorly and re-adjusting, and so on. I will bring it up with my instructor again but I was just curious if anyone else experienced that same issue. I don't hear about it all that often so I wasn't sure if it was just me.

How many hours have you practiced shooting with all ball fouls? You may think I'm not being very helpful about this but you have to do the work.

Why do people not want to do the work anymore? Unless you're a child, your hands will be large enough to keep you from touching other balls.

Last edited:

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
How many hours have you practiced shooting with all ball fouls? You may think I'm not being very helpful about this but you have to do the work.

Why do people not want to do the work anymore? Unless you're a child, your hands will be large enough to keep you from touching other balls.

Honestly, until very recently I had no idea there were tournaments where that was a foul. 10 months ago all I knew about pool was that it was in a Tom Cruise movie so I'm still picking up details. I was reading the Open rules when I found out that some tournaments make it a foul.

I played a number of games last night pretending it was a foul and being a lot more careful about setting up my bridge hand and what I did immediately after the shot. I touched a ball at one point but it didn't move but I looked up at my opponent right away and he just shook his head "no".

And I appreciate the advice but assuming that I am asking about this because I don't put in the work is a little condescending. Outside of league, tournaments and friendly games at the bar, I practice about 15 hours a week right now running drills and doing the "homework" from my pool class. I have gone from no pool at all to the league director basically telling me my "c" status is about to go bye-bye, all during the span of less than a year so I understand what it means to work. I asked the question not to avoid working but to see if anyone had any drills or techniques they found effective. It seems like the best way to handle this gap in my game is to just assume in my head it's always a foul, even in a friendly game and start being more disciplined.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Hard work

How dare you use such simple logic!

You are correct...most folks want everything quick and easy.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Condescending?

Honestly, until very recently I had no idea there were tournaments where that was a foul. 10 months ago all I knew about pool was that it was in a Tom Cruise movie so I'm still picking up details. I was reading the Open rules when I found out that some tournaments make it a foul.

I played a number of games last night pretending it was a foul and being a lot more careful about setting up my bridge hand and what I did immediately after the shot. I touched a ball at one point but it didn't move but I looked up at my opponent right away and he just shook his head "no".

And I appreciate the advice but assuming that I am asking about this because I don't put in the work is a little condescending. Outside of league, tournaments and friendly games at the bar, I practice about 15 hours a week right now running drills and doing the "homework" from my pool class. I have gone from no pool at all to the league director basically telling me my "c" status is about to go bye-bye, all during the span of less than a year so I understand what it means to work. I asked the question not to avoid working but to see if anyone had any drills or techniques they found effective. It seems like the best way to handle this gap in my game is to just assume in my head it's always a foul, even in a friendly game and start being more disciplined.

I don't think Fran was being condescending, but you're welcome to your opinion.

You say you do hours of drills and work. Does that include shooting over and around object balls? Experimenting with different bridges?

Calling touch fouls does not make a pool game "unfriendly" any more than does calling a double hit in volleyball or double dribble in basketball.

You seem to have answered your own question. It's your approach to the game that needs tweaking and the answer is more discipline...

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
I don't think Fran was being condescending, but you're welcome to your opinion.

You say you do hours of drills and work. Does that include shooting over and around object balls? Experimenting with different bridges?

Calling touch fouls does not make a pool game "unfriendly" any more than does calling a double hit in volleyball or double dribble in basketball.

You seem to have answered your own question. It's your approach to the game that needs tweaking and the answer is more discipline...

My pool school homework lately is made up of different blocks of drills with each being around 3 hours and change and yes, there are drills in there for shooting around and over balls. That one in particular is only about 30 minutes though and maybe I need to spend a little more time on it. My focus was always on making the shot in that drill so far though and until very recently I wasn't as careful about how I approached the table and placing my bridge hand to avoid touching other balls.

And yes, I agree that its about discipline. For now, my approach to getting past this is going to be to suggest during friendly games that we play all balls foul for awhile just to help me get past it. Most of the people I have been playing are much better and don't seem to object to that much.

