Classless

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I think Filler was being a punk. So what?
Dennis had his chance to wipe the smugness off the brat's face by running out and winning. He did not.
Take care of business and there's no problem.
I hope Dennis comes out tomorrow pissed at the world and takes it out on his opponents. That's how you get revenge.
No pouting, no apologies. Focus and shoot pool.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can see why Hatch felt disrespected with the showboating. I think taking an extension, sitting down, glory sipping water, then getting back up for the easy shot was probably what did it the most for him. That said I think TV audiences deserve showboating during high production TV pool to keep things interesting. I think you should strive to have a mental game to not be phased by your opponents antics and the character to shake hands regardless of anything that transpired. He took some boos for not shaking hands. That said, I don’t fault Dennis for his emotions. It’s high stakes Pool, feelings can run hot. I’m not going to make a big stink about his character over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m going say this and that’s it.
Filler was acting like an ass waking around the table sticking his tongue out then sits to drink water when he’s straight in on the 9 then doesn’t shake my hand and had to be dragged over by his captain to shake. At that point I was pissed SORRY. I felt like I was disrespected. I WILL APOLOGIZE TO FILLER. END OF STORY!!!
He was not on the 9 when he took a drink yeah it was a easy layout but the pressure had to be huge on the kid.

I honestly don't think the kid did it to be cocky i think he was trying to calm his nerves.

Here is the table layout when he stopped to take a drink.

Capture.jpg

Last edited:

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps it looked different on TV but IMO what really put a burr straight up Hatch’s keester was when his Euro opponent, with like three or so stop and shoot shots left on the table to cinch the match — went to the chair, sat down, took a swig of water, and then returned to the table.

Frankly, given that type of situation, I don’t blame Hatch one bit.

Lou Figueroa

That was really odd admittedly, but I have no idea why its disrespectful?

There is absolutely zero chance he was doing that because he 'knew' he would clear up and wanted to sit there to bask in glory for a bit.

Its his first Mosconi Cup and probably his first time playing with large TV cameras (as opposed to the smaller streaming ones) and crew in his face, as well as a much larger more hostile crowd.

He was calming his nerves and had every right to do so.

Its probably not the way any of us would do it, nor frankly any other pro player, but its professional competition if that's his way of calming his nerves, so be it.

pmac666

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was really odd admittedly, but I have no idea why its disrespectful?

There is absolutely zero chance he was doing that because he 'knew' he would clear up and wanted to sit there to bask in glory for a bit.

Its his first Mosconi Cup and probably his first time playing with large TV cameras (as opposed to the smaller streaming ones) and crew in his face, as well as a much larger more hostile crowd.

He was calming his nerves and had every right to do so.

Its probably not the way any of us would do it, nor frankly any other pro player, but its professional competition if that's his way of calming his nerves, so be it.

on top theres a shotclock, joshi took his timeout and took the break........no bad intention and nothing wrong with that imo!
i agree tho that hes celebrating bit too much, but hes still very young and the pressure is huge!

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Punk move with three balls on the table - “extension”sits down to take a drink. What an A§§.

That said, stop choking USA, the. We will have less to gripe about...

LeonD123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Punk move with three balls on the table - “extension”sits down to take a drink. What an A§§.

That said, stop choking USA, the. We will have less to gripe about...

Players can use their extension to have a break and settle down. I think it was a pretty smart move from him.

Also, if he did it to piss off Hatch, smart move still. Some players like Hatch can be upset for days after witnessing that sort of move. Psychological battle against an emo player.

I do the same in tournament sometime. For exemple, after a lucky shot against a few players I know, I intentionally forget to apologize, knowing they will get pissed off and lose their focus.

Being emotional is giving a helping hand to those who know how to take advantage of it.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was out of line and this ain't the first time!

But, nothing done then and probably won't be done now!

Kd

Sent from the mobile client - Forum Talker

Who’s going to do something? Lol There is no professional pool league with anyone in charge that can fine or suspend a player. Lol

The kid was rude to a lot of players at the us open. Should he have shook his hand first before celebrating ....sure. Should hatch have shook his hand anyway to be the bigger man.. sure. The emotions of the cup got to both players and they both were a little disrespectful. It happens. Its Not the end of the world in my opinion.

Mikkes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all.....everytime I hear "oh we need players with emotions on the table not robotor from Asia or Europe"...then there is a young talented player who shows emotions and that is not correct/right now? Don´t understand that. Maybe Joshua is a lttle bit over (to loud, to much celeabrating, to much "come on") at the moment, but as a 20 year old Rookie he will learn.

Second....it´s Hill-Hill in his first MC match and Filler has an extansion left. So for me it´s a smart move to settle down and take his extansion and to make the rest of the balls. Joshua is a fast player and sometimes he plays sloppy because of it. He made the right desicion in that moment.

First to celebarte with his teammates and than to shake the hand of his opponent is not right but that happend before in several MC on both sides...so no problem at all. Dennis is professional enough to see a young rookie who won his first match in the MC, so stay over it shake his hand after celebrating and thats it. On the other side, Joshua has to learn from such "incident".

Cracktherack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The right thing for Filler to do after Hatch wouldn't shake his hand, is to grab Dennis with both hands by the front of his shirt and start shaking him. Yell at him and tell him he's about to get his second ass-kicking of the day.

