New Clear SS Black Kamui Tip

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just put a new Kamui SS Black Clear tip on and noticed it was a little too long for my $90.00 Porper tool. This caused me a lot of extra work. But what I noticed the most was that this Super Soft was a lot harder than my other Super Softs. I'm somewhat surprised by the inconsistency from SS to SS.
Anyone else ever have similar issues?

PhoenixVA

Old Rookie
Silver Member
I just put a new Kamui SS Black Clear tip on and noticed it was a little too long for my $90.00 Porper tool. This caused me a lot of extra work. But what I noticed the most was that this Super Soft was a lot harder than my other Super Softs. I'm somewhat surprised by the inconsistency from SS to SS.

Haven't tried the SS yet, but the Soft, to me, is fairly hard. Then again, I'm just now trying to evolve from LePros and Triangles to something different. Hits like a rock on a Black Dot shaft.

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haven't tried the SS yet, but the Soft, to me, is fairly hard. Then again, I'm just now trying to evolve from LePros and Triangles to something different. Hits like a rock on a Black Dot shaft.

My Kamuiu Black Clear SS hits so hard on my Black Dot shaft that I've actually started to use it for breaking the rack. I'm going back to the SS's without the Clear separator.

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
Just go back to Triangle. I have heard lots of very positive reviews on the ultraskins if you're disinclined to play with the old war horse.

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
Kamui Clear

I'm playing with clear medium now, I love it.. Hits a bit hard but i've also switch from a uniloc to a wood to wood big pin so the feel is awesome.
I've never used an ultraskin but i've heard many great reviews

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just ordered soft and super soft Kamui Clear for my cues underway.

My current cues use Kamui Black (medium) which glaze over fast & play like hard tips.

So I researched cue tip hardness and switched; the hardness scale I know is as follows:

Kamui Black (Super Soft) 67.5

Kamui Black (Soft) 72.3

Kamui Black (Medium) 78.7

Kamui Black (Hard) 84.8

Kamui (Super Soft) 69.2

Kamui II (Soft) 78.1

Kamui II (Medium Soft) 82.2

Kamui II (Medium) 83.4

Kamui II (Hard) 92.2

I was assured by a authorized Kamui Dealer that the Kamui Clear hardness is identical
to the Kamui Black hardness ratings.

For comparison purposes, a Tiger Onyx has a rating of 76.4, Tiger Sniper 77.8, Moori (Soft) 72.8,
Moori (Medium) 75.5, Talisman Water Buffalo (Hard) 84.3 etc. The aforementioned are simply
intended for general comparison purposes.

Matt B.

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played with my first Owen cue that arrived 3 weeks ago. The cue has Kamui Clear Tips: Soft & Super-soft. My custom from Bob arrives later this month.

Just in case anyone was thinking of trying either version, I prefer the Kamui Clear Soft tip over the Kamui Clear Super-soft tip.

Matt B.

Casper980

Registered

I am actually really frustrated by my SS Black Clear...shape into perfect dime shape, 2-3 hits and its completely miss-shaped and flattened out!! :mad: I never seemed to have had the issue with a regular Black SS. I even cut the top off to see if it was just the top half of the tip to no avail. :angry: I need to replace ASAP, tip will not hold shape at all!! Tip is less then a month old and its pretty much toast. I am obsessive when it comes to my cue tip, so I literally am shaping it waiting to get back to the table, because of the deforming. Anyone else ever experience this??

i8ap4t

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am actually really frustrated by my SS Black Clear...shape into perfect dime shape, 2-3 hits and its completely miss-shaped and flattened out!! :mad: I never seemed to have had the issue with a regular Black SS. I even cut the top off to see if it was just the top half of the tip to no avail. :angry: I need to replace ASAP, tip will not hold shape at all!! Tip is less then a month old and its pretty much toast. I am obsessive when it comes to my cue tip, so I literally am shaping it waiting to get back to the table, because of the deforming. Anyone else ever experience this??

I got a black s clear on a shaft from seyberts, 2 months in and haven't had to shape it once. I believe they press them before installation.

Also, if you are going for a really soft tip, you should always expect to have to do a lot of upkeep. Otherwise just buy a hard.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
several months ago I installed a clear tip pad (not a Kamui tip with one) just for the sake of beauty and mystery :)p) and I'm going to remove it during my next tip change. Because it makes the feel of the hit too strong and takes away feedback. At least this is my impression with my own cue.

That said, no wonder some feel that the hardness they are used to feels different with a clear pad. Tip hardness is the same, the manufacturer plays no fool here, but the pad changes feedback.

Casper980

Registered
I got a black s clear on a shaft from seyberts, 2 months in and haven't had to shape it once. I believe they press them before installation.

Also, if you are going for a really soft tip, you should always expect to have to do a lot of upkeep. Otherwise just buy a hard.

Seyberts installed it...I don't have an issue with up keep, but mis-shaping almost immediately is kind of ridiculous. I am going to seyberts either Wednesday or Thursday to have a new tip put on. I was thinking black soft this time. But considering something harder. Haven't decided. I like the feel of a soft tip so I don't want to go with a hard.

i8ap4t

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seyberts installed it...I don't have an issue with up keep, but mis-shaping almost immediately is kind of ridiculous. I am going to seyberts either Wednesday or Thursday to have a new tip put on. I was thinking black soft this time. But considering something harder. Haven't decided. I like the feel of a soft tip so I don't want to go with a hard.

Why not try something that isn't $40.
The ultra skin pro like others have mentioned is really soft, and requires a ton of work, but their other tips are meant to be primo. Hard to get outside of the US though D:.

Casper980

Registered
Why not try something that isn't $40.
The ultra skin pro like others have mentioned is really soft, and requires a ton of work, but their other tips are meant to be primo. Hard to get outside of the US though D:.

I am definitely willing to take advice and suggestions on what tip to try next. The price of the tip is irrelevant. I am thinking Kamui Black Soft for now, also considering a Sniper tip. I need to get the tools to change them myself. Save me the 30 min drive to seyberts. lol

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is not easy finding the tip that suites you and your play that is for sure.
Neil

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
If I may offer a suggestion, try a single layered tip again. Years ago when Moori's first came out it changed things, they WERE great tips that were handmade.

I think anyone that played those original tips and the Moori's that are out now can testify that the factory produced tips vs the original handmade are 2 different animals. My point is it started this frenzy of layered tips & I went through quite a few over the years & have never found the magic in a factory produced layered tip as the original handmade ones that started this frenzy.

I finally just gave up on them. You might want to try one of the new single layer tips from Outsville.com. His tips are truly amazing. I alternate between these and Milkduds made by a member here Pooldawg which are also great tips.

The bottom like is you'll find more consistency in single layered tips. Layered may be all the rage but since the original Moori's that started this nothing else ever measured up to that standard in layered tips, not even Moori's that are factory produced now. Just my 2 cents.

Casper980

Registered
It is not easy finding the tip that suites you and your play that is for sure.
Neil

Thing is I really like the black SS that was on my other shaft, I put the clear black SS on my Z2 and it's driving me crazy! I want to believe that putting black SS on will make me happy again, just don't want to be throwing $20 away if it doesn't.

Casper980

Registered
So I went with a Ultra Skin Medium after talking with the guys at Seyberts. So far so good, but only time will tell.