How much chalk

meopilite

Registered
Do you chalk up before every shot?

I'm wondering how often I should chalk up the cue. I see some people chalk that tip like my dad salts his french fries..... A lot.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put it on like a thin layer of Chapstick
with the edge of the cube on every shot.
It is part of my psr and this way I don't forget.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chalk

When in doubt...chalk. I typically have it down as my preshot routine.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All Brands Of Chalk Work The Same When Applied Properly.

There are premium brand chalks that will cost you anywhere from $5.00 to $12.00 per cube.
These chalks are usually less messy, except for Kamui which tends to be a l’il more messy.
There is also the claim that you can take a lot more shots without chalking but that leads to bad habits.

The most expert opinion about the physics of pool is Dr. Dave Alciatore who’s produced high
speed video analysis of pool shots, explanations of shots & a thorough analysis of pool chalk.

Dr. Dave states that there isn’t any difference in brands of chalk if the player properly applies chalk
after every shot. Not one discernible difference whatsoever in premium chalks vs. inexpensive chalks.

Dr. Dave did not discuss the cleanliness or messy aspect of the different chalks, I.e., flakes, chips, etc.
He concentrated on how the different chalks actually performed and all the chalks he tested performed
identically when applied after each shot. It is also a great pre-shot routine to adopt and I’ve done this
for decades of pool playing. Chalk is free at the pool halls and tournaments but you can carry any brand
you like in your case. Just apply it correctly after every shot and it doesn’t matter what chalk you use.

If your chalk has a hole in the center, you are coring the chalk and improperly applying it to your cue’s tip.
Dr. Dave even explains how to properly apply chalk on his website but do it right & you can use any chalk.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I chalk up before every shot, I never regret it. When I miscue, I always regret not having chalked up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
Dr. Dave states that there isn’t any difference in brands of chalk if the player properly applies chalk

after every shot. Not one discernible difference whatsoever in premium chalks vs. inexpensive chalks.

I disagree... Dr. Dave probably never tried the pioneer chalk... it’s like rubbing a piece of polished concrete on your tip...it’s pretty clean tho as it leaves no chalk anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Holding your cue in front of you and lightly dusting chalk also gives you time to assess the table. Ensures no self-inflicted miscues and lessens the perception of “slowing down” the game.`

Muddog

Registered
Rest butt of cue on the floor chalk centered on tip with one hand roll cue with your foot drink beer with free hand :D

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr Dave is wrong, it hugely depends on the chalk brand and the chalk condition.

I went to a pool hall the other day where they give a chalk that is unknown to me at least, it’s color doesn’t matter but just to describe it to you guys it was light green, it also looked very old in use, I don’t know how to describe it but it feels very hard.

I got my own cue and my own tip, I gave it a try, and with that chalk I will misscue with any shot that require spin, literally I must hit very close to center in order to not miscue with that chalk.

After that I got my own chalk out of my case, it was the magic chalk brand which is a very very good chalk, and now I can hit extreme spin and extreme follow shots and no miscue. Oh I was chalking every 3-4 shots with the magic chalk.

This alone proves that brand matters.

By the way I’m not a big fan of magic chalk either because it is so messy and my hands turns blue after using them, even though their performance is solid, I don’t miscue if I use magic chalk, but man they are so messy and that’s why I don’t use them unless I have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KRJ

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chalk whenever you feel like it.

Seriously.

If you are miscuing because of lack of chalk, then chalk more often.

If you like to chalk every shot to know its chalked. Great.

It aint rocket surgery.

Hell, it isnt even brain science. :thumbup:

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chalk after every shot. It has an added benefit of giving you a routine habit of taking time to consider your next shot, as well as the benefit of avoiding miscues.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tend to think people over chalk. I do use kamui and only chalk once before racks (Why I don’t make a mess when using it) but honestly have done the same thing with masters and predator chalk just to kind of experiment and honestly I never miscued. I guess at the end of the day besides it making your table dirty you can’t chalk to much.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I chalk before every shot. It is always good to know my cue is at its best condition for each shot. Also, as part of my pre-shot routine, chalking puts a mental reset between shots. I try to focus on each shot like it is the most important in the rack. Fast and loose works for a while, but it doesn't take very long before I will miss a shot that I really should have made.

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What?

I'm loosing it and thought Dr. Dave gave the Russian chalk the highest rating . I must be loosing it.

I also heard many miscues are caused by a poor stroke, not a lack of chalk.

But, to be on the safe side watch a You Tube match featuring Efren Reyes and who ever. Watch how often Efren chalks, I don't remember ever seeing him miscue.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I will agree that chalking on every shot as part of your PSR is a good thing, but many times I will not bother to chalk when I'm shooting a slow-rolled to medium speed, short, semi-straight, center-ball hit type of shot.

For instance....I'm shooting the money ball. It's 18" from the pocket. The cue ball is almost perfectly aligned with the pocket and object ball and within a foot or two of the object ball. I won't chalk for a shot like this. There is really no reason to do so. I've seen professionals not chalk for this type of shot countless times. That said...if the aforementioned shot was perfectly straight, then I would chalk as I would not shoot this shot with pure center ball.

So....it's not always necessary to chalk for every type of shot that comes up on the table, but it's certainly a good habit to have chalking up on every shot.

Like the saying goes: "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it".

Maniac

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Asmani........if you don’t know the brand of chalk that the pool hall gave you, it is a worthless comparison.
MC is not one bit superior, nor is BD, my favorite chalk, or any other known brand chalk, over the others.
Dr. Dave is unquestionably the most objective and also astute expert on the physics of playing pool.
He put that issue to bed about chalk superiority long ago, Chalk is chalk when used correctly....Nuf Ced!

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you chalk up before every shot?

I'm wondering how often I should chalk up the cue. I see some people chalk that tip like my dad salts his french fries..... A lot.

Didn't read all the posts but, here is why I buy a certain chalk:

It's cleaner on cb
Its cleaner on felt
It sticks to soft tips really well

It's taom chalk.

I use taom when playing any game where I can't clean the cb often.

Jeff

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Chalking up after each shot is considered a good habit to develop. That being said, it's like checking your mirrors every time you change lanes. In real life, many people get away with it, until a fateful accident or miscue.