I know Dennis and I guarantee he would make it a day that Filler will remember for years to come.

Last edited:

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
First of all.....everytime I hear "oh we need players with emotions on the table not robotor from Asia or Europe"...then there is a young talented player who shows emotions and that is not correct/right now? Don´t understand that. Maybe Joshua is a lttle bit over (to loud, to much celeabrating, to much "come on") at the moment, but as a 20 year old Rookie he will learn.

Second....it´s Hill-Hill in his first MC match and Filler has an extansion left. So for me it´s a smart move to settle down and take his extansion and to make the rest of the balls. Joshua is a fast player and sometimes he plays sloppy because of it. He made the right desicion in that moment.

First to celebarte with his teammates and than to shake the hand of his opponent is not right but that happend before in several MC on both sides...so no problem at all. Dennis is professional enough to see a young rookie who won his first match in the MC, so stay over it shake his hand after celebrating and thats it. On the other side, Joshua has to learn from such "incident".

Who’s going to do something? Lol There is no professional pool league with anyone in charge that can fine or suspend a player. Lol

The kid was rude to a lot of players at the us open. Should he have shook his hand first before celebrating ....sure. Should hatch have shook his hand anyway to be the bigger man.. sure. The emotions of the cup got to both players and they both were a little disrespectful. It happens. Its Not the end of the world in my opinion.

look sir, you don't know diddley about the long history of troubles with mosconi cup members on and off the pool table. Matchroom has been in the sport for nearly 20 years and should know who they are dealing with and certainly the taboo topics have been floating around AZBilliards for a very long time. So, do some research and get back to us.

The initial disturbance that set the wheels in motion for the Mark Wilson era comes to mind involving the same offending player. I guess they thought the time out would settle and mature them and yesterday was proof positive that a leopard never changes his spots!!!

KD

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We wonder why USA has trouble in the cup. Ill chalk any loss up as karma from Dennis Hatch spineless coward classless move. Shake the damn hand youre a professional.

I saw what his opponent did, don't blame Hatch for ignoring him after that.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My thoughts...I don't see a problem with what either one of them did. I think the moment, the pressure, the excitement, heck the environment, would be hard to imagine for most people, let alone a guy 20 years old...I am perfectly fine with him jumping around and getting excited....BUT I am also fine with an accomplished veteran giving him a not so subtle hint that it may not be the best way to handle the situation.

Look, this ain't snooker, or even pool of yesteryear where players wore tux's and the fans whisper their approval for a good shot. In this era of basketball players "posterizing" opponents with dunks and endzone dances that last longer than the scoring play, (right or wrong) fans want to see raw emotion and in your face drama.

Most on here would watch a stream of these players playing the ghost at the local bar and grill, but the casual fans, the ones that pro pool needs in order to become a viable profession again, want to see things like yesterday. I only wish the announcers would have addressed it in detail (maybe they did and I just missed it). Send the girl over and get interviews and ask what happened. Explain, in the off chance that there were casual fans tuning in, why it happened. Again, just my opinion.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My thoughts...I don't see a problem with what either one of them did. I think the moment, the pressure, the excitement, heck the environment, would be hard to imagine for most people, let alone a guy 20 years old...I am perfectly fine with him jumping around and getting excited....BUT I am also fine with an accomplished veteran giving him a not so subtle hint that it may not be the best way to handle the situation.

Look, this ain't snooker, or even pool of yesteryear where players wore tux's and the fans whisper their approval for a good shot. In this era of basketball players "posterizing" opponents with dunks and endzone dances that last longer than the scoring play, (right or wrong) fans want to see raw emotion and in your face drama.

Most on here would watch a stream of these players playing the ghost at the local bar and grill, but the casual fans, the ones that pro pool needs in order to become a viable profession again, want to see things like yesterday. I only wish the announcers would have addressed it in detail (maybe they did and I just missed it). Send the girl over and get interviews and ask what happened. Explain, in the off chance that there were casual fans tuning in, why it happened. Again, just my opinion.

Just FYI because you asked, the commentators did note that Hatch didn't shake his hand then later one of em (don't remember which) gave a not-so-subtle jab to Hatch when the camera panned to him in the stands afterwards saying something to the effect of "he must be saving his hands for something else". I think that's all that was said. I agree that I wished the lady announcer would have asked Filler about it in the post match interview.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just FYI because you asked, the commentators did note that Hatch didn't shake his hand then later one of em (don't remember which) gave a not-so-subtle jab to Hatch when the camera panned to him in the stands afterwards saying something to the effect of "he must be saving his hands for something else". I think that's all that was said. I agree that I wished the lady announcer would have asked Filler about it in the post match interview.

Yeah, I heard that part. I just wish they would have addressed it directly. It happened, we all saw it, give us some insight from "ringside".

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
He was not on the 9 when he took a drink yeah it was a easy layout but the pressure had to be huge on the kid.

I honestly don't think the kid did it to be cocky i think he was trying to calm his nerves.

Here is the table layout when he stopped to take a drink.

attachment.php

BUMP for those who must not have really been watching what happened.

No need to make up problems and upset oneself about those.

Jeff Livingston