Kamuii tip tool

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
Definitely not worth it, IMHO. Buy a last4ever tool instead. Does a lot more and a lot cheaper.

lvlss42190

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tiger makes a product that's cheaper and has more to it, both a coarse and a fine scuffer along with both nickel and dime radius shapers.

A lot more for about 30.00 on ebay 35 or so from the tiger products website.

It's called Le Manifik or something of the sort. I don't own one yet but I have used them and they seem to me like a much better buy over the gator grip.

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i bought one of the tiger ones...it's ok, but not as good as the gator grip. the texture on the tiger just doesn't grab and rough up the leather as well.

shortstroke7

Registered
Everyone has a personal prefferance so nobody is right and nobody is wrong but ever since I first tried the kamui gator grip I loved it, any one that shoots with soft tips knows how easy and fast they can wear down and this tip tool has extended my tip by quite a bit, I play at the very least 5 hours a day every day so that is very important to me as can be imagined, I would defiantly recomend this tool for everyone

headmuses

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey shortstroke7 is right...everyone has his or her opinions, as they should. Mine was that I loved Kamuii tips, until I tried Tom Hay's Ultraskins, never looked back after I tried them, and I have a lot of friends that agree with me on Tom's tips (Errrr...sorry...Cheap flagrant post to hype and promote Tom's Ultrskins...I am not denying it). Personally I have never tried Kamuii chalk...just cant put up that much cash for chalk. Just cant do it. I go so far as to buy Blue Diamond chalk. But seriously, when you look at the instructional video on how to use the Kamuii Gator Grip scuffer...no way am I going roll my expensive cue's butt on the floor to get the perfect scuff. I won one on those Kamuii Gator Grip scuffers as stated in my previous post...still not going do it. Just my humble opinion. To those who love them...good on you, I just hope you never put a mark on the butt of your custom, or expensive production cue's because of the way you have to use that scuffer. Is a 30 buck scuffer tool worth putting marks on your $1200 plus dollar custom cue worth it? Nope.

Cheers everyone

Headmuses

Last edited:

shortstroke7

Registered
I can defiantly understand not wanting to roll the but of your cue on the floor, the pool room I go to has carpet so I usually do it on there, I've never put any marks on mine

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CocoboloCowboy got it right......I carry six different grit sandpaper (600,1000,1200, 1500, 2000 & Croakus Cloth) plus a leather burnisher and a couple of tip shapers I've collected.

With all the banter about what's the best shape tip to play with, the best tip shaper to use, etc., I submit that sandpaper still works better than any tip shaper invented to date. You are able to shape the tip in the ideal shape you want it to resemble (dime, nickel, penny, quarter ......doesn't matter). Additionally, you are able to scuff the tip lightly or with as much pressure as you want and you can scuff the tip perfectly to eliminate any even slight glazing without having to scuff the entire tip.

I think tip shapers are mainly for players that are most likely lazy and the tip shaper is easier or maybe they don't know how to shape a tip without using a tip shaper. I just find it ironic when I see players scuffing a tip that badly needs replacement , probably from being scuffed , sanded or shaped way too much. There's barely any tip height remaining but the player keeps shaping what's left. It's actually humorous to watch them when they start complaining about missing shots...........DUH?

SANDPAPER........................old school approach admittedly but nonetheless IMO still the best for shaping a tip.

Last edited:

Kaydon

Registered
Headmuses got it right

Hey shortstroke7 is right...everyone has his or her opinions, as they should. Mine was that I loved Kamuii tips, until I tried Tom Hay's Ultraskins, never looked back after I tried them, and I have a lot of friends that agree with me on Tom's tips (Errrr...sorry...Cheap flagrant post to hype and promote Tom's Ultrskins...I am not denying it). Personally I have never tried Kamuii chalk...just cant put up that much cash for chalk. Just cant do it. I go so far as to buy Blue Diamond chalk. But seriously, when you look at the instructional video on how to use the Kamuii Gator Grip scuffer...no way am I going roll my expensive cue's butt on the floor to get the perfect scuff. I won one on those Kamuii Gator Grip scuffers as stated in my previous post...still not going do it. Just my humble opinion. To those who love them...good on you, I just hope you never put a mark on the butt of your custom, or expensive production cue's because of the way you have to use that scuffer. Is a 30 buck scuffer tool worth putting marks on your $1200 plus dollar custom cue worth it? Nope.

