Freddy the beard has left us

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very sad news. Freddy the Beard was Old School Pool personified. R.I.P. Beard, you went way too soon.:(

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is really bad news.

I was fortunate enough to grt to know Freddy over the years - most recently in conjunction with OnePocket.org and the annual HOF dinner.

One of a kind.

He will be remembered as one of the old guard. I am so glad he got to finish his book before leaving us. It is a shame but as others have said, it might be a blessing in disguise.

Bank on Brother!!

RIP Freddy.

Mark Griffin

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow just such sad news, one of a kind guy. Watched him play at Derby City and he was nothing but class. Such a great story teller.
RIP Freddy

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sad news indeed. I only had the privilege of meeting Freddie on a couple of occasions, but it was truly an honor. My condolences to his friends and family.

fasteddief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A True Legend

I met Freddy in D.C.C. last year. We talked for about an hour, he was telling me stories about the old days.What a great story teller, one of the best. I enjoyed every minute together.I always enjoyed the H.O.F. dinner because of Freddy, A great Emcee. R.I.P. Freddy and condolences to family and friends.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
My sincerest condolences to Freddy's family and many friends from around the world.

JoeyA

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I am so sorry to hear of Freddy's passing. I will read his book now, I have had it for awhile but have had no time. Rest In Peace Beard.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
I'm in such pain and sorrow over the loss of my oldest and closest friend in the pool world that, I really can't think of what to say. I'm sure when the shock wears off and the reality of this most terrible day hits me, I'll be able to express myself appropriately.

Sweet Marissa

www.Bella-Muse.com
Read the news on facebook of Freddy the Beard's passing and wanted to pass on my condolensces to his friends and family.

DavidMNienow

Glamour Dave
Silver Member
Sad to hear the news about the Beard's passing. I enjoyed his books, his info helped me to advanced the quality of my banking skills. And his stories were a hoot to read. He will be missed. My condolences go out to his family. :(

Lucky_Lew66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
didnt ever meet Freddie,knew of his books,but i know the type of person he was,have had many friends of mine in the pool world die in the last few years. I always love sitting around the pool room listening to their pool stories from when they were OTR or just I havent read his books and i have been thinking a lot about it lately,hopefully there will be lots of copies still around. It makes me think of all the greats who are getting up there who we need to get on video sometime before they pass,if yall have those around you get as many pictures of them as you can,because they wont be with us forever. Mike Massey is getting up there and Buddy Hall and Danny Deliberto and some of these guys,lets all get as many pictures and videos of them as possible,to remember them by when they pass. I guess all of us are subject to pass at anytime,because one of my pool buddies died at 45,from a clot in his lungs.

RIP Freddie

nightmare

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like so many others, I’m still stunned by the news of Freddy Bentivegna’s sudden passing. It sure was quick and, as others have said, maybe for the best but I thought he was on the improve.

No one was more of an old school guy than "The Beard" & he loved our world & all the characters in it. Struck down in the midst of what had to have been one of the best times of his life, he had been celebrating the release of his latest book, “The Encyclopedia of Pool Hustlers.” As well as enjoying the acclaim from the world of billiards, he had been lauded & feted by his hometown Chicago press & had recently returned from New York City after a round of interviews & book signings – as well as seeing his old friends.

I wish I could say that Freddy was one of my longtime friends but I can’t. I only got to know him really well over the course of the last few years - spending hours with him at the Derby City Classic and, of course, as the man who ran the show with Grady Mathews at the One Pocket Hall of Fame Dinners. However, as a younger player coming up & watching all the hustlers hustle, the Beard was one of the guys who stood out from the crowd. In the ‘80s, there was virtually a major tournament every couple weeks with more than one regional tournament every weekend all over the country.

Almost everywhere I went, there was Freddy – whether he was holding court & regaling everyone with his stories, showing someone something on the pool table, trying to make a game, betting on the side, stirring things up, making people laugh…everyone knew Freddy & he knew everybody.

If he was in action, it was a treat to watch. He was tough & he played hard. Whoever he tangled with on the table had their hands full. And the conversation! Freddy was a master at talking smack & coming with the one-liners – he was a sweator’s delight & I always made it a point to find a nearby parking place.

The last two One Pocket Hall of Fame Dinners have been especially tough as Grady Mathews is no longer with us. Freddy had to fly solo and although we all pitched in to help him, Grady has been terribly missed. Now, Freddy’s gone too…it just won’t be the same. Like the lyrics of the old country song say, “who’s going to fill their shoes…”

Yeah, it’s another sad day in the pool world - the old guard is leaving us one by one. I know I’m not alone in offering my condolences to his family & many friends. RIP, my friend. RIP…

Mary Kenniston

Here's Freddy in his younger days...'77 Marie's Golden Cue - Chicago, IL - Photo by Eddie Laube Jr - Photo courtesy of Tom Kollins

Attachments

• Freddy Bentivegna - X on rail - '77 Chi 9 Ball - Marie's Golden Cue - Chicago, IL - Photo by Edd.jpg
    Freddy Bentivegna - X on rail - '77 Chi 9 Ball - Marie's Golden Cue - Chicago, IL - Photo by Edd.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 398

The Kiss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rip Freddie

He left a great legacy with his videos and his Encyclopedia of Hustlers. I never met the guy but I can honestly say i bank better as a reult of his videos and learned a few other secrets that I worked into my game.

His book was a great source of enjoyment. Too bad we don't have more of a written history of an era of pool gone by.

Bank on Brother