Who is Kevin Cheng?

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The fact that he has an American first name for himself and that he actually spent time in Oklahoma says something-not sure what but no one from Taiwan comes to the USA to go to Oklahoma.

So what is his story? Is he recently relocated-goes back and forth?-has relatives in that part of the Country? What?

How come he doesnt win much over here in his 'home area' and knocks off the US Open like it was a Jr tournament?

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I work with a lot of Taiwanese people. The ones I work with all have American names. Even their official company email address uses American names.

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure the Taiwan hands who keep current will chime in, but from what I gather listening to VL Sports commentary during his matches...Kevin is more a free spirit in the Taiwanese pool scene; he is not 100% committed to their "pro tour" and does more traveling over seas and pursue other interests as well. He might not win as much over there bc he's not entering every tournament.

His game is certainly top tier Taiwanese pro, and imo his mechanics are second to none. I first noticed how still he was on every shot a couple of years ago, absolutely zero head/body movement.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kevin came to the U.S last yr and took down the White Diamonds barbox tournament in Louisiana. 128 players, 90K calcutta. Prior to that tournament, he was in Houston and came 2nd to a tournament Sky won 1st in. Gambled with Warren Kiamco even and beat him. Gambled with Josh Roberts, lost the first set. Tripled the bet and won the 2nd set.

Word was he traveled to St.Louis too and Justin wanted to play him, but Kevin declined.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I work with a lot of Taiwanese people. The ones I work with all have American names. Even their official company email address uses American names.

It may be normal in businesses that do a lot with the USA-Afterall i get 'Johnny' from 'the pharmacy' calling me all the time and he kinda sounds Indian.

It isnt normal for a TW pool player. Jennifer Chen is the only 'true Taiwanese' using an american name that I can think of.. Her real name is something like Chen Chien Chen. Xiao Ting Pan debated for a while giving herself an American first name 'Tina' but ultimately did not.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Chinese and Taiwanese often adopt western names for themselves. It's part of learning english that they are asked to choose a western name to be addressed by in english class.

Sometimes these players will make trips around the USA and play some. Remember Wang Can did it a few years ago.

Kevin Cheng is not unknown in Taiwan and China, he is a top player there among many top players. He was also known here in some circles.

Now known everywhere.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I don't recall exactly but what was the story with him being in recent BCA amateur competition in Vegas? Was he dq'd?

this kid is strong. Obviously. :wink:

best,
brian kc

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chinese and Taiwanese often adopt western names for themselves. It's part of learning english that they are asked to choose a western name to be addressed by in english class.

I once knew a "Sky" who then changed his name to "Hero." Last time I met him he was good ole' Andy.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
It may be normal in businesses that do a lot with the USA-Afterall i get 'Johnny' from 'the pharmacy' calling me all the time and he kinda sounds Indian.

It isnt normal for a TW pool player. Jennifer Chen is the only 'true Taiwanese' using an american name that I can think of.. Her real name is something like Chen Chien Chen. Xiao Ting Pan debated for a while giving herself an American first name 'Tina' but ultimately did not.

With theTaiwan Chinese, starting with my moms generation, the kids all took on Anglo first names in school. It wasnt an official name change, more like a nickname. My guess to the reason is that at the time, Chiang Kai Sheck had a strong alliance with the USA, including his western educated, English language fluent wife.

Eric

LA toolman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I remember correctly the bidding stalled at around $100 on this guy before going for about 4k towards the end of the White Diamond Calcutta.

Txstang1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't recall exactly but what was the story with him being in recent BCA amateur competition in Vegas? Was he dq'd?

this kid is strong. Obviously. :wink:

best,
brian kc

Our local bca operator was telling me about this last night. Kevin and another friend of his were both DQ'd after it was discovered they were both on the tawain pro tour. i dont really know any other details. 2012 i believe.

I first came across him at the big tyme classic in houston a couple years ago, and then again earlier this year when he played one of the Omega billiards tour stops here in Dallas.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our local bca operator was telling me about this last night. Kevin and another friend of his were both DQ'd after it was discovered they were both on the tawain pro tour. i dont really know any other details. 2012 i believe.

I first came across him at the big tyme classic in houston a couple years ago, and then again earlier this year when he played one of the Omega billiards tour stops here in Dallas.

I like him even better now. He's got a little larceny in him a la "The Hustler," American style. :grin:

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
Kevin Cheng travelled around the south a lot to different tournaments, Texas, Okalahoma, New Orleans.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kevin Cheng?
You mean "the cornerman/ the other guy" playing second fiddle to the top Taiwanese like Kos and Changs?
Who earlier this month won $30K in his biggest tourney win?
Then topped it that off by going undefeated and winning US Open 2015 with the strongest US Open field ever in his debut appearance? . :grin:
This is nice underdog story.

Congratulations and very well done, Kevin :grin:

Txstang1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kevin Cheng?
You mean "the cornerman/ the other guy" playing second fiddle to the top Taiwanese like Kos and Changs?
Who earlier this month won $30K in his biggest tourney win?
Then topped it that off by going undefeated and winning US Open 2015 with the strongest US Open field ever in his debut appearance? . :grin:
This is nice underdog story.

Congratulations and very well done, Kevin :grin:
which one did he win that paid 30k ?