Master of the Table

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or as most say The DCC All Around-Who are the leaders?
Brumback is out of the one pocket in round 5, so that definitely hurts his chances to win the all-round. I just don't see John in the later rounds of 9-ball, but he could surprise us.

Shaw is definitely the front runner, having been the runner-up in banks and undefeated so far in one pocket.

After Shaw would be Orcullo (3-way tie for 4th in banks and one loss in one pocket), followed by Deuel and Bustamante (both tied for 7th in banks and still alive in one pocket, though Deuel is undefeated while Bustamante has a loss).

SVB, Appleton, Efren, and Pagulayan have all made it to rounds 9 or 10 in the banks and are still alive in one pocket, so they they still have legitimate chances.

My hope is that Shaw takes this down and becomes the first European to hold the title.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the update.

Are all the events of equal weight?
That's my understanding.

Just noticed that Efren beat Corey, so both have one loss in one pocket.

Corey, Brumback, and Appleton already have one loss in 9-ball.

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
My thoughts are that Shaw and SVB and probably going to be neck in neck for the all around. Alex could have a shot if he wins the 1 pocket and finishes high in the 9 ball.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to GideonF's updates, SVB is out of one pocket with his loss to Dennis. So that sinks SVB's chances of winning the all-around. He would have to win the 9-ball and hope that Shaw, Orcullo, and Deuel all bow out early in the 9-ball event, which is very unlikely.

Django and Darren both lost their second match in the 9th round, so their chances are sunk as well.

So that leaves Shaw, Orcullo, Deuel, Pagulayan, and Efren (in that order) as the top contenders for Master of the Table. With Shaw still being undefeated in one pocket, he's the clear favorite.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to GideonF's updates, SVB is out of one pocket with his loss to Dennis. So that sinks SVB's chances of winning the all-around. He would have to win the 9-ball and hope that Shaw, Orcullo, and Deuel all bow out early in the 9-ball event, which is very unlikely.

Django and Darren both lost their second match in the 9th round, so their chances are sunk as well.

So that leaves Shaw, Orcullo, Deuel, Pagulayan, and Efren (in that order) as the top contenders for Master of the Table. With Shaw still being undefeated in one pocket, he's the clear favorite.

Not anymore.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
My feeling is that someone's going to win.

We need new blood as contenders, so seeing Shaw win would be really refreshing and a sort of cementing his place among the elite. Overall, diverse champion play goes a long way with hardcore fans.

Freddie <~~~ go Alex, Shane, and Efren!

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
My feeling is that someone's going to win.

We need new blood as contenders, so seeing Shaw win would be really refreshing and a sort of cementing his place among the elite. Overall, diverse champion play goes a long way with hardcore fans.

Freddie <~~~ go Alex, Shane, and Efren!

I agree that it would be good to see Shaw take the all around title.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Master of Table is still for my money the hardest title to hold. If you can't bank and move you can never win it.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Assuming the calculations in this post are still valid, this what I calculated for the total points after two rounds...

Shaw => 100 (2nd) + 70 (3rd, 2-way tie) = 170

Pagulayan => 29* (12th, 8-way tie) + 120 (1st) = 149*

Brumback = > 120 (1st) + 0* (65th) = 120*

Deuel => 36.7 (7th, 3-way tie) + 70 (3rd, 2-way tie) = 106.7

Orcullo => 53.3 (4th, 3-way tie) + 50 (5th, 2-way tie) = 103.3

Feijen => 0* (48th) + 100 (2nd) = 100*

The asterisks (*) are next to numbers that are only estimates, since this post only shows points up to 13th place (it is my understanding that points are rewarded well beyond 13th place at a diminishing scale).

Shaw is still in the driver's seat, with Alex in striking distance. Orcullo and Feijen still have a chance if either wins the 9-ball and Alex and Shaw falter soon.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Shaw is still in the driver's seat, with Alex in striking distance. Orcullo and Feijen still have a chance if either wins the 9-ball and Alex and Shaw falter soon.

It looks to me like if your calculations are correct and Alex and Shaw play in the 9-ball finals then they would be playing for the all-around title as well.

How exciting would that be?

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks to me like if your calculations are correct and Alex and Shaw play in the 9-ball finals then they would be playing for the all-around title as well.
First place is 120 points and second place is 100 points (for one event), so there is only a 20 point differential between first and second. So if Alex and Jayson meet in the finals, then Jayson would win the all-around even if he loses. So Jayson would guarantee the all-around if he makes the 9-ball finals. (If my calculations are correct.)

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How exciting would that be?
There is still a chance they could battle for the all-around in a match, but it would have to be in the semi-finals. The one condition that has to be met for this to happen is that there needs to be at least a tie for 3rd place. In other words, no one gets a bye into the finals as Alex and Jayson are playing the semi-finals.

If Jayson wins 3rd place on his own while Alex advances to the finals, then Jayson could still win the all-around if Alex loses in the finals (sole 3rd place is 80 points, 2nd place is 100 points).

Now, if there is a tie for 3rd place (no bye to the finals), then that reduces 3rd place to 70 points ((80 + 60)/2), which means a semi-final match between Jayson and Alex would determine the all-around chamption (even if the winner loses the finals).

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
First place is 120 points and second place is 100 points (for one event), so there is only a 20 point differential between first and second. So if Alex and Jayson meet in the finals, then Jayson would win the all-around even if he loses. So Jayson would guarantee the all-around if he makes the 9-ball finals. (If my calculations are correct.)

Yeah, I missed that the point differential wouldn't allow for that.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
There is still a chance they could battle for the all-around in a match, but it would have to be in the semi-finals. The one condition that has to be met for this to happen is that there needs to be at least a tie for 3rd place. In other words, no one gets a bye into the finals as Alex and Jayson are playing the semi-finals.

If Jayson wins 3rd place on his own while Alex advances to the finals, then Jayson could still win the all-around if Alex loses in the finals (sole 3rd place is 80 points, 2nd place is 100 points).

Now, if there is a tie for 3rd place (no bye to the finals), then that reduces 3rd place to 70 points ((80 + 60)/2), which means a semi-final match between Jayson and Alex would determine the all-around chamption (even if the winner loses the finals).

Here's hoping we still get a match between Shaw and Alex that will determine the all-around champion.

808billiards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe Jayson Shaw is out at level 6 in 9-ball so Alex control his own destiny now for master of the table. He is still undefeated in 9-ball.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not anymore.

Assuming the calculations in this post are still valid, this what I calculated for the total points after two rounds...

Shaw => 100 (2nd) + 70 (3rd, 2-way tie) = 170

Brumback = > 120 (1st) + 0* (65th) = 120*

Deuel => 36.7 (7th, 3-way tie) + 70 (3rd, 2-way tie) = 106.7

Orcullo => 53.3 (4th, 3-way tie) + 50 (5th, 2-way tie) = 103.3

Feijen => 0* (48th) + 100 (2nd) = 100*

The asterisks (*) are next to numbers that are only estimates, since this post only shows points up to 13th place (it is my understanding that points are rewarded well beyond 13th place at a diminishing scale).

Jayson didn't tie for 3rd in one hole. Shannon Murphy was in 3rd alone. There were only three players at that stage. Niels and Shannon played, while Alex drew the bye into the finals.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jayson didn't tie for 3rd in one hole. Shannon Murphy was in 3rd alone. There were only three players at that stage. Niels and Shannon played, while Alex drew the bye into the finals.
Thanks for the correction, Fred.

So it should have been...

Shaw => 100 (2nd) + 55 (4th, 2-way tie) = 155

So it was a lot closer than I initially thought. So it did have the potential of an Alex/Jayson 9-ball finals that would decide the all-around winner. But Jayson is already out of 9-ball, so there goes that scenario.

Not sure how far down the points go, but as long as Alex gets into the top 13 (29 points), he'll lock up the all-around. Considering there's 40 players left and he's still undefeated, I think he's got the Master of the Table in the bag.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure how far down the points go, but as long as Alex gets into the top 13 (29 points), he'll lock up the all-around. Considering there's 40 players left and he's still undefeated, I think he's got the Master of the Table in the bag.
I'm incorrect (again).

Orcullo has 103 points and Niels has somewhere around 100, so if either of them win the 9-ball, they would have around 223 points. That would mean Alex (currently has 149 points) needs about 80 points (sole 3rd place) to guarantee the title.

I think it's still mathematically possible for Efren and Shane to win it if either wins the 9-ball title and Alex, Dennis, and Niels bow out soon. Haven't done the math, but Django also might have a mathematical possibility.

So I retract my statement about the all-around being in Alex's bag. It's not, especially with Niels, Dennis, SVB, and Efren still in the hunt. Still got some drama left...which is good.