Pool vs Golf Tournaments - The Payouts

BarTableMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ever notice that golf tournaments make no mention of the prize money after the tournament. Sometimes they mention the points earned but never the cash payouts. Pool tournaments...the payout is the very first thing that's shown and discussed. Wonder why that is? I've dug into the golf payouts...the total pot is nearly always in the millions! Does the golfing community just find it "beneath them" to mention the cash? Thoughts...

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ever notice that golf tournaments make no mention of the prize money after the tournament. Sometimes they mention the points earned but never the cash payouts. Pool tournaments...the payout is the very first thing that's shown and discussed. Wonder why that is? I've dug into the golf payouts...the total pot is nearly always in the millions! Does the golfing community just find it "beneath them" to mention the cash? Thoughts...

You must have selective input. I always hear about the money in golf. Particularly this past weekend at the Masters. Total prize pot of over 10 million. I then walked out the room when they went into the prize fund breakdown.

The difference is the overseeing organization. When dealing with sportsmanship issues, they are very strict on penalties. No so much for pool. Golfs head org. the PGA and its qualifying 'Tour Card' allow for sponsors to directly seek endorsements that benefit the sport and the players. Does the BCA have such a deal? No.

Golf has very few real sportsmanship issues. Pool has tons. Who would you rather sponsor, Earl Strickland or Davis Love III? One person is world wide famous, one is barely American famous. You decide who gets the money based off of past interviews and their respect for the game. Mines on Davis, not Earl.

Also speaking for someone who isn't a pool player. They commented on Earl being a crybaby the last time I had them watch a match with him. That's not where sponsors put money.

Edit: http://www.adweek.com/news/advertis...re-money-endorsing-things-playing-golf-165649

Go read that article. It helps explain why the prize money in golf isn't font page news. The PGA is pretty much setup in that you cannot have a 'Tour Card' unless you are sponsored. And through that sponsors contracts with athletes includes performance clauses. They get paid for their sponsor contract and hen get bonus's based off of their performance. I can't find it right now, but there was an article back around 2003 that showed that Tiger won something like $800,000 for 1st place somewhere. Then earned a cool approximate $20,000,000 from his Nike sponsorship. Does he even care that he took first for nearly a million? No the trophy means more when you have sponsorships like that.

Last edited:

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Plus the fact that a typical Professional Golf tournament has 20,000-50,000 people walking around watching all day long. There is plenty of book to make payout.

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish golf announcers would say how much money was gained/lost on a made/missed putt on the 18th hole.

"Back to 18 and David Feherty. Thanks Verne. Rickie Fowler is currently in a 5-way tie for 3rd. He lines up a twisting 24-foot birdie putt. It's on its way....OHHHH it lips out!! 2nd place is worth $650K...that'll sting. Rickie still has a tough 5 footer coming back. OHH NOOOO!!!! Fowler missed his par putt. That will drop him back to 8th place. That three-putt cost Rickie over almost half a million!!!"

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Plus the fact that a typical Professional Golf tournament has 20,000-50,000 people walking around watching all day long. There is plenty of book to make payout.

Very true, it seems when you look at payouts for other golf tours that do not get that kind of exposure, they look very familiar.

Mackenzie Tour - 2015 leaderboard-
2015 Money leader - $91,193

http://www.pgatour.com/canada/en_us/stats/stat.109.2015.html

The web.com tour has more exposure and therefore more money,

2015 Money Leader - $519,241

http://www.pgatour.com/canada/en_us/stats/stat.109.2014.html

Compare that with PGA Tour

2015 Money Leader - $12,030,465

http://www.pgatour.com/canada/en_us/stats/stat.109.2014.html

Golf is very open about the amount of money the players earn. But Pool does have the tendency to market events with added money featured prominently in the promotional material. I'm assuming that it's mostly because pro pool events are trying to entice amateurs and semi-pros/shortstops to top up the field. In this way pro pool events are as much marketed towards potential participants as they are spectators. Pro Golf events are marketed at spectators. That's my theory at least.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Probably yes, what is more low class then discussion the money you make.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well that depends..,

Probably yes, what is more low class then discussion the money you make.

Football, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, we know what they make because its bragged about and discussed on ESPN every time there's a new contract for any player.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You make a good point

I'm assuming that it's mostly because pro pool events are trying to entice amateurs and semi-pros/shortstops to top up the field. In this way pro pool events are as much marketed towards potential participants as they are spectators. Pro Golf events are marketed at spectators. That's my theory at least.[/QUOTE said:
Pool is so hard to understand and play so its hard to market to the spectator. Its even hard to watch in most cases because its played on a small table with limited viewing in a small building full of smoke, not much of a outing for the family.

Golf is easy, everyone understands whats going on, hit the ball, walk and hit the ball again and if you've ever played put-put then you can play golf, marketing.

The course is beautiful, Its bright and its billed as the game of the people in the know, sophisticates, the well to dos, the bright and talented.., fun for one and all, bring the kids...,
Whats not to like?

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ding, ding, ding!
You hit it right on the head, Mitch.
It's the "customer base" (FANS) that helps to determine the money in an industry.
This in turn helps to determine salaries for the players.

Last edited:

Direwolf

Registered
The tournament payouts on the PGA tour are talked about during the broadcast albeit not as often as in years past. Maybe this is due to the purses becoming somewhat insanely high but that is just a guess. Last week the Masters champion earned 1.8 million and the last player to make the weekend cut earned 23k for 57th place(not bad for a weeks work). As someone who has played and watched golf for the majority of my life I can tell you that on occasion the commentators do in fact mention what an errant shot possibly cost a player. But the bottom line as to why the payouts in the two sports are so vastly different is FANS. Golf has an infinitely larger fan base which in turn brings huge numbers of sponsors and as expected the money follows.

real bartram

Real Cold Steel
Silver Member

Every week the pga tour pays 1 million or more for first place .

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Ding, ding, ding!
It's the "customer base" (FANS) that helps to determine the money in an industry.

Oh, so its not Earls fault after all ��

I love how folks want to blame earl for pools trouble...my neighbor is a big time Pepsi executive and i will bet a ton that he does not even know Who the hell Earl is ???

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Ding, ding, ding!
Just about anyone and especially any casual golpher
knows who Tiger Woods is.
Many pool players, some may play a few times a week, don't even know who SVB is. Sad.