Input on best quality shaft blanks?

DiegoF08

Registered
I wanted to know who is the best shaft blank seller out there. I want aaa+, tight grain, high ring count. Friend tells me this makes the best hitting shaft and I would like to know who you trust to get a good one with those specs.
Thanks in advanced for your input.

DiegoF08

Registered
I found some websites like schmelke, cuecomponents, cuesmith,woodchuck charlies online wood shop, rolaine, cuestock, westpen hardwoods. I mean the list goes on and on and on. I just want someone that sells what they are advertising if you know what i mean.

Jdm34

jared marion
Silver Member
I just ordered 3 kielwood blanks from prather suppost to be great blanks I should know how they play in a few weeks

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old wood

I wanted to know who is the best shaft blank seller out there. I want aaa+, tight grain, high ring count. Friend tells me this makes the best hitting shaft and I would like to know who you trust to get a good one with those specs.

It's some work but I know a lot of great shafts have been made out of old maple floor from condemned buildings.

BuddyWing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check with Dave Kikel in Pueblo.
His shaft wood is perfect.
You can talk to him and see the shafts
before you buy....

Dustry

Banned
I wanted to know who is the best shaft blank seller out there. I want aaa+, tight grain, high ring count.
Friend tells me this makes the best hitting shaft and I would like to know who you trust to get a good one with those specs.
sounds good, don't leave out weight, nothing less than 4oz finished.
there's not a cue shaft in my case under 4 1/4oz and nothing over 4 1/2oz.

DiegoF08

Registered
sounds good, don't leave out weight, nothing less than 4oz finished.
there's not a cue shaft in my case under 4 1/4oz and nothing over 4 1/2oz.
In your opinion do tight grain, high ring count matter? or is it more about how dense the wood is? or all together. I'm looking for the blank so my cue maker can turn it over time or even buy a blank thats on its last turn. I just want it to be solid. The cue i am getting will hit amazing but i would just like something extra extra solid.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who's making your cue?

Not sure why your cuemaker wouldn't have his own shaft supply. Franky, buying one shaft blank doesn't make any sense. Cuemakers buy a ton of shafts and usually turn them in groups. The warped one hang until they adjust to the environment, or get tossed. Also dense shafts are great, but tight grain isn't the end all be all. I have some shafts with moderate grain tightness that has a few sugarmarks even and it plays phenomenal... Appearance isn't everything. Tone and grain straightness is most important. Bounce those suckers on the floor and see how they sound. If you're insistent on picking your own, there are some guys who will sell you a couple premium shaft blanks that are close to final size. I would look in the Cue Machinery and Supply section if you want to find something like that. If you're not sure what to look for in good shafts, I would let your CM do his job. Just my opinion..

Last edited:

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

My guess is the best go out to the best cuemakers and who also deal in volume before it trickles down to you. Straight grain is important but I think high ring count is overblown. I have great hitting cues with shafts of maybe only 3, 4, or 5 grain lines down the middle.

DiegoF08

Registered
Who's making your cue?

Not sure why your cuemaker wouldn't have his own shaft supply. Franky, buying one shaft blank doesn't make any sense. Cuemakers buy a ton of shafts and usually turn them in groups. The warped one hang until they adjust to the environment, or get tossed. Also dense shafts are great, but tight grain isn't the end all be all. I have some shafts with moderate grain tightness that has a few sugarmarks even and it plays phenomenal... Appearance isn't everything. Tone and grain straightness is most important. Bounce those suckers on the floor and see how they sound. If you're insistent on picking your own, there are some guys who will sell you a couple premium shaft blanks that are close to final size. I would look in the Cue Machinery and Supply section if you want to find something like that. If you're not sure what to look for in good shafts, I would let your CM do his job. Just my opinion..
Yeah he has his own supply of shafts and they play great. I am getting a new cue here soon. i was just looking for a out of the norm shaft. This is more for a second shaft for my cue. I am wanting to experiment with different shafts like the one im looking for, i want to try a purple hart shaft, i also want to try a radial laminated one. Its more of a adventure i would say, and my cue maker is willing to make them for me im just getting the supplies for my craziness or stupidity which ever one lol

DiegoF08

Registered
My guess is the best go out to the best cuemakers and who also deal in volume before it trickles down to you. Straight grain is important but I think high ring count is overblown. I have great hitting cues with shafts of maybe only 3, 4, or 5 grain lines down the middle.
Thank you.