About a diamond and a half..maybe two....

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, this cb to ob distance apart seems to be the 'goldilocks' zone for making balls and manipulating the cb.

Seems like most modalities work. Natural rolling cb, force follow, sliding stun, smooth draw, etc.

Distances less than about 2/3 of a diamond apart make certain shots more difficult for me to move the cb for shape. Maybe the short distance results in more slide than topspin or draw? I find I have to jack up a bit to sort of nip draw or stun-hop-force follow to move the cb much.

Just an observation.

Any body else have a similar favorite spacing in mind when you play shape?

ps: drag draw ...3 to 4 diamonds apart works better on that shot..for me.:smile:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I think that works well for any shot below the equator of the cue ball but when I start using follow i think I would rather see the balls a little farther a part, maybe a diamond further, 2 at the most for an ideal situation. When the balls are close and you use follow occasionally the cue ball will jump a little on contact.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Distances less than about 2/3 of a diamond apart make certain shots more difficult for me to move the cb for shape. Maybe the short distance results in more slide than topspin or draw? I find I have to jack up a bit to sort of nip draw or stun-hop-force follow to move the cb much.

at short distances, you run out of room for a correct follow through......

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I think that works well for any shot below the equator of the cue ball but when I start using follow i think I would rather see the balls a little farther a part, maybe a diamond further, 2 at the most for an ideal situation. When the balls are close and you use follow occasionally the cue ball will jump a little on contact.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Stoke it son. Don't poke at the ball. It shouldn't matter how many diamonds apart the balls are. You will get it.

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably the difference at such short distance is the cueball slides on the cloth without backspin or forward roll. So whatever you are putting on the ball doesn't have time to engage with the cloth... just one of a thousand things you learn to accomodate for after playing so long.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably the difference at such short distance is the cueball slides on the cloth without backspin or forward roll. So whatever you are putting on the ball doesn't have time to engage with the cloth... just one of a thousand things you learn to accomodate for after playing so long.

That's my opinion too. Limits what can be done shape wise, without
blowing the shot.

What say the science guys?

Is there an optimal distance that accommodates all shot types(cb action)?

thanks

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's my opinion too. Limits what can be done shape wise, without
blowing the shot.

What say the science guys?

Is there an optimal distance that accommodates all shot types(cb action)?

thanks
For draw shots you want the cue ball as close as possible without cramping the stroke so the draw is not lost.

For follow, it depends. If you have to follow a precise distance, it might be good to have some distance to the object ball so that the cue ball is rolling smoothly on the cloth. That guarantees that there is an exact spin/speed ratio. If you are close to the object ball, the ratio depends more on your tip height accuracy.

Technically, the cue ball starts going towards smooth rolling as soon as it leaves the tip. This is gradual and the amount of follow the cue ball has obtained (up to smooth rolling) depends on how long it takes to get to the object ball. Note that is a time, not a distance. If you shoot a 6-diamond shot with center ball at high speed, the cue ball will get less follow than if you shoot a center-ball two-diamond shot with a slow speed that just gets to smooth rolling at object ball impact.