Nick Varner cues... Any Good?

ShanksMcShankly

Grid Lock
Silver Member
Hi AZB,

I'm looking at buying this Nick Varner jump/break cue. It doesn't look too fancy but definitely looks to be in good condition. I might be able to get it for around $75. I don't know the model number but it looks to be a nice rosewood with maple wrap. I can't put pics up now but I might be able to put some up laters.

I am unfamiliar with Nick Varner's cues. I know he's a champion and I expect it will be of decent quality. It would be nice to hear AZB's opions of NV cues.

How would you rate the quality of Nick Varner cues?
How much would you pay for a NV break cue?

Thank you for all your help AZB. It's always appreciated :thumbup:

ShanksMcShankly

Grid Lock
Silver Member
here's a bad pic but that's all I could get. I hope this helps.

Thanks all

Attachments

• NV jump break.jpg
    NV jump break.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 5,899

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
I do not own one, but have played some with one of Varners sig line cues and it seemed to play well. I don't think your gonna get hurt if you can get it for $75.

Woody

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not own one, but have played some with one of Varners sig line cues and it seemed to play well. I don't think your gonna get hurt if you can get it for $75.

Woody

How hurt can you get spending $75?...:rolleyes:

Ken

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
I don't have any experience with the particular line of NV cues you're looking to buy, but I do have a Nick Varner Signature 1-piece house cue that my Dad uses to shoot with at my house (I sometimes use it to break with at home, as well) and it's super, super solid for a budget piece. I think I gave $35 for it, brand new, and then added a Jerry Powers leather break tip that is impregnated with phenolic. So, I have about a $55 investment and it'll probably last forever.

If the one you're looking at is in good condition, I'd ask to hit with for just a minute or two. Maybe try a jump. Then if you like what you feel, make your decision.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi AZB,

I'm looking at buying this Nick Varner jump/break cue. It doesn't look too fancy but definitely looks to be in good condition. I might be able to get it for around $75. I don't know the model number but it looks to be a nice rosewood with maple wrap. I can't put pics up now but I might be able to put some up laters.

I am unfamiliar with Nick Varner's cues. I know he's a champion and I expect it will be of decent quality. It would be nice to hear AZB's opions of NV cues.

Nick Varner cues are very good cues. I like them. Price does not sound too bad to me.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
You got action.

Lets start out at $75 a game one pocket at Highpockets Memphis.

Bring the Meucci....:thumbup:

Ken

Ya got me, I'll find a Meucci to use. Course were gonna have to post up several games to get me to drive that far.

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
Nick Varner Cues are a great value! Good quality construction and inlay work (on some models). Good shaft wood, hugely important, and a nice taper - with Everest tips on them to boot!

I used one when I cashed at Turning Stone earlier this year.

Oh, and I am Nick's West Coast distributor on these - contact me about wholesale/dealer opportunities.

Last edited:

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd put Varners on the level of Players and Kaisers. Sometimes you find a decent shooter but there will never be much value there.

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just happened to play with a NV cue yesterday and was surprised how well it played. I was traveling and went over to play with a friend and he lent me the cue. The cue felt and hit good as far as I am concerned. Tom

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi AZB,

yes they are great cues for their price point, cant go wrong with them, quality is very good.

ShanksMcShankly

Grid Lock
Silver Member
Thanks for all the input guys, it's always appreciated.

I got the cue delivered last week and I've been hitting a few breaks and jumps with it. It's a decent quality cue, definitely not crap construction. There are a couple bubbles in the finish around some of the rings that could have been done better but all in all it looks good. The hit though is not exactly my cup of tea...

It hits good and all just not what I'm used to I guess. I like the jump on it but the break feels really different from my regular break cue. I have been using a Billiards Warehouse first gen break cue with the one piece phenolic ferrulle/tip. I really like that BW cue, I would say it feels like a more solid hit but doesn't hit as hard as the NV.

So now I'm on the fence on whether I want to keep the NV or sell it off as I was planning to sell the BW...

I guess I'll have to take more time to get used to NV but right now I'm leaning towards the BW...

Seems like only time will tell this story, meanwhile I'm open to offers :winknudge:

Poolshootindon

Registered Pool Offender
Silver Member
Nick Varner Cues

I believe they are made in China.

I have played with a lot of cues in my days.

Cheap price does not always mean cheap quality.

And visa versa.

Don

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was at Nick's store the other day. He had what appeared to be an Ebony and Ivory cue that looked really nice. I was tempted to buy it. But I didn't want to spend $600+ at this point in time so I had to pass.

r/DCP

Direwolf

Registered
I bought that same model j/b for my son a couple of years ago and it worked very well for him. It broke solid and jumped well too. We sold it off about 2 months ago because I gave him an Alex Brick j/b. Otherwise he'd still be playing with it. Can't go wrong at that price, well built and does what it's made to do!