I wasn't trying to be disrespectful to Fran or even ungrateful for the response. I did feel like she was making the assumption that I was looking for a quick solution though. Asking for techniques or drills to help address a gap in someone's game isn't the same as looking for a quick way out.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I touched a ball at one point but it didn't move but I looked up at my opponent right away and he just shook his head "no". ...
If you want to practice by the full World Standardized Rules then note that it is a foul to touch a ball whether it visibly moves or not. If you are trying to play by those rules, and you touch a ball, just call the foul on yourself and sit down.

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how do i stop touching my balls? ~ floppage.

why would you want to? ~ owll

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For now, my approach to getting past this is going to be to suggest during friendly games that we play all balls foul for awhile just to help me get past it. Most of the people I have been playing are much better and don't seem to object to that much..

I grew up working in a pool hall and I learned to play "all table fouls" from the beginning, so that is the way I prefer to play...whether in real matches or in friendly practice games.

I only play a few hours a week on Sundays and I don't bother asking my playing partners to play this way because NOBODY plays that way in Hawaii. WIth the exception of touching or moving the cue ball, just about everything else goes here...to include climbing right up in the middle of the table with NOTHING touching the floor.

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't need to defend her but.

Fran Crimi

Accomplishments:
•First PBIA Female Master Instructor
•Former North American Representative in the World-Pool Billiard Association
•Former WPBA President
•Former WPBA Touring Pro
•Technical Advisor for Television and Film
•Working with players on their games for over 20 years.

Last edited:

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
Condescending, showing or implying a usually patronizing descent from dignity or superiority:

I don't need to defend her but.

Fran Crimi

Accomplishments:
•First PBIA Female Master Instructor
•Former North American Representative in the World-Pool Billiard Association
•Former WPBA President
•Former WPBA Touring Pro
•Technical Advisor for Television and Film
•Working with players on their games for over 20 years.

I am not trying to be ungrateful or disrespectful but her comments in this thread were a little less than helpful.

"How many hours have you practiced shooting with all ball fouls? You may think I'm not being very helpful about this but you have to do the work.

Why do people not want to do the work anymore? Unless you're a child, your hands will be large enough to keep you from touching other balls."

Without even bothering to ask me what I had or had not tried she asked the question "why do people not want to do the work anymore?"

To me, regardless of her accomplishments, that felt condescending.

At the beginning of the thread I pointed out that I didn't even know there was such a thing as all balls foul. In the leagues and tournaments I had played in so far the rule was simply that you had to notify your opponent and let them decide whether to put the ball back or leave it. So my question was out of ignorance and not laziness.

In the 10 months since I discovered and have tried to embrace pool I am shocked at the number of times I get jaded answers from more experienced players. So many people ask why pool is struggling these days and from my perspective, it is the attitude that beginners encounter getting into it that is wrong with pool. NO ONE is going to fix pool from the top down. If you want more money in pool it is only going to come as new money.

In my lifetime, as an adult, I have taken up violin, tennis, golf and distance running. In all cases, taken years of lessons or group training and practiced/rehearsed for hours and hours and in all cases found the industry and community in those activities to be open, helpful and at least gave beginners the benefit of the doubt. All of them shared one common understanding: the bills are paid by beginners and not experts.

For many beginners, that is not the experience they get in pool at all. For me, I have been very fortunate to have found an instructor in my area from the very beginning to help smooth out the rough edges for me but I feel bad for anyone else trying to get into it who does not have that advantage.

I don't know Fran and I certainly didn't mean to alienate or offend her but if I ask for advice on a topic I had just suddenly encountered I certainly didn't expect to be told to just put in more work with no suggestions on drills or approaching practice a different way.

For what it's worth, since this post I have been playing "all ball fouls" more in friendly games and in certain drills I have tried to be more careful and deliberate in how I set my bridge hand down and what happens after the shot. I feel like I do touch the balls less accidentally now. I didn't have to "put in the work" as much as I just needed to apply that mindset to the work I had already been putting in.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
If the bridge placement looks tricky, I'll stand more upright while placing my hand down to get a better view to make sure I'm not touching anything, then lower into my stance from there. Also focusing on keeping the bridge arm strong and firm (elbow straight and locked if possible) adds much needed stability for awkward bridging positions.

Lastly, playing straight pool will get you a lot of practice bridging over and around balls and clusters, and it's great for your all-around game too!

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not trying to be ungrateful or disrespectful but her comments in this thread were a little less than helpful.

"How many hours have you practiced shooting with all ball fouls? You may think I'm not being very helpful about this but you have to do the work.

Why do people not want to do the work anymore? Unless you're a child, your hands will be large enough to keep you from touching other balls."

Without even bothering to ask me what I had or had not tried she asked the question "why do people not want to do the work anymore?"

To me, regardless of her accomplishments, that felt condescending.

At the beginning of the thread I pointed out that I didn't even know there was such a thing as all balls foul. In the leagues and tournaments I had played in so far the rule was simply that you had to notify your opponent and let them decide whether to put the ball back or leave it. So my question was out of ignorance and not laziness.

In the 10 months since I discovered and have tried to embrace pool I am shocked at the number of times I get jaded answers from more experienced players. So many people ask why pool is struggling these days and from my perspective, it is the attitude that beginners encounter getting into it that is wrong with pool. NO ONE is going to fix pool from the top down. If you want more money in pool it is only going to come as new money.

In my lifetime, as an adult, I have taken up violin, tennis, golf and distance running. In all cases, taken years of lessons or group training and practiced/rehearsed for hours and hours and in all cases found the industry and community in those activities to be open, helpful and at least gave beginners the benefit of the doubt. All of them shared one common understanding: the bills are paid by beginners and not experts.

For many beginners, that is not the experience they get in pool at all. For me, I have been very fortunate to have found an instructor in my area from the very beginning to help smooth out the rough edges for me but I feel bad for anyone else trying to get into it who does not have that advantage.

I don't know Fran and I certainly didn't mean to alienate or offend her but if I ask for advice on a topic I had just suddenly encountered I certainly didn't expect to be told to just put in more work with no suggestions on drills or approaching practice a different way.

For what it's worth, since this post I have been playing "all ball fouls" more in friendly games and in certain drills I have tried to be more careful and deliberate in how I set my bridge hand down and what happens after the shot. I feel like I do touch the balls less accidentally now. I didn't have to "put in the work" as much as I just needed to apply that mindset to the work I had already been putting in.

I'm sorry if you felt I was telling you how to feel. Not my intent. I have no right telling anyone how to feel or what to do!

The written word can be miss interpreted. I also was faced getting, " jaded answers from more experienced players.", when I reentered the pool world back in 2006.

If you feel someone was being condescending it was. After re reading the reply I'm having second thoughts.

I hope you can cut me some slack for offending you.

Floppage

True Beginner
Silver Member
I'm sorry if you felt I was telling you how to feel. Not my intent. I have no right telling anyone how to feel or what to do!

The written word can be miss interpreted. I also was faced getting, " jaded answers from more experienced players.", when I reentered the pool world back in 2006.

If you feel someone was being condescending it was. After re reading the reply I'm having second thoughts.

I hope you can cut me some slack for offending you.

No offense taken. I was simply explaining why I replied to her stating that it felt condescending.

I get that there is a pecking order on forums and I am at the bottom of it here but at some point I think there is a line and I'm not afraid to step up and call someone out when I feel like they are crossing it a bit.

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No offense taken. I was simply explaining why I replied to her stating that it felt condescending.

I get that there is a pecking order on forums and I am at the bottom of it here but at some point I think there is a line and I'm not afraid to step up and call someone out when I feel like they are crossing it a bit.

Likewise. Being new don't mean you need to roll over and play dead.