Silver Member
I had a house pro once tell me
Submarines and airplanes
Meaning angle of cue for draw and follow
Not extreme of course

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's one of my unorthodox teaching methods, Patrick: When a player has a problem twisting the cue, I ask them to take the thumb and index finger completely off of the grip, so they are gripping with the last three fingers, and to shoot only that way for a certain period of time that I designate. It might be a few minutes. It might be a few hours. It might be an entire day. Depends on the player. From the first shot, the cue instantly goes straight in every case that I've seen. That's because the thumb and index fingers are the twisting fingers. It feels awful for the player but it works.

Then I gradually allow them to put those fingers back on the cue but in a different way and with attention to the way certain things feel.

Most instructors would just address the twisting motion while allowing the player to grip the cue the same way. The player will revert back if they do it that way because their old grip is still there.

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
8b2da.png

1) Take a student who has struggled with follow for a long, long time, using a conventional (high) hand bridge and stroke.

2) Setup the 9-ball shot as diagrammed above.

3) Tell student to bridge and practice stroke at center cue ball, take a nice long backstroke on the final stroke, then, with the final forward stroke only--because they're using the hand bridge as a natural fulcrum--to slightly lower the cue butt so that the cue ball is struck above center, using a soft or medium-soft stroke.

4) Watch the cue ball follow the 9-ball straight into the far corner pocket, usually on the first, sometimes on the second attempt.

5) Provide student with Kleenex to wipe away their tears of gratitude.

6) Post same at AZ.

7) Watch as non-teachers criticize you and/or as other teachers say "Wrong!" without ever having attempting this upward stroke on a pool table, to test what I'm saying for themselves or telling you why this method that saves people years of agony with follow shots is "wrong".

Why not fix the problem instead of putting a Band-aid on it? Its obvious that they are not using a "Conventional Stroke" or they would be able to execute this basic shot of "following the ball" There are underlying issues here that need to be fixed and if you are not fixing them the right way you are doing your students a great disservice.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Why not fix the problem instead of putting a Band-aid on it? Its obvious that they are not using a "Conventional Stroke" or they would be able to execute this basic shot of "following the ball" There are underlying issues here that need to be fixed and if you are not fixing them the right way you are doing your students a great disservice.

There are no underlying issues if someone (as I wrote about above) hits beautiful draw, center and side but struggles with follow. There's a problem with their follow technique only.

Since they can now hit perfect follow shots for the rest of their life, the problem has been fixed, the very definition of not a Band-aid.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Respectfully to you, you'd be a far better player and teacher if you collaborated with others instead of talking down to them.
When you start listening to well-founded criticism of your ideas we might have something to "collaborate" about.

And as yet another example of you opining about things you're ignorant of: you obviously have no idea how I play.

pj <- forgot to say "respectfully"
chgo

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
When you start listening to well-founded criticism of your ideas we might have something to "collaborate" about.

And as yet another example of you opining about things you're ignorant of: you obviously have no idea how I play.

pj <- forgot to say "respectfully"
chgo

I said "play far better".

You don't collaborate well, but I'm again offering you the chance to do so--or even to offer "well-founded criticism" rather than sarcasm and insults. They're beneath you, you're far too intelligent for this nonsense.

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
This is the very definition of not knowing what you're saying - or what you're teaching. I sincerely hope the student(s) you told to "stroke upward" for follow have found a real instructor.

pj
chgo

And as predicted in an earlier post by me, you criticized without giving a why, or indeed any pool facts or substance at all.

I know you don't teach, but if you did, you'd likely tell your student to "practice good follow technique for two hours daily for six months". The upward stroke by contrast, cures the follow stroke in under 60 seconds, permanently. Fixing student concerns promptly is what real instructors do.

I challenge you to both experiment as I've diagrammed and to be respectful to other people, without sarcasm.

Last edited:

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Matt,

This here that you wrote 3) Tell student to bridge and practice stroke at center cue ball, take a nice long backstroke on the final stroke, then, with the final forward stroke only--because they're using the hand bridge as a natural fulcrum--to slightly lower the cue butt so that the cue ball is struck above center, using a soft or medium-soft stroke. Is a BAND-AID and has its own set of problems.

Try this instead.

Have the student with a level (as possible) cue raise the tip of their cue (1 or 2 tips) on the cue ball when addressing it for their warm up strokes (that is where we confirm we are hitting the cue ball in the right place) then have them strike the cue ball and watch the cue ball follow the object ball down the table. If they can't do that and can do what you stated above then there is an underlying problem that you are not seeing in your analysis of the stroke.

Having a player take 2 or 3 warm up strokes and then on the final stroke drop the elbow to raise the tip is not correct, it sends mixed signals to the brain and causes confusion.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Having a player take 2 or 3 warm up strokes and then on the final stroke drop the elbow to raise the tip is not correct, it sends mixed signals to the brain and causes confusion.

It's not causing confusion in actual lessons/group clinics. It's instead causing the cue ball to follow into the corner pocket ten out of ten times. Have your students who are struggling with follow using the conventional high bridge method try it both ways, ten times each. Also, the method makes it quite easy to control speed of the cue ball.

I appreciate your kind input, however, I'm not sharing theory--I'm sharing what I've seen work for many students, in person. I'm sure you're aware that many pro players stroke to the base of the cue ball with their warm-up strokes, before adjusting a final backward and/or forward stroke.

Last edited: