I'm no Tad EXPERT,

Cue definitely looks like a GENUINE TAD,
Really sharp looking cue-
how much???????????????????

Johnnybgood

Banned
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Curious why you would say it’s a knock-off. It’s an awful amount of inlays and hard work to go through for a knock-off. Take the butt cap off and let’s see that stamped serial number and typical coring.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think that's a genuine Tad... the spacing of the inlays in the butt is way off, Tad would never do that. And I don't think I've ever seen Maltese crosses on a Tad cue.
The 'feathers' in between the boxes don't look right, and the stitch rings aren't lined up either.

FYI, on early Tad's, there might be NO serial number under the bumper.. I have an early four point Tad (ring work on butt only) that's pre-serial #, no logo.
I think the serial # under the bumper started in the early '80's.. not super sure, and that also coincided with the TAD logo on the butt cap... and Tad switched from the silver rings on the joint collars to the box rings as his standard joint around then.. you could have special ordered the old style joint rings, but it's rare.

My .02

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Agree it's a knock-off.

Inlay spacing in the C ring is way off. Slotted Diamond in butt sleeve is not clean, can see over cuts and glue/filler in the slots.

RE: lot of work, knock offs are usually based on very ornate cues, not simple or basic ones.

Even the points just look wrong for Tad, especially the short one.

The Tad logo looks good.

And NO, you can not tell it's a Tad "from the wrap".

As other poster said, just pop off the bumper and show us pics.

-von

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   1
Agree it's a knock-off.

Inlay spacing in the C ring is way off. Slotted Diamond in butt sleeve is not clean, can see over cuts and glue/filler in the slots.

RE: lot of work, knock offs are usually based on very ornate cues, not simple or basic ones.

Even the points just look wrong for Tad, especially the short one.

The Tad logo looks good.

And NO, you can not tell it's a Tad "from the wrap".

As other poster said, just pop off the bumper and show us pics.

-von

Who built it: Mickey Mouse?

Seriously, number or no number, who both could have and would have built this cue other than Tad?

Where's that Nick guy? He's just what this thread needs.

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I have seen this design before, but never in person. It looks nice. Very possible that it was a special request because the maltese cross is not a common TAD inlay. Here is an example I saw that matches this cue.

attachment.php

Also, Tad and Fred don't always make their inlays equally spaced between each others if it is part of the design element for that particular cue to have offset spacing. Here is an example where inlay spacing isn't equidistant.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20140508_df717c.JPG
    20140508_df717c.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 3,291
  • f0009758_10433051.jpg
    f0009758_10433051.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 3,175
Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Not one thing in those original pics shows it's a "knock off"...LOL..The cue pictured is definitely a REAL Tad. Now whether the seller is scamming, that I don't know.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have seen this design before, but never in person. It looks nice. Very possible that it was a special request because the maltese cross is not a common TAD inlay. Here is an example I saw that matches this cue.

attachment.php

Also, Tad and Fred don't always make their inlays equally spaced between each others if it is part of the design element for that particular cue to have offset spacing. Here is an example where inlay spacing isn't equidistant.

attachment.php

Your image of the Maltese cross cue looks almost identical to the cue in question...
same cue?? The small example images still show symmetry in the design... Tad prided himself for having everything line up, so I'm still at "buyer beware".
For big $$, you have to see it in person, really look at the construction, get authentication.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Your image of the Maltese cross cue looks almost identical to the cue in question...
same cue?? The small example images still show symmetry in the design... Tad prided himself for having everything line up, so I'm still at "buyer beware".
For big $$, you have to see it in person, really look at the construction, get authentication.

The cue in the pictures is real..Fact. And NO not every inlay lines up with ring work on Tad cues...whether the guy actually owns the cue or is scamming is the only question..

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The cue in the pictures is real..Fact. And NO not every inlay lines up with ring work on Tad cues...whether the guy actually owns the cue or is scamming is the only question..

Alrighty, Skins... I wouldn't spend YOUR money on a cue without verification... you can't state 100% that this particular cue is legit. Doesn't look legit to me.. I'll leave it at that.
S'all good.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Alrighty, Skins... I wouldn't spend YOUR money on a cue without verification... you can't state 100% that this particular cue is legit. Doesn't look legit to me.. I'll leave it at that.
S'all good.

No disrespect to you but, if you think it doesn't "look" legit, then you dont know Tad's work...I'll leave it at that.

If the cue was cheap enough (for me at this point) AND I knew the seller wasnt scamming I would buy it without hesitation.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
No disrespect to you but, if you think it doesn't "look" legit, then you dont know Tad's work...I'll leave it at that.

If the cue was cheap enough (for me at this point) AND I knew the seller wasnt scamming I would buy it without hesitation.

Just to add my thoughts:
I absolutely see this as a genuine Tad, and if I knew it was for sale (and where) I would be interested in acquiring.

BTW, in a busy Tad buttsleeve (I really like every one I have ever seen), the inlays
do not always line up perfectly.
They don't exactly line up in the wonderful Tad pictured in Mamono's post. A very, very nice Tad in mamono's post, thanks!
Tad......one of the very best, innovative cuemakers who ever lived! And Fred is carrying on magnificently!

Sign me up as a high octane Tad cue lover. And I like this cue.
I might be wrong about the cue, but sure don't think so.
I also agree with mamono about the uniqueness of the cross inlay work, that the cue
could be a custom order. Also, mamono's picture could be of the same cue as in post #1.

If you want to see an older thread with a ton of superb Tad cues, search
"Show me your Tad Kohara Cues... please".

Will Prout

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Just to add my thoughts:
I absolutely see this as a genuine Tad, and if I knew it was for sale (and where) I would be interested in acquiring.

BTW, in a busy Tad buttsleeve (I really like every one I have ever seen), the inlays
do not always line up perfectly.
They don't exactly line up in the wonderful Tad pictured in Mamono's post.

Sign me up as a high octane Tad cue lover. And I like this cue.
I might be wrong about the cue, but sure don't think so.

If you want to see an older thread with a ton of superb Tad cues, search
"Show me your Tad Kohara Cues... please".

Will Prout

A nice cue from the Kohara's shop has eluded me up until this point. Everytime one that speaks to me becomes available It seems like I've just busted myself on another cue..lol.. This cue has ALL the elements I would want. Hopefully one day I can make it happen and not just let them go through my hands..:smile: