Who is Earl Herring?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would post this on the 14.1 forum, but I know a whole lot more regulars frequent this forum. Earl Herring is undefeated after 4 matches in the round robin phase of the World 14.1 tournament, including a win over Shane Van Boening. If anyone knows, I as well as I'm sure many others would love to find out more about this gentleman. Where is he from and how well is he known in the pool world? - Thanks!

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl is from the greater NYC area. Real good player going back at least 40 years. I think that he is over 62 years old, possibly much over. Great older era straight pool player. I believe that he won some Joss tour events going back 15 years or more. From what I know he was a strong gambler at one time and like Tommy Kennedy turned to religion at some point. I have seen him playing in areas of Northern Westchester County NY and Rockland County, where the World 14.1 is being held this week. Earl played out of a place called the Gallery in Newburgh NY, as I have seen him there whenever I would stop in on my business travels. He may have learned his trade from Cicero Murphy, James Evans, or one of the other past great Black American pool players. I have seen him best Zuglan at times, and that was saying something back then- Mike Zuglan was a force.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Earl quit pool for 15-20 years after losing a match to Jean Balukas (late 80's). He said prior to the match he would quit if he lost and he did. :rolleyes:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl quit pool for 15-20 years after losing a match to Jean Balukas (late 80's). He said prior to the match he would quit if he lost and he did. :rolleyes:

I don't think that was his sole reason for leaving the game. I do believe that he became a religious minister due to experiencing the low points of gambling etc. Leaving the game for 15-20 years is the result of more than just one loss- it may have been just what pushed him into a more rewarding lifestyle - finding religion.

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
Earl is from the greater NYC area. Real good player going back at least 40 years. I think that he is over 62 years old, possibly much over. Great older era straight pool player. I believe that he won some Joss tour events going back 15 years or more. From what I know he was a strong gambler at one time and like Tommy Kennedy turned to religion at some point. I have seen him playing in areas of Northern Westchester County NY and Rockland County, where the World 14.1 is being held this week. Earl played out of a place called the Gallery in Newburgh NY, as I have seen him there whenever I would stop in on my business travels. He may have learned his trade from Cicero Murphy, James Evans, or one of the other past great Black American pool players. I have seen him best Zuglan at times, and that was saying something back then- Mike Zuglan was a force.

He has to be older than 62 -- I saw him in the mid 70's competing against Sigel, Hubbart, Crane, Lisciotti.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a little Earl Herring trivia. Not only is he a man of the cloth today, but Earl Herring was born in the same town as another famous Earl (Strickland). Must be something in the water down there in North Carolina that produces these great players.

Here's Dave Pinkston, Ruth, and Earl Herring on the right. Picture taken in 2004, I think. Dave owns the pool room Gallery Billiards out of Newburgh, NY.

Attachments

• Earl Herring on Right.JPG
    Earl Herring on Right.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 852

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

^^^^^^ would be correct. I played a few sessions with him in early 80's.

He was no slouch to say the least.

As for the gambling, yep, he had plenty of that in him, that's for sure.

Rake

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
great to see a player who yesteryear come out for this event.

I seriously wish Karl Sloezen played in this. I know he hates diamond tables(he has told me they play so different from crowns) but seeing him run 100s as smooth as he does is always fun. and he lives in nearby jersey.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a little Earl Herring trivia. Not only is he a man of the cloth today, but Earl Herring was born in the same town as another famous Earl (Strickland). Must be something in the water down there in North Carolina that produces these great players.

Here's Dave Pinkston, Ruth, and Earl Herring on the right. Picture taken in 2004, I think. Dave owns the pool room Gallery Billiards out of Newburgh, NY.

Wow Gallery Billiards is still around I lived there for 10 years.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
great to see a player who yesteryear come out for this event.

I seriously wish Karl Sloezen played in this. I know he hates diamond tables(he has told me they play so different from crowns) but seeing him run 100s as smooth as he does is always fun. and he lives in nearby jersey.

Meanwhile i saw karl run 208 on a shimmed Diamond and his miss came on a skid.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Earl was a highly skilled 14.1 player in the 1970's. He managed a fourth placed finish in the World Championships at Asbury Park, New Jersey (I was in attendance, but was it 1976 or 1977?) in a star studded field that would have featured about a dozen future BCA Hall of Famers, including Steve Mizerak, Ray Martin, Alan Hopkins, Irving Crane, and Jim Rempe.

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
It just goes to show you that no matter your age you can still be one of the best.

Straight pool IMHO is better for the older player due to the fact its more about surgery and careful planning than fire and braun like in the case of rotational games.

I may be wrong but if someone in their 70s are beating the likes of top players half their age speaks volume for 14:1. If the fire in their heart and soul is there and they have a good site I like them.

Also I think mentally they may be more motivated to win than the young set. You know what I mean??

Its a game that requires so much cue ball control or stroke shots. Unless you are out of shape you dont need the big stroke. Ive never heard of Earl Herring but all of a sudden I want to see him play.

Kudos for him to jump in the box against these players half his age and win. Its very obivous that he has the heart of a champion. He doesnt lick the mustard from the jar.... He's serving the whole jar!!!! Get it my man!!!!

racefornine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ruth and I have owned Gallery since 2001. Earl is still plays when he can. It was a real treat to watch him win against SVB.