Who needs a custom made cue?

paaca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's an old saying among golfers, who are famous for buying new clubs. You can buy new tools but you can't buy a stroke. Same for snooker/pool. If your stroke is as good as its going to get try out some cues and concentrate on feel and results. You won't necessarily get better results because your cue cost $15K. Length, weight and tip size are the things to concentrate on. If you spend $1,000 on a production cue you've probably got all that technology has to offer. $10K is for a work of art.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't NEED a custom cue.. it's just that if you're into nicer gear, and can afford it, then go for it. It's a collectibility thing, too, similar to custom guitars, nice watches, etc.

You can play the same song on a $50 fender copy as you can on a '64 Stratocaster..
that old Strat is just gonna feel a lot nicer!

I hardly ever see top players shooting with elaborate 'monster' cues... more like plain four pointers and merry widows... in local tournaments I see a lot of sneaky petes. YMMV:cool:

JeffreyNV

Mr. Clean
Sorry, don't know much, just a casual player all my life. I might start playing more. I keep coming up with questions, lol! I was surfing around and found some cues for sale by a custom maker and geez, those suckers are expensive! Thousands of dollars, even tens of thousands. I had no idea! Those must have collector's value.

A couple of questions. First, what is your take on 'improvement' provided by a custom made cue? Or do you think it's just about pride of ownership? Can you just go somewhere and try out a bunch of well-made cues and find one you like or should you get one made?

Second, about how much would a good one cost? I'm talking about something that looks nice but nothing terribly fancy. I know if it's like guitars, you can pay a ridiculous price, thousands, just for bling, inlays, exotic woods and such. A decent cue... $200? $500? $1000? More? The only 2-piece cues I own I bought for less than $100 at Academy, lol.

Thanks for starting this thread, as the varied replies were really interesting to read. Specific to your first question, any cue is only as good as the player using it. To that point, I enjoyed the thread reply that highlighted Efron Reyes title win with a $14 cue using an Elkmaster tip (noting Efron "soaks" those tips overnight to soften the tip).

So with that thought in mind, if one is intent on improving play with a cue upgrade, you need to determine what your budget will allow, and then explore the range of options (vintage/antique cues, production cues and custom cues). From a historical context, many great cue makers (Rambow, Balabushka, Paradise, Szamboti, and others) utilized Brunswick Titlist factory blanks, with Rambow distinguishing himself by using Titlist Professional blanks during the 1940's (which is has been my main playing cue for many years). Buying any of the above makers these days runs into the thousands, though there are sometimes opportunities to buy Brunswick "Willie Hoppe" inscribed cues in the $300-$500 range that were made from that same Titlist stock. If you can locate one in good condition, my experience is that many of these cues not only hit very well indeed, but also have a stable aftermarket value that's likely to increase in the years to come.

In the realm of product cues, one of the other posts referenced McDermott cues. I would respectfully disagree relative to the modern low end cues made by McDermott, as the stock is prone to warp (especially the "Lucky" line up) and frankly represents poor value in the sub-200 range. That said, either a vintage or good quality modern McDermott cue plays relatively well, and tend to hold their value in the aftermarket. To that point, I still own the first McDermott cue purchased when I was teenager working/playing in a pool room on a near 24/7 basis. While well worn and battle scared, the Birdseye Maple that cue is made of is just as straight now as the first day I owned it, (I'm in my sixties now).

Further, in the $100-$500 range, I find the Players PureX / HXT line up of cues to represent the best value in that space, as this approach gives experience with use of a decent quality Low Deflection shaft.

In the $200-$400, I find Schmelke cues represent solid value. Consider the SPL Full Spliced cues and the Schmelke CC220 Series to represent good value and a greater degree of customization, especially when paired with low deflection shafts. I would recommend selecting a 3/8x10 pin with flat faced joint as this will allow you select from the widest range of low deflection shafts in the aftermarket. I personally use HXT, G-Core and Predator with my Schmelke.

In the $500+ area, the options in both production and custom made cues are nearly endless. My personal favorites in the production area Pechauer, Shon and Joss West. I would stay away from Meucci, as there's often a high degree of variation in quality control. I would defer to other folks posting here specific to the modern custom cue makers in the market. Hope this is helpful.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for starting this thread, as the varied replies were really interesting to read. Specific to your first question, any cue is only as good as the player using it. To that point, I enjoyed the thread reply that highlighted Efron Reyes title win with a $14 cue using an Elkmaster tip (noting Efron "soaks" those tips overnight to soften the tip).

So with that thought in mind, if one is intent on improving play with a cue upgrade, you need to determine what your budget will allow, and then explore the range of options (vintage/antique cues, production cues and custom cues). From a historical context, many great cue makers (Rambow, Balabushka, Paradise, Szamboti, and others) utilized Brunswick Titlist factory blanks, with Rambow distinguishing himself by using Titlist Professional blanks during the 1940's (which is has been my main playing cue for many years). Buying any of the above makers these days runs into the thousands, though there are sometimes opportunities to buy Brunswick "Willie Hoppe" inscribed cues in the $300-$500 range that were made from that same Titlist stock. If you can locate one in good condition, my experience is that many of these cues not only hit very well indeed, but also have a stable aftermarket value that's likely to increase in the years to come.

In the realm of product cues, one of the other posts referenced McDermott cues. I would respectfully disagree relative to the modern low end cues made by McDermott, as the stock is prone to warp (especially the "Lucky" line up) and frankly represents poor value in the sub-200 range. That said, either a vintage or good quality modern McDermott cue plays relatively well, and tend to hold their value in the aftermarket. To that point, I still own the first McDermott cue purchased when I was teenager working/playing in a pool room on a near 24/7 basis. While well worn and battle scared, the Birdseye Maple that cue is made of is just as straight now as the first day I owned it, (I'm in my sixties now).

Further, in the $100-$500 range, I find the Players PureX / HXT line up of cues to represent the best value in that space, as this approach gives experience with use of a decent quality Low Deflection shaft.

In the $200-$400, I find Schmelke cues represent solid value. Consider the SPL Full Spliced cues and the Schmelke CC220 Series to represent good value and a greater degree of customization, especially when paired with low deflection shafts. I would recommend selecting a 3/8x10 pin with flat faced joint as this will allow you select from the widest range of low deflection shafts in the aftermarket. I personally use HXT, G-Core and Predator with my Schmelke.

In the $500+ area, the options in both production and custom made cues are nearly endless. My personal favorites in the production area Pechauer, Shon and Joss West. I would stay away from Meucci, as there's often a high degree of variation in quality control. I would defer to other folks posting here specific to the modern custom cue makers in the market. Hope this is helpful.

Joss West, no longer being made, were NEVER production cues.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
After buying quite a few production cues, I eventually figured out that I prefer a leather wrap over Irish linen, that I prefer a 20-21 ounce cue over anything lighter, that I prefer a stiffer hitting shaft, and that I prefer a black ferrule.

But before figuring everything that I like out, I bought quite a few custom cues, ones that I really liked the looks and design of. The only problem is, many of the custom cues weren't the best playing cues for me.

I settled on a Schon CX-48 butt, with a 2 1/2 inch mid-cue extension, and a Revo shaft. This is the holy grail of playing cues for me and I doubt that I will ever vary much from this type of setup in the future.

arraamis

Registered
After buying quite a few production cues, I eventually figured out that I prefer a leather wrap over Irish linen, that I prefer a 20-21 ounce cue over anything lighter, that I prefer a stiffer hitting shaft, and that I prefer a black ferrule.

But before figuring everything that I like out, I bought quite a few custom cues, ones that I really liked the looks and design of. The only problem is, many of the custom cues weren't the best playing cues for me.

I settled on a Schon CX-48 butt, with a 2 1/2 inch mid-cue extension, and a Revo shaft. This is the holy grail of playing cues for me and I doubt that I will ever vary much from this type of setup in the future.

Grip, you highlighted a very valid point.

For most guys\gals - who have played for years and have experienced playing with a wide variety of cues and balls on a wide variety of tables - they eventually reach a point where they can lay-out exactly what they want in a cue. And only experience can bring a person to that point. Some tend to go the custom route while others stay production, but everyone reaches that point where they know exactly what they like in a cue. And once the trial period is over, there's nothing left to do, but to improve their game to the max.

RussPrince

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
meh i get that it may feel better to some extent, but it's all really in the shaft and tip anyways

Last edited:

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started with a cuetec cue that I played with for 6 months then I got a Connoisseur(Falcon line in Quebec, Canada)...that lasted for about 1 year. Then I got a custom made cue which I have played with for 8 years. Last year I sold my custom made cue for a Mezz Axi cue.

What is there to learn from this? If you can find a cuemaker that makes a cue that has the EXACT hit/feel you are looking for then you need one, otherwise keep looking until you find THAT cue...but it might not be a custom made one.

Owning a custom cue is awesome, it's unique, was made according to your specs but at the same time if you end up not liking it, it can be very sad to realize that this wasn't what you are looking for anymore.

Would I play with a custom made cue again? Maybe but it would be one already made that I could try before I buy, I wouldn't order a new one. Too much pressure and one could feel forced to like it to try to justify the expense.

Who here had to go through the experience of ordering a new custom cue and end up not liking it? I loved mine until I tried a Mezz and then it haunted me and couldn't bear my custom anymore.

That being said I want to clarify that the cuemaker that made the cue I had does fantastic cues with supreme quality and I recommend his cues to everyone in my area...it just so happened that over the years I realized this wasn't the hit I was looking for.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
The only 2-piece cues I own I bought for less than $100 at Academy, lol.

To quote Efren...."I got lucky".

When I first had my home table installed I wanted some spare cues (beside the four 1-piece cues that came with the table). They were just going to be for visitors to play with.

I went to Academy and bought a couple of Viper cues and a couple of Players cues. Turns out that one of the Players cues played way better than the $50 (give or take) price tag indicated. It had a piloted SS joint and the shaft was of some pretty decent maple. Once I changed out the tip, this cue plays a whole lot better than some of the cues I own that I spent a lot more money on and now spends its days in the case that I take to bars.

I guess by a simple stroke of luck one CAN possibly find a good playing cue at a retail store. I certainly did.

Maniac (best $50 I ever spent :thumbup:)