Turning Stone - Archer Forfeit vs SVB?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just pulled up the streaming Turning Stone Live Facebook video and the banner at the bottom still has the scoreboard up from the match.

It says SVB 9 and Archer 4, however the guy who just commented about the next match mentioned something about the score 7-3 SVB over Archer and Archer forfeiting. He said something like "there will be some comments about that".

What was that all about?

Did he actually forfeit?

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just watching the match and Archer was in good shape to run out a rack to make it 6-5. (was at 6-4 at the time) While Archer was shooting the 4 ball, apparently Shane saw something and called Archer on it. They discussed it a bit, and the commentators weren't sure what happened either. Archer was leaning over the table and might have made contact with either the 9 ball or another ball.......not really sure.
Anyway, Shane shot the 5 ball, and then apparently Archer quit.

That's what I saw, no idea what the actual discussion between SVB and Archer was about.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All balls fouls? I was booting up my PC and the next thing I saw it was game over.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I saw, Shane called the foul on archer contracting the 7 ball while reaching over it to shoot....I believe the rules are still cue ball fouls only while setting up for the shot, and the discussion was that Shane called the foul happened after the shot, so then it is all ball fouls and ball in hand. Johnny may have believed it was cue ball fouls at all times.

So after Shane took ball in hand, Johnny put his hand out to concede at 6-4.

Shane did the same thing a couple of years ago in the Philippines, at a 10 ball tournament when he made the 10 early and called it, but the opponent said he didn't call it, so he conceded right away. I believe it was against Ronnie Alcano.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I saw, Shane called the foul on archer contracting the 7 ball while reaching over it to shoot....I believe the rules are still cue ball fouls only while setting up for the shot, and the discussion was that Shane called the foul happened after the shot, so then it is all ball fouls and ball in hand. Johnny may have believed it was cue ball fouls at all times.

Shane did the same thing a couple of years ago in the Philippines, at a 10 ball tournament when he made the 10 early and called it, but the opponent said he didn't call it, so he conceded right away. I believe it was against Ronnie Alcano.

Correct about this incident. The SVB 10b was, I believe, that he shot a straight in 10b (not early) into the obvious pocket and the call was that he didn’t call it. The pro version of “you didn’t patch the pocket”.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never been a fan of all ball fouls just because I would rather see someone win the game on the table and not on a technicality. But, rules are rules, and quitting because something isn't going your way is a bad look and habit to get into especially if you have sponsors.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member

I'm a little confused on the rules... so it's cue ball fouls only while setting up on the shot,
but then it's all-ball-fouls during the actual stoke?

That seems weird to me, do other tournaments handle things this way?

It's definitely gonna cause confusion and I don't blame Johnny for being annoyed.
I don't really blame SVB either, the rules are the rules, I guess if anyone is at fault
it's whoever made the rule... I don't see the need to split hairs about accidental nudges.
Just make them either fouls or not fouls.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'm a little confused on the rules... so it's cue ball fouls only while setting up on the shot,
but then it's all-ball-fouls during the actual stoke?

That seems weird to me, do other tournaments handle things this way?

It's definitely gonna cause confusion and I don't blame Johnny for being annoyed.
I don't really blame SVB either, the rules are the rules, I guess if anyone is at fault
it's whoever made the rule... I don't see the need to split hairs about accidental nudges.
Just make them either fouls or not fouls.

If I remember correctly...you aren’t allowed to touch the ball you’re jacked up over...
...which is sensible IMO.....Mike could’ve been called to clarify

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never been a fan of all ball fouls just because I would rather see someone win the game on the table and not on a technicality.

I have always preferred all ball fouls.

It makes the game "simple".

You foul, you sit down.

The games is still won or lost "on the table".

I"ve played people who "bump" or "accidentally touch" balls every other game and then say "excuse me" and "try" to put it back in the "original spot".

If you "touch" balls so often that it bothers you when somebody calls you on it, then maybe you should practice not touching balls and develop new ways of shooting in difficult table layouts.

Last edited:

YoungAtHeart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You foul, you sit down.

I"ve played people who "bump" or "accidentally touch" balls every other game and then say "excuse me" and "try" to put it back in the "original spot".

If you "touch" balls so often that it bothers you when somebody calls you on it, then maybe you should practice not touching balls and develop new ways of shooting in difficult table layouts.

I totally agree

RacksByTheDozen

Registered
The rule at Turning Stone is that it's all ball fouls, EXCEPT for the ball you're shooting over. If you touch the ball you're shooting over your opponent gets to put the ball back. Any other ball you touch is a foul. I'm not defending it, that's just how they explained it at the players meeting.

That said, I didn't see the SVB/Archer incident so I have no idea how this rule applied.

peter_gunn

])3a]) s']['rok3
Silver Member

You foul, you sit down.

And than u have players who call foul every time you bend over the table

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When are they going to change the name of this tournament to the ShawVanBoening Classic?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And than u have players who call foul every time you bend over the table

If you get called on a foul every time you bend over the table, maybe you need to "lose some weight" or wear something a bit more "form fitting"..

I've seen a foul called on a person whose "long hair" brushed over a ball when they leaned over. Get a haircut, you damn hippy!

peter_gunn

])3a]) s']['rok3
Silver Member
If you get called on a foul every time you bend over the table, maybe you need to "lose some weight" or wear something a bit more "form fitting"..

I've seen a foul called on a person whose "long hair" brushed over a ball when they leaned over. Get a haircut, you damn hippy!
I'm skinny ;)
Point is some players can use this dishonestly and call non existed foul.
Archer shouldn't give ball in hand because SVB didn't call ref to watch the shot period