Angle Detective by CueAndMe

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My issue is the the use of whole degrees only. The measurement for angles is in degrees.minutes.seconds.

So...24 degrees is actually 24 degrees.00 minutes.00 seconds.

In real life, you have no idea nor can you accurately measure a shot angle. In real life, a shot angle of 28 degrees.30 minutes.30 seconds is possible.

Meaning not all shot angles encountered in real world pool playing will always be whole degrees.

The actual degree of the shot cut angle does not matter one bit. What does matter is understanding the affect of a increasing shot cut angle has on the transfer of energy from the CB to OB. The greater the angle, the less transfer of energy and that is the only thing needed to know about cut shot angle.

Good thing the pockets are bigger than the balls.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The greater the angle, the less transfer of energy and that is the only thing needed to know about cut shot angle.
Just off the top of my head:

The greater the angle the smaller the OB contact target.
The greater the angle the less CB/OB throw.
The greater the angle the less follow/draw effect.

Those things seem worth knowing.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Pat,

Excellent contribution, as always.
Thanks, Dave.

FYI, I added your info to the estimating cut angles and fractional-ball aiming resource pages.
I'm somebody now!

I'm somebody.jpg

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will commend you on the great deal of work you put in, truly impressive.

I'm in the same camp as garczar and BeiberLvr, it's too much. I've read detailed instruction for golf like this and it messed my game up for a month. I can remember a friend noticed my game was off and how my swing was screwed up. He said 'Scott, just get up there and take an athletic swing at the golf ball', it worked. I forgot about all that I read and just played the game, I did much better and it was much more enjoyable.

Knowing all the angles is great. But even if I could draw the aim line on the table, those without experience will still miss.

Again, amazing amount of work you did. I may read it slowly and limit my intake. Very generous of you to put all of that out too.

Thanks, Scott! Hopefully I can convince you and the others otherwise once I start putting up videos. Lots of practical things to have in your back pocket. I agree it's a lot to absorb in full form, but there are several very simple methods that might help in certain situations.

I found the pocket center idea interesting. You may want to check out the April article in http://www.sfbilliards.com/articles/1997.pdf and the links on this page: https://billiards.colostate.edu/faq/pocket/size-and-center/ for some further details.

Thanks, Bob! Looks mighty similar. Again an instance where yours and Dave's articles would have saved me from many years of struggle. I really only started considering center pocket location after I finally bought my table about 3 years ago. That also happens to be when I picked up the original idea for the system again after 8 years of it lying dormant.

The greater the angle the less CB/OB throw.

Patrick, did you ever get a chance to see the video on throw that I posted on YouTube last year?

The results surprised me, and they might surprise you too. It seems to depend a lot on speed.

Here's a link if you're interested. It's kind of long though. https://youtu.be/IF-xJ953hBc

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In The Beginning

If anyone is interested in seeing how the Angle Detective system began, I found the 11-year old thread where I first posted the square and labeling idea. People thought I was crazy back then. I hope people don't think I'm any crazier now. Equally crazy is fine though.

Of course it was just a seed back then. The patterns, subsquares, rectangle groups and other methods only began to evolve when I finally got my table about 3 years ago and could really work on it and test it.

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=111572&highlight=aiming

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will commend you on the great deal of work you put in, truly impressive.

I'm in the same camp as garczar and BeiberLvr, it's too much. I've read detailed instruction for golf like this and it messed my game up for a month. I can remember a friend noticed my game was off and how my swing was screwed up. He said 'Scott, just get up there and take an athletic swing at the golf ball', it worked. I forgot about all that I read and just played the game, I did much better and it was much more enjoyable.

Knowing all the angles is great. But even if I could draw the aim line on the table, those without experience will still miss.

Again, amazing amount of work you did. I may read it slowly and limit my intake. Very generous of you to put all of that out too.

I agree. This is great amount of work but, way to complicated. It’s like asking a watch maker for the time....still building my watch. I play pool for the fun, the challenge, and the feeling of accomplishment when you run out or play really well. Remember no matter what system you use, you still have to execute the shot and play position.
That being said, I’m sure there are many who will be happy to apply your system.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Patrick, did you ever get a chance to see the video on throw that I posted on YouTube last year?
Not yet, but I'll check it out.

The results surprised me, and they might surprise you too. It seems to depend a lot on speed.
Yes, and on cut angle and amount of spin. Common wisdom is that throw:
- decreases with more speed
- increases with more cut angle up to half ball
- decreases with more cut angle beyond half ball
- increases/decreases with the amount of (vertical and/or horizontal) spin on the CB

Two "limits" are:
- With no side spin, maximum throw occurs with a half ball cut angle and slow speed
- With no cut angle, maximum throw occurs with half maximum side spin and slow speed

pj
chgo

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not yet, but I'll check it out.

Yes, and on cut angle and amount of spin. Common wisdom is that throw:
- decreases with more speed
- increases with more cut angle up to half ball
- decreases with more cut angle beyond half ball
- increases/decreases with the amount of (vertical and/or horizontal) spin on the CB

Two "limits" are:
- With no side spin, maximum throw occurs with a half ball cut angle and slow speed
- With no cut angle, maximum throw occurs with half maximum side spin and slow speed

pj
chgo
For those interested, a complete summary and demonstrations of all well-known throw effects can be found here:

summary of all squirt, swerve, and throw effects

And for a good summary of the most important things to know about throw in your game, see the list at the bottom of the page here:

online throw tutorial

Enjoy,
Dave

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I read thru alot if it but it was overwhelming
My suggestion is to put out an “abridged” version with a few master diagrams
With tge meat of the expoanations
For reference

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read thru alot if it but it was overwhelming
My suggestion is to put out an “abridged” version with a few master diagrams
With tge meat of the expoanations
For reference

Yes, I'll be doing that soon when I have a chance. Thanks for the feedback, bbb!

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big Update: Abridged Version and Over 200 New Images

Hey, everyone.

For the past two weeks I’ve been working hard on making the system more digestible.

New Abridged Version
Rather than having a separate section of the site for an abridged version of the Angle Detective system, I decided to embed markers in the full version to indicate the most important regions of text and illustration. The full explanation is on the Introduction page. I figure this gives the reader an opportunity to learn more on a topic if s/he wishes by just scrolling up or down.

New Example Sequences
Based on your feedback, I realized that I needed to create plenty of examples to show how powerful the methods can be in common situations at the table. To do this I added 3 new "Example" pages to Angle Detective:

Position 1 Patterns Examples
SubSquare Examples
Rectangle Groups Examples

On these new pages you will find 28 examples as image sequences containing a total of 206 new images so far. I designed the image sequences to fade in and fade out from image step to image step so that you can see the methods in action.

The first image in each sequence shows only the cue ball, the object ball and the pocket, allowing you to use these examples to test your shot recognition and/or shot aim detection skills before the shot angle, aim and Angle Detective label are revealed in the final image.

Not all methods have examples. I will add more examples as I find time to create them. Please let me know if there is a particular pattern or method or a particular ball and pocket setup that you would like to be shown as an image sequence example. I’ve been deeply immersed in this stuff, and I could use your fresh perspective to help decide which examples should be offered next. Your feedback has already really helped me, so thanks!

New Aiming Reference Tool
I added an Angle Detective printable aim reference tool to the download folder on the Introduction page.

New Hand Reference Technique
Also added is a new 90 degree hand reference technique. This is near the bottom of the Rectangles Everywhere page.

New Position 1 Pattern
Also added is a new pattern called the “Flag” pattern. You’ll find this at the bottom of the Position 1 Patterns page.

New SubSquare Pattern
Also added is a new SubSquare pattern called “Flag to Open Square” which you will find on the SubSquare Patterns page.

Mobile Navigation Fix
I noticed that the navigation drop-down menu on mobile had slightly different click-through functionality, so I fixed that. It was too easy to miss a couple of pages entirely if trying to access those pages via the navigation menu. Now it’s not a problem.

If you want to see updates as I add them, you can always check my Updates page on the website. As I add anything significant, I’ll be sure to create a new post on that page.

Let me know if you have any questions. You can post your question here or through the cueandme.com Contact page.

Thanks!

Last edited: