Danny "Kid Delicious" Basavich Movie deal

Fleece3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all, Congrats Danny you are a great ambassador for the game and I am sure you will do the pool industry proud.

That being said. To Hollywood. If you wanted to make a movie about a modern day American pool player that would be honest, entertaining, and money making there is a man that should have been number one on your MUST GET list!! Here are a few hints:

Divisive
Controversial
Brilliant
tempermental
entertaining
road warrior
5 Times US Open Champion
6 Times World Champion
once ran 11 racks to win a cool million
ALWAYS on the list when dicussing the greatest nine ball player EVER!!!

Could there be ANY better choice than:
THE MIGHTY EARL "THE PEARL" STRICKLAND?????

Love him or hate him we ALL would go to see that. And not just to see the pool. We would want to know what makes Earl tick.

Personally, I think he is the greatest, on and off the table.

Last edited:

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fleece3 said:
First of all, Congrats Danny you are a great ambassador for the game and I am sure you will do the pool industry proud.

That being said. To Hollywood. If you wanted to make a movie about a modern day American pool player that would be honest, entertaining, and money making there is a man that should have been number one on your MUST GET list!! Here are a few hints:

Divisive
Controversial
Brilliant
tempermental
entertaining
road warrior
5 Times US Open Champion
6 Times World Champion

Love him or hate him we ALL would go to see that. And not just to see the pool. We would want to know what makes Earl tick.

A film about Earl would be great! IMO the greatest
9-ball player, at least that I've ever seen. I agree
whether you love him or hate him everybody watches
Earl when he enters an arena.

The question is who would play him? Barry Pepper
perhaps? He did a fine job portraying Dale Earnhardt,
who by the way looked like Earl.

rmaran01

Registered
Nomoney said:
give Kid D a show on the food channel

Chocolate covered 9 ball...heck balls 1 - 9 different falvours maybe.

Just kidding. I happen to be a fan of Kid D.

However, I agree with the original post, I will definitely pay to watch a movie about one of the greatest (I wouldn't say 'THE' greatest because there's no such thing IMO - all depends on the day, time , location, physical and mental condition of any given player pro or non-pro).

rmaran01

Registered
rmaran01 said:
Chocolate covered 9 ball...heck balls 1 - 9 different falvours maybe.

Just kidding. I happen to be a fan of Kid D.

However, I agree with the original post, I will definitely pay to watch a movie about one of the greatest (I wouldn't say 'THE' greatest because there's no such thing IMO - all depends on the day, time , location, physical and mental condition of any given player pro or non-pro).

I'll correct my spelling now - 'falvours' should be flavours.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rmaran01 said:
I'll correct my spelling now - 'falvours' should be flavours.

Oh man.....the movies could be unlimited.

How about "Reyes"? Dirt poor. Sleeping on pool tables. The natural gift that developed so quickly, bringing him to the states and all over the world to be the Champion that he still is today. That would be a great movie.

How about "Buddy Hall"? All of the action matches, booze, action matches, drugs, action matches, women, action matches, food, religion, tournament wins,...just generally EXCITING stuff.

You know we can't leave out "Grady Mathews". Read his book...that says enough.

And yes, I agree. A movie titled "The Pearl" would be a definite crowd pleaser. The temper, the fiascos, the championship play, the 9 pack for what should have been a million, etc, etc. That would make for a very good movie.

Maybe if this one with Kid Delicious takes off, those kinds of opportunities will arise...and begin placing the American pool world on the map again, as well as inspiring the kind of sponsorship we need.

SSach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well when I heard the news, I was very happy for Danny. I just hope the movie does not turn out to be another "Hustle" story.

Maybe take another direction.. his love for the game ... his struggles... and the main problem with pool (no money in the sport) and of course his acheivements.

Either way I am sure I will be out there to see the movie, just as long as it is about pool.

pharaoh68

Banned
A really great movie would be about a young, troubled man who played pool better than just about anyone around. A man who was one of the best and well on his way to being THE best were it not for personal obstacles he could not overcome. A man who even Mizerak himself was afraid to play...
Toby Sweet. There's a movie worth watching.

And as to whether or not there is a "greatest player of all time", yes. There is. His name is Efren Reyes. (just my opinion)

SplicedPoints

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only hope its not another Pool Hall Junkies. No more stereotypes, no more ball bangers who knows dick about pool, no more corny trickshots.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SplicedPoints said:
I only hope its not another Pool Hall Junkies. No more stereotypes, no more ball bangers who knows dick about pool, no more corny trickshots.

Does anyone have a ink to the SI article on Danny of 2/14?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Fleece3 said:

Divisive
Controversial
Brilliant
tempermental
entertaining
road warrior
5 Times US Open Champion
6 Times World Champion

Yes, nothing would be better for pro pool than to showcase somebody who has disgraced the sport so often. I think sending out the message that a poolplaying legend can be edgy to the point of sometmes abusing opponents, referees and sometimes even paying customers who fail to applaud his efforts is just what pool needs. Showcasing a guy who quits in the middle of a final of a tournament because he doesn't like the racks is just the image we wish to portray of today's pro pool players. I'm sure such a film would fill the seats at every pro pool event everywhere.

What hurts pool is the image that the poolplayer is a self-consumed, unsportsmanlike predator lacking in civility and the social grraces. Why focus on a guy whose career tends to reinforce this image?

Unless a whole lot of revisionist history would be at the heart of a film about Earl, maybe we can do without. Such a movie would be very entertaining for the serious pool fan, but would not help our sport.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sjm said:
Yes, nothing would be better for pro pool than to showcase somebody who has disgraced the sport so often. I think sending out the message that a poolplaying legend can be edgy to the point of sometmes abusing opponents, referees and sometimes even paying customers who fail to applaud his efforts is just what pool needs. Showcasing a guy who quits in the middle of a final of a tournament because he doesn't like the racks is just the image we wish to portray of today's pro pool players. I'm sure such a film would fill the seats at every pro pool event everywhere.

What hurts pool is the image that the poolplayer is a self-consumed, unsportsmanlike predator lacking in civility and the social grraces. Why focus on a guy whose career tends to reinforce this image?

Unless a whole lot of revisionist history would be at the heart of a film about Earl, maybe we can do without. Such a movie would be very entertaining for the serious pool fan, but would not help our sport.

SJM, I always read your posts and have the utmost respect for your knowledge for the game and very well-reasoned opinions. I do not agree with you in this instance, though. :p

Earl Strickland is what he is, an American pool player with more titles under his belt than anyone I can think of in recent times AND times gone by. Anybody who knows one iota about pool has seen Earl Strickland on his best behavior and his worst, but to say he is "lacking in civility and the social graces" leads me to believe that you do not know Earl Strickland the person. Maybe a book or movie would enlighten you to the man off the table.

I do not want to turn this post into another Earl-bashing post, or another Danny-bashing one for that matter. I do find it curious that in another unrelated post, you state that folks should stand behind Charlie Williams to lead the way. Not wanting to start a Charlie-bashing post, I would just say there is another school of thought relating to interactions with him off the table. Charlie Williams as a player? He's a topnotch champion, and I respect his game, his ambition, and desire to elevate men's professional pool.

To stay on topic of the thread, I think it is wonderful that Danny Basavich is making headway in these unchartered pool waters, and I look forward to reading all about it. :)

JAM

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fleece3 said:

I agree with you, Fleece3. I really don't understand why Danny was chosen for a movie subject. His recent history and great success in pool has been very brief. In comparison to some the legends in our game, his story is not nearly as compelling. Earl's career would be far more interesting and entertaining. However I'm not privy to the circumstances behind the project. Perhaps the money people or the producer has some specific interest in Basavich.

As far as trying to present pool in general, or a pool champion in particular in a squeaky clean manner-- that has been attempted for the past 20 years, and it simply doesn't work. People today are more interested in the human aspect, even the seamy side of subjects. Certainly pool fits that bill. Even as tame as "The Hustler" seems today, it was pretty shocking when it came out. That was part of it's charm.

Pool has spent so much time trying to develop a clean, wholesome image, that poker has leap-frogged right over top of us. Now one can hardly turn on the TV without seeing a poker game! And they're actually GAMBLING!

A well written script about a genuine pool legend could be just what pool needs to broaden the public's interest.

Doc

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
I don't think the record book is the main priority for this movie; Earl is a legend and has won everything numerous times but to a non pool fan, winning five us opens doesn't mean movie goers are going to shell out 10 bucks to hear about it. If they made a movie about Walter Lindrum , do you think people would go see it?

Danny was picked as much for his personality as for his pool playing probably. People love this guy and he has the kind of personality that people like to be around. His story of fighting depression, becoming one of the worlds best, and his fun loving attitude are what probably interested Hollywood. The fact he grew up in New York also helps in my opinion- gives a moviemaker a lot of options.

Earl is a character and not the monster some people think he is ( I've heard he does a good bit for charity) but personnally I'd find it more entertaining to hang with Danny.

Buddy Halls' life story and pool record (didn't he win 11 out of 14 events in 1974?) would be just as good as Earls' . I have Buddy's biography and don't know too much about Earl in his younger days, though.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Yeah what Jam said. Earl is a really nice guy 98% of the time, far more personable then most other pool players out there. He has his moments where he should think before he opens his mouth, usually the mouth is quicker then the brain in those instances sadly. He gets a bad rap over the few times he has went off and done things less then ideal, everyone remembers the bad and talk about it and few have actually met Earl or know how great a guy he can be to the fans. Alot of fans out there have this image of him as a "bad guy" that is spurred on by threads such as this and posts such as yours SJM, it is things just like that post that are the catch 22 of Earl and cause future problems. I have met alot of pro's that dont have the negative image of Earl that are in fact pompous assholes, Earl is not one of those. For all his skill I have never seen him stick his nose up at a fan. If you are a opponent? Different matter, the guy is EXTREMELY competitive and just hates to lose, especially to people he does not know or thinks he should beat. He whines too much sometimes, but he hurts himself and his own game as much if not more then his opponent with his antics at the table normally. Most people should be greatful, god forbid the guy started playing like a Filipino or Asian who simply sits and waits and plays their own game with zero emotion, Earl would win alot more if he lost the emotion and the antics.

bobroberts

Pool player
Silver Member
Movie Script

I think Earl would be great for a bio movie.He is kinda like the John Mcenroe of pool. Now someone who knows how to write a script should do it and submit it to Hollywood.Hey if it reads good,they would get rich and probably meet some of the pros because you need a pro on the set for his knowledge of the game.