Playing during the pandemic

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe you hadn't noticed but they are playing snooker tournaments again. They had one event without any audience. The World Championship is about to start and they have been running the qualifiers without an audience. I believe the plan is to have a limited audience for the Championship at "The Crucible". It is a 900-seat venue which sells out a year in advance. Maybe the audience will all be in scuba gear.

Anywhos, here is an interesting interview with Neil Robertson -- former world champion and currently ranked #2 -- about his life with the 'rona:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=6707907&postcount=67

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It will be awhile before pool rooms are open again in California.
Same applies to a lot of the southern states as well. The hiatus
is horrible for small business operators and the longer people
are away from playing, there will be be a gradual loss of players.

I have played pool for 60 years and invested money trying to build
a small collection of cues. But if I never played again, my life still
goes on until it doesn’t and then pool really doesn’t matter at all. I
miss playing pool but there are more important things in life for me.
I hope it’s that way for everyone because pool is just a game we play.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Taiwan is having this Champion of Champions event this week, I think finals are tomorrow. I snapped a screenshot from the live stream a few hours ago. It looks like no one or very few are wearing masks there.

Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 12.05.51 PM.jpeg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Taiwan is having this Champion of Champions event this week, I think finals are tomorrow. I snapped a screenshot from the live stream a few hours ago. It looks like no one or very few are wearing masks there.

View attachment 553593
For the snooker everyone gets tested. Robertson describes the experience in the interview linked above. I think all the players and officials are in a bubble.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the snooker everyone gets tested. Robertson describes the experience in the interview linked above. I think all the players and officials are in a bubble.

I just had a test in order to proceed with knee surgery and it was probably the most horrible thing I've ever experienced.

My neighbor is an actor, and he said all the actors have to get tested when hired for a job.

My gf is from Taiwan. I told her no one at this tournament was wearing a mask. She said its optional there, because no one really has it.

I don't know what to think about the latter two points, just stating what was told to me...

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe you hadn't noticed but they are playing snooker tournaments again. They had one event without any audience. The World Championship is about to start and they have been running the qualifiers without an audience. I believe the plan is to have a limited audience for the Championship at "The Crucible". It is a 900-seat venue which sells out a year in advance. Maybe the audience will all be in scuba gear.

Anywhos, here is an interesting interview with Neil Robertson -- former world champion and currently ranked #2 -- about his life with the 'rona:

That was a good read, thanks for sharing. A few things stuck out to me:
1) Wow, is snooker organized. Hotel lodgings, food brought to rooms, scheduled matches, on TV, his source of income, etc.
2) They are playing these quarantine tournaments, IMO, because of TV. That is how the money is made. In pool, there is no TV. So what is the point of having the DCC or the International? Can't make a dime without the gate in either one. Matchroom Pool events are the only ones that might make sense, because they have the TV deals. None of the other pool promoters have that.
3) I'm glad snooker player like crowds! Pool tournaments are like church!

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Interesting parallel. If all the pool rooms close, those cues you collected will likely be as useful as the guitars I’ve accumulated (after all the live music clubs close too).
We could both amuse ourselves by playing alone (only watching pool videos or listening to recorded music won’t likely suffice), but having other interests certainly helps. If your eyesight deteriorates, or the arthritis that is gradually crippling my fingers greatly progresses, those interests will probably keep us going.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

.”...bought a fitness bike.........not going anywhere.....”
:)

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well, I have played for 55 years and i believe that I have , hopefully, another 20 good years of pool in me. I no longer have a home table since moving to Fl., but I play at least 3 days a week on a nine footer- but not in a billiard room. There is only one decent billiard room within an hour of here and I doubt that it will survive. Unlike you, I cannot see myself giving up the game; so if where I have access to a nine footer goes away for some reason; I will move to a larger home here in Fl. and buy a new home table.

As for my custom cue collection- well each of my sons would want one of my cues and the rest I just don't care if I ever recoup my investment- I love my cues, I play with them, I keep them all in mint condition, but I have no hope that they will ever appreciate in value from here on out.

I am thankful that I have the $$ to pursue this great game no matter what happens to the public billiard industry- it is one of my many hobbies- but it is part of my soul at this point and it would affect me greatly not to pick up a cue again.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They will require a bee keeper outfit and Earl will win the title.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m out everyday on my bicycle. Don’t feel any different at 66 than 36. Doing a 26 km or so trip on my bike in the nearby mountains on Monday. Benefit is I’m likely now too tough tasting even for one of our Grizzlies.

As for cues...two of the many things .I collect, Cues and guitars. I only ever use one of each, I don’t care if my Fender Stratocasters we’re worth $5 instead of $5k. Never part with them. After I’m gone everything can be burnt to cremate me,

Cue collection? Everyone bought at thrift stores. Never paid more than $20. Beats me why anyone payin $800 for a cue I got for $ 6 or so...maybe another $10 for the case. Yup, just throw me on top when I stop ticking. Roast yourself a bunch of marshmallows...can even use a couple of cues as skewers.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting parallel. If all the pool rooms close, those cues you collected will likely be as useful as the guitars I’ve accumulated (after all the live music clubs close too).
We could both amuse ourselves by playing alone (only watching pool videos or listening to recorded music won’t likely suffice), but having other interests certainly helps. If your eyesight deteriorates, or the arthritis that is gradually crippling my fingers greatly progresses, those interests will probably keep us going.
Awesome. You can play guitar and bava can poke you with a stick.

Maybe upstateAL can stream it.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For those who would like to see what the current Matchroom production looks like without an audience, the stream is live right now. You do have to get a membership, but it's not spammy.

https://matchroom.live/home

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, the snooker World Championship has started. It seems that masks are not required for the audience but only about 30% of the seats are occupied. Here is the first part of the first match along with the intro stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCoZVl8Vjmg

As mentioned in the intro, one player decided to withdraw for health concerns.

Edit: the UK government decided to end the pilot audience program and after the first few matches, there will be no more audience at the event.

Last edited: