Is this a legal hit

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
you have ball in hand in the kitchen after a scratch
would this be legal or a foul
my interpretation of the rule is it is legal since the cue ball went over the head string before contacting the ball
from the rule book
6.11 Bad Play from Behind the Head String
When the cue ball is in hand behind the head string, and the first ball the cue ball contacts is also behind the head string, the shot is a foul unless the cue ball crosses the head string before that contact[/B]. If such a shot is intentional, it is unsportsmanlike conduct.
The cue ball must either cross the head string or contact a ball in front of or on the head string or the shot is a foul, and the cue ball is in hand for the following player according to the rules of the specific game.
in the kitchen 2.jpg

Atlatlien

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's legal. You're shooting out of the kitchen. No rule saying a ball in the kitchen can never be contacted.

I tend to shoot these as a one-rail kick off the foot rail, maybe using a long rail for a 2nd rail.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The World Standardized Rules do not require contacting anything outside the kitchen. For example, you could play a masse shot that curves around the headspot and comes back to pocket the ball.

The BCAPL rules require you to contact something outside the kitchen before contacting any ball inside. One shot is to shoot nearly parallel to the headstring, contacting the side cushion just outside the kitchen. Heavy sidespin can bring the cue ball back into the kitchen to pocket the hanger.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
The World Standardized Rules do not require contacting anything outside the kitchen. For example, you could play a masse shot that curves around the headspot and comes back to pocket the ball.

The BCAPL rules require you to contact something outside the kitchen before contacting any ball inside. One shot is to shoot nearly parallel to the headstring, contacting the side cushion just outside the kitchen. Heavy sidespin can bring the cue ball back into the kitchen to pocket the hanger.

In the BCAPL, after the break there is no kitchen. Everything is ball-in-hand.

randyg

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
Even if it wasnt legal, id buy you a beer if you made it.

rookiepsu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you have ball in hand in the kitchen after a scratch
would this be legal or a foul
my interpretation of the rule is it is legal since the cue ball went over the head string before contacting the ball
from the rule book
6.11 Bad Play from Behind the Head String
When the cue ball is in hand behind the head string, and the first ball the cue ball contacts is also behind the head string, the shot is a foul unless the cue ball crosses the head string before that contact[/B]. If such a shot is intentional, it is unsportsmanlike conduct.
The cue ball must either cross the head string or contact a ball in front of or on the head string or the shot is a foul, and the cue ball is in hand for the following player according to the rules of the specific game.
View attachment 415193

That shot is fine, but you should corner-hook yourself frozen to the facing along the short-rail and aim a hair past the first diamond on the opposite long-rail with center cue. Looks much more impressive.

Str8PoolMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's not just legal, it's a good idea...

... One shot is to shoot nearly parallel to the headstring, contacting the side cushion just outside the kitchen. Heavy sidespin can bring the cue ball back into the kitchen to pocket the hanger.

That's the way I used to shoot this shot. I was very good at it. Unfortunately, in some circles, one tends to get arguments from the opponent about whether the cue ball actually made rail contact outside the kitchen, so it's best to be careful when shooting this. I also had one gentleman claim the rules stated the cue ball had to contact the far rail (the foot rail) for a bank to be legal in that situation.

It's one of those shots that, in reality, isn't that difficult to learn, but always garners praise and adulation from the railbirds when they witness it.

tatcat2000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another WSR situation

As Mr. Jewett observed in post #3, there is no requirement in WSR to contact a cushion outside the kitchen before contacting a ball in the kitchen, as long as CB crosses the head string first.

In 14.1, Player A has just scratched on the 13th ball. With BIH in the kitchen and the 3-ball in the kitchen, what is Player B's play?

Cut the 3 in the corner. CB has crossed the head string before contacting the ball in the kitchen - legal shot under WSR. :smile:

Not a legal shot in CSI/BCAPL play.

Edit - left the spotted 13th ball off the diagram. even with that spotted ball there, the play still works as an option.

Attachments

• headstring3.jpg
    headstring3.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 393
  • headstring2.jpg
    headstring2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i appreciate the replies....:thumbup:
but the example i gave was just that to illustrate the question
I WAS NOT ADVOCATING IT IS THE BEST SOLUTION
:)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there some recognized rule set tha puts the incoming player on that position?

Seems like a bit of a reward for the outgoing shooter...what if instead of the yellow ball hangin in the corner, it is attaced to the headrail...and anohter ball? Youd be a fool to try to hit them.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I also had one gentleman claim the rules stated the cue ball had to contact the far rail (the foot rail) for a bank to be legal in that situation. ...
I'm pretty sure there is a YouTube video of Balsis shooting the shot (just out and back in with spin), perhaps against Crane just before Crane runs 150-and-out on him.

gumpys

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the way I used to shoot this shot. I was very good at it. Unfortunately, in some circles, one tends to get arguments from the opponent about whether the cue ball actually made rail contact outside the kitchen, so it's best to be careful when shooting this. I also had one gentleman claim the rules stated the cue ball had to contact the far rail (the foot rail) for a bank to be legal in that situation.

It's one of those shots that, in reality, isn't that difficult to learn, but always garners praise and adulation from the railbirds when they witness it.
Totally agree. Have had it happen quite a few times lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk