Line drawn around 14.1 rack? Proper protocol??

Makey98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking about drawing the rack outline on my table for 14.1. I wanted to see how to correctly do it? Pencil or special chalk? Is there a standard rack to use for this as different racks have different outside thickness. Also, this line is the outside of the rack correct? Thanks all .

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Yes, it is the outside of the rack. The whole idea is to be able to determine if a ball would interfere with the rack. Use the rack you normally rack with. I suppose some use a pencil but it will fade. Many use a fine point sharpie. Make sure the rack is aligned properly ans securely in place so it doesn't move while tracing, especially with a sharpie.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was thinking about drawing the rack outline on my table for 14.1. I wanted to see how to correctly do it? Pencil or special chalk? Is there a standard rack to use for this as different racks have different outside thickness. Also, this line is the outside of the rack correct? Thanks all .
Mark for the rack you are using. I recommend using a white tailor's chalk pencil. Outside the rack as mentioned above.

In Europe it is common to "tap" the table, which means to pound small craters into the cloth in a rack pattern. This technique gets a very tight rack very quickly -- much better than most standard racks, and as tight as the Sardo, which actually requires you to "train" the table in a similar manner. In such situations you need to draw the line even though you will not use a normal triangle to rack because you need to be able to decide whether a ball is in the rack or not.