Cheers everyone

Headmuses

Then there is this...Some of us just think you should not have to buy a tool that cost 35 - 50 bucks when you are being charged upwards of 50 bucks for the kamui tip and installation. So I am going to have a minimum of 75 to 85 bucks in that tip while it is on my cue when you consider tip cost and maintenance? Really??? If the tip did not glaze over and get harder and harder to maintain as it wears they would not try to sell you a tool to maintain a tip that is junk the more time it is spent on your cue. IMO.
Companies like kamui would not exist if people get their heads out of their backsides and go back to what works! I used to use a non layered tip back in the day then Moori came along. I have used just about every layered tip on the market and I still compare every one of them to how a Moori plays and maintains it play-ability through the life of the tip. How much maintenance is required through the life of the tip compared to a Moori. Point is I think that if everyone thought about it for awhile they would come to the same conclusion that I have. Kamui is just not worth the effort! They are like a high maintenance whore that only gives it up when paid to do so. Soft and silky on the outside when new, then requires lots of dollars to maintain when asked to work for us the further down the line we go. Expensive upfront with little satisfaction in the long run. Just my opinion.

kaffeineman

Registered
The kaumi gator grip (tip tool) is not a shaper, or even similar to any other scuffer out there. It has a laser etched grid of really fine stainless steel teeth that "fluff" the surface of your already shaped tip, basically doing the job of a scuffer without removing material. Also, it will never wear out as a result. So contrary to many people belief, it makes your tips last way longer. After investing so much money in Kamui tips I cant imagine using a willard shaper/scuffer every time you needed to get a new surface on your tip. Of course, this is just my opinion, but I use mine all the time and my tip stays just like new months later.

Expensive, yes. Worthless, not even close.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The kaumi gator grip (tip tool) is not a shaper, or even similar to any other scuffer out there. It has a laser etched grid of really fine stainless steel teeth that "fluff" the surface of your already shaped tip, basically doing the job of a scuffer without removing material. Also, it will never wear out as a result. So contrary to many people belief, it makes your tips last way longer. After investing so much money in Kamui tips I cant imagine using a willard shaper/scuffer every time you needed to get a new surface on your tip. Of course, this is just my opinion, but I use mine all the time and my tip stays just like new months later.

Expensive, yes. Worthless, not even close.

I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. You can shape with it, which removes a very fine powder from the tip and doesn't tear it all up. But the best part is when you roll it over your tip to condition the surface. The etched grid is composed of little circles with tiny raised dots in the middle of each one. They grab the very outside surface of the tip, pulling up tiny fibers without removing them. This allows the chalk to stick real good without removing any material at all.

Notice I said roll the tool over the tip, not the other way around. I put the butt on my toe and rock my wrist in an arc while very slightly rotating the cue after each movement. The cue butt never touches the floor. You can "rock and roll" before every rack if you want, because it just doesn't wear your tip away.

I don't use it because I'm trying to save money on tips. I got a whole bag of UltraSkins and I'm still on the first one after many months of use. When this one wears out eventually, I'll just grab another $3 tip and install it. The only reason I use it is that it is the best thing out there IMO.

BTW you don't have to spend that kind of dough for a Kamui branded one. I got mine from some carom guys at SBE last year for about $12. I'm not sure if they have a booth this year, but this is the one I use, and you can get it sent from across the pond from these guys. It's the same freakin' thing that Kamui uses in theirs.

http://store.kozoom.com/uk/carom_billiards/hanbat-cue-tip-sanding-block.html

No fancy teak case with silly magnets, just the etched surface you need, glued onto a thick plastic backing. Mine look like this:

EDIT:

In looking at my Hanbat tool I noticed that the backing is actually made of wood rather than plastic. Doesn't make it work any different, just wanted to dispel any notions that it may be a cheaply made tool. It is real nice for the money, and will last for a very long time in use.

Attachments

• hanbat-sanding-block-thumb.jpg
    hanbat-sanding-block-thumb.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
Just my opinion but if you have had to use it "several times" then it doesn't seem to worth it.

I had bought one and I never use it anymore, I just scuff my tip with some 180 grit now.. maybe I should sell it, any takers?

headmuses

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So....Sloppy Pockets......you are posting a review NOT of the Gator Tip Tool....but a knock-off.....correct? So your post / opinion of the OP thread holds no justification. JMHO ( Just My Humble Opinion) lol...as far as the original thread, you have all heard my opinion. Over priced scuffer in my opinion.

Last edited:

80P

Banned
CocoboloCowboy,
Its either a piece of brown teak or black ebony (I think) that is rectangular shaped, there are two pieces of this wood that match up and are held together with tiny magnets on the four corners. Inside is a stainless steel piece of rough sand paper type metal that you work your tip on. I personally will not use it for the reasons I gave in my earlier post. Overpriced gimmick as far as I am concerned.

Headmuses

I agree. I own one and hardly ever use it. IMO a regular scuffer works much better