Rasson tables...

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have watched quite a few of the World Cup matches, and have never seen so many cue balls hop off the table on jump shots (by pros anyway). The bed of that table seemed like a trampoline.
Has anyone played on those things enough to know is this an anomaly or is that a characteristic of those tables?

Pacecar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It also seems that the World Cup of Pool Rasson table had a very deep pocket shelf.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
One of the commentators suggested it might be due to the Rasson slate being 30mm thick instead o the usual 25mm (1inch). I’ve no idea if that could result in an extra springy slate.

https://www.rasson.cn/victory

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
You can blame the Artemis Pool #66 ( K66 ) cushions and how they mount them.
Diamond has the Artemis Intercontinental 66.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
One of the commentators suggested it might be due to the Rasson slate being 30mm thick instead o the usual 25mm (1inch). I’ve no idea if that could result in an extra springy slate.

I don't think that's going to be significant. I believe Rasson also has a metal frame, but I don't think that's going to matter, either. The springiness of the slate (and cloth) can be measured by dropping a ball from a known height and seeing how high it bounces. The last time I tried this, I think I got 50% on Simonis 760 and a GC 1.5.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Connelly Ultimate tables had 50mm thick slate (2 inch). They were super easy to jump on. I'm guessing the thicker slate was a factor in the pros having trouble adjusting stroke speed on their jump shots. With thicker slate the CB rebounds off the slate with less force.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
Connelly Ultimate tables had 50mm thick slate (2 inch). They were super easy to jump on. I'm guessing the thicker slate was a factor in the pros having trouble adjusting stroke speed on their jump shots. With thicker slate the CB rebounds off the slate with less force.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

A snooker table I bought about 20 years ago was a turn of the century Heiron and Smith. It had 2.5inch slate (my first memory was that it was 3inches, but that seems ridiculous, so I’m hedging my bets). Kind of a pointless story because I obviously never jumped a ball on it :D Despite the thickness, the installer (who was very experienced) somehow managed to break one of the slates in half. Took him a while to find a replacement.

peter_gunn

])3a]) s']['rok3
Silver Member
Did they change the rails from artemis to another brand?
They seem to be way faster than before...

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Did they change the rails from artemis to another brand?
They seem to be way faster than before...

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

Rasson had announced they were/ are switching to Klematch P59 k55's. Must have made the change!

Trent from Toledo

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Rasson had announced they were/ are switching to Klematch P59 k55's. Must have made the change!

Trent from Toledo

Big mistake if they do, high density billiards cushions are no good for pocket pool, but the players will find out what banks they CAN make, and the ones they can NO longer make on their own.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Jeeesus wtf is up with people insisting on using CAROM cushions on pool tables? What's wrong with Brunswick super speed? I've played on a Rasson table and it plays ok. That's all I'd really give it, it's ok. I'd much rather play on any GC than a Rasson table. But then again I HATE Diamonds. I like that they're quiet and very level, but the bounce is just ****ing ridiculous...CAROM f-ing cushions...GTFO! The Rasson table I played on was probably a reasonable intermediate between the GC and the Diamond. It has none of what makes these tables good (well you can argue the leveling system being better than GC), but not the worst things about them either. It has square rails, which is worse than a GC, it has castings, but bettter ones, the bounce (before the change) was reasonable. With carom cushions it would be worse than a Diamond, because such rails simply DESTROY the playability. Even stone dead rails are better than carom rails for pool.

GC's have their problems, I'm aware of that. The castings stick up and damage the cue, the veneer pops off like a cheap Ikea table, the pockets are sometimes inconsistent. Even the bounce is sometimes very vulnerable to weather effects, especially the GC4s. Even so, it plays solid, banking and kicking systems work on it, the pocket geometry for the most part makes sense the rails have a very pleasant profile and the table looks like a million dollars. Please don't make us play on bs gaffe tables any more..Copy the good parts of a GC and discard the piss por quality control and the lousy casting design. That would be a good table..

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... banking and kicking systems work on it, ...
I guess you have been blessed by very good fitters. I've played on lots and lots of GCs where the systems were way off. I currently play on a GC3 that is a whole diamond different depending on whether you are going clockwise or counterclockwise around the table.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And that compares to what exactly?
The ball bounced to 50% of the height it was dropped from. Ideal would be 100%. Half of the ball's energy was lost when it hit the table.

Practically what that means is that if you shoot a jump shot the cue ball will leave the table at a shallower angle than the cue stick elevation angle. For relatively low elevations, you get only about half the angle for the cue ball's path.

I've only done the test once (on my own table).