WWYD? This out is haunting me

Derek7646

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So i recently had that big tournament with 1 rack matches for the trip to Hawaii. This rack came up to me after i broke, made 2-3 balls and scratched. My opponent missed after making a stripe with ball in hand, leaving me with solids and a difficult out.

I feel i got screwed with two rolls that i got, but i was curious how others would try to play this. It's not exact, but its as close as i could get it with the app.

How would you get out as solids?

Attachments

• ChalkySticks Pad.pdf
    82.8 KB · Views: 906
Last edited:

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, not without a curve shot.

Well in that case I don't really see a way to get out unless you pulled off a super low percentage shot … like slicing the 3 ball in and hoping for some kind of shape.

That being said I would have cross banked the 3 in the side as my first shot since the 10 ball is tied up with the 1 ball.

Then probably the 2 ball, 4 ball for shape on the 9 ball. Then I would miss the 3 and / or scratch and then lose the game …

But that's just me :)

What did you do??

orion21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably stun the one to free it up - he won't have much other than the long 14 cut - or clear the one and bump the 10, same thing. Just don't want to leave a shot where he can then hide you back behind the 10.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can the 1-ball be made from where you are now, can the 3-ball get by the 11 down the long rail, and can the 4-ball get by the 14? Just hard to tell from the overhead whether any of these balls will go.

Derek7646

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well in that case I don't really see a way to get out unless you pulled off a super low percentage shot … like slicing the 3 ball in and hoping for some kind of shape.

That being said I would have cross banked the 3 in the side as my first shot since the 10 ball is tied up with the 1 ball.

Then probably the 2 ball, 4 ball for shape on the 9 ball. Then I would miss the 3 and / or scratch and then lose the game …

But that's just me :)

What did you do??

So i mentioned it wasn't exact because it was hard to put the 1 ball exactly where it really was. I was able to throw the 1 ball in that corner with a ton of left english and that's where bad roll #1 happened.

After hitting the one as soft as i could at pocket speed with left english, i gracefully kicked the 10 directly in front of the 2 where i would have to literally be frozen on the rail to make it while still majestically allowing the 10 to slide by the 2 into that same corner. After that botched attempt, the cue ball went a foot or two up table leaving me a 6 foot cross cut on the 4. I was trying to play position for the 2, but the rails were like trampolines and jettisoned the cue ball into the 10 sending it much farther than i thought/hoped.

So i cross cut the 4 with bottom right and flawless thread the cue between the 12 and 8. Cueball comes off that side rail, through the 8 and 12 up to the other side rail and then it parks itself PERFECTLY FROZEN to the 12 ball. I was playing position for the 3 so that i could come up table to get my 2 ball out of jail and finish the out but the cueball had other ideas.

Now when i say frozen on the 12, i mean frozen on the side where i can see the 3, but directly shooting over a frozen ball on a long shot that practically requires the bridge. Another fun tid bit is that when i kicked the stripe while cutting the 1 initially, it completely bamboozled the pocket in this way.

Here's another image to show where i was at with this silly over the ball cutshot.

It gets even better, so those two balls being tied up by the pocket have about an inch of rail between them and the pocket. Guess where i missed the over the ball cut shot? Right on that spot. Not leaving my ball hanging, not kissing either of the balls by the pocket and at least tying something up, it perfectly missed be a half inch in the spot right to the right of the pocket, leaving my opponent the out :(

Attachments

• ChalkySticks Pad.pdf
    81.3 KB · Views: 163

Derek7646

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably stun the one to free it up - he won't have much other than the long 14 cut - or clear the one and bump the 10, same thing. Just don't want to leave a shot where he can then hide you back behind the 10.

The one does go by and it was near frozen/his stripe was off the rail by a tad. Sorry, i suck at creating these chaulkypad things.

The only balls that had a pocket at that point from where i was were the 1 in that corner and the four only went in that upper right pocket (from the overhead view)

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have just banked the 3 cross table to free it up and put the cue ball on the end rail between the 10 and 2. Your opponent then has to break his 10 out to get out and all his balls are down table making this very difficult.

orion21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have just banked the 3 cross table to free it up and put the cue ball on the end rail between the 10 and 2. Your opponent then has to break his 10 out to get out and all his balls are down table making this very difficult.

Yeah. Ignore my post- do this ^^^^^

Derek7646

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yeah that could have worked. My opponent was a run out player that had basically two hanging balls, so i guess my mind wasn't on the safety in that situation. I also could have gotten out relatively easily if i didn't block my 2 with his 10, which i think is why i was on offence more than defence there. I probably should have played safer given that it was a 1 rack match. I didn't even expect to get back to the table after the scratch on the break and when i did, i had a decently open out without jacking up my 2 ball lol.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah that could have worked. My opponent was a run out player that had basically two hanging balls, so i guess my mind wasn't on the safety in that situation. I also could have gotten out relatively easily if i didn't block my 2 with his 10, which i think is why i was on offence more than defence there. I probably should have played safer given that it was a 1 rack match. I didn't even expect to get back to the table after the scratch on the break and when i did, i had a decently open out without jacking up my 2 ball lol.

Your opponent still would have had plenty of options from ther like playing safe back The 10 also banks after he made a couple balls and gets the right angle for it but that is a do or die shot.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
I'd have rolled the 4 into the 15. Takes that corner away for two of his balls. And his 10 needs to be developed. I'd play the combo and if he gets out, he earned it.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
So i recently had that big tournament with 1 rack matches for the trip to Hawaii. This rack came up to me after i broke, made 2-3 balls and scratched. My opponent missed after making a stripe with ball in hand, leaving me with solids and a difficult out.

I feel i got screwed with two rolls that i got, but i was curious how others would try to play this. It's not exact, but its as close as i could get it with the app.

How would you get out as solids?

Lag clip the one, come up about 1.5 diamonds....roll the two ball and land whitey on the rail side of the long, couple diamonds up, either follow down or punch out to the four ball to get your angle to the 8.

The one ball appears ''close enough'' for an easy chip in.

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Bank the 3 cross side breaking open the 10-1. Run out.

This is also what Im doing. I think you have to be aggressive to win this one because your opponent can easily get on the 12 or 13 from the 11 or 15 to shoot the 12 at the corner where the 1 is to clear the pocket for the 10 ball. If you roll the 4 up to the 15 to take away the pocket where does a ball contact the rail so you do not give BIH?
The only defensive shot that I see that is not too risky is rolling the 13 to the short rail and giving up BIH. Then your opponent has 2 balls stuck on the same short rail, neither with a pocket.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might duck, just ticking the left side of the one, or off the long rail
Into the one... but not leaving the 10 in a playable lie. All depends on
How I was feeling/playing.

Td

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I might duck, just ticking the left side of the one, or off the long rail
Into the one... but not leaving the 10 in a playable lie. All depends on
How I was feeling/playing.

Td

Similar approach....hit the 1-ball full, just slightly on the left side....
...a double kiss should move it over the hole...and maybe blocking the 10-ball.
Fight it out from here.
The first rule of eight ball is “Don’t make seven balls....
...making five or six is only slightly worse.

Last edited: