2014 DCC 14.1 result?

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
I'll respond since Dennis and Bill are traveling home.

The finals match between Dennis Orcollo and Konstantin Stepanov was shown on the Accu-Stats streaming after the final 9-ball match. Danny Diliberto and Mark Wilson were the commentators. I think the match started around 1:00 am EST.

Dennis won 125-36. He had runs of 30, 39 and 52 and averaged 17.86 (yeah, I was scoring at home using Billiard Buddy). Dennis didn't play a particularly cautious game - he tried a couple of shots that would have given Irving Crane a heart attack. Konstantin wasn't especially cautious either. He tried (and made!) a 3 ball combo shot that had Danny and Mark saying they should erect a statue of him beside the TV table.

Dennis is one of those guys - Darren Appleton is another one - who seem to me to be other-worldly accurate in their position play.

Darren lost his quarterfinal match to Stepanov in a heartbreaker - in a way, a heartbreaker for both men. Stepanov was leading 47-34 when he hit Darren with a 70 ball run, bringing the game to 117-34, and then he missed a typical side-of-the-rack break shot. Darren then started running balls and it looked to me like there was no stopping him, he was a man on a mission. It is a thing of beauty to see him methodically take apart a troublesome rack. But after running 85 balls he missed a long straight in shot that he would normally take in stride. Stepanov then ran 8 and out, final score 125-119. I guess even the greats - and they are both great players - can miss under pressure, and there is no pool pressure greater than straight pool at this level. You just can't miss.

Dennis Walsh and Bill Maropulos did a great job in running this event, and I hope the players and fans appreciate what they did and don't forget to say thanks. Dennis and Bill get nothing out of it, it's strictly for the love of straight pool.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Thanks Rich!
In turn with Diamond, I'd like ot thank Dennis Walsh, Bill Maropulos and Richard Klein, "for their contribution to this annual event".

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
Thanks Rich!
In turn with Diamond, I'd like ot thank Dennis Walsh, Bill Maropulos and Richard Klein, "for their contribution to this annual event".

Also, Dana Stephenson (Elvicash). With the work he does setting up the cameras and video editing, he does a lot more than I do.

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
what was the prize for 1st and so on.

We had another very successful Derby City Straight Pool Challenge again this year. 45 entries with waiting lists to play all day and night long.

Total payouts including high run money are:

1st Dennis $3300
2nd Stepanov $1700
3/4 Huidji $1200
Alex L $1100
5/8 Ralf $2150 (high run of tournament)
Niels $950
Darren $850
Jayson $750

Daily High run prizes that did not qualify for the to eight.

Nick Vandenberg $300
John Schmidt $200

Total payout $12,500

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Dennis Walsh and Bill Maropulos did a great job in running this event, and I hope the players and fans appreciate what they did and don't forget to say thanks. Dennis and Bill get nothing out of it, it's strictly for the love of straight pool.

Elvicash, DMG Walsh and Marop have it down to a science. They do a great job year after year and deserve to have their excellence recognized.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
We had another very successful Derby City Straight Pool Challenge again this year. 45 entries with waiting lists to play all day and night long. ...

Total payout $12,500
45 entries is awesome. It used to be under 30. And with nearly 2/3 of the prize fund added money, the 14.1 is the best deal percentage-wise at DCC. Thanks for all your work.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Elvicash, DMG Walsh and Marop have it down to a science. They do a great job year after year and deserve to have their excellence recognized.

Thanks for the appreciation, Stu. Without you and others like you, it would not be possible. We are just trying to do what we can to get the best 14.1 runs by the best players.

45 entries is awesome. It used to be under 30. And with nearly 2/3 of the prize fund added money, the 14.1 is the best deal percentage-wise at DCC. Thanks for all your work.

Now that Diamond has brought your brainchild of an event out into the open, as you always wanted, we are getting much more traffic and could have sold more tickets but, actually Joe Tucker's event was using one of our tables most of the first day, while we had people waiting. Last year and the year before, we also had a third table available for Wednesday night, but not this year. Greg Sullivan asked us what we needed to make it better, so I think we may get more next year.

You ought to think about making a cameo at your event for the tenth anniversary next year. Add a little class to the event.

What do you say??

Last edited: