This cloth color is really good, what you think.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like Tournament Blue - bright and good contrast with balls.

Have to be careful with the chalk, though - Masters standard blue chalk shows up more than you want on that cloth. Masters Sky Blue is better for it.

pj
chgo
Just curious, how long has that master sky blue color chalk been around? I’d like to try it for our pool room on our tournament blue Simonis covered tables, but I can’t seem to find it anywhere in the 144 piece gross boxes.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Just curious, how long has that master sky blue color chalk been around? I’d like to try it for our pool room on our tournament blue Simonis covered tables, but I can’t seem to find it anywhere in the 144 piece gross boxes.
Don't know how long it's been aroung - I found it in late 2017.

Google searched for "Masters Sky Blue chalk":

https://gebhardts.com/master-chalk-box-of-144-sky-blue/

pj
chgo

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
It doesn't have to be bright, thats the point, with this color you can see all balls as bright instead of the cloth, and thats the positive side, balls look clear and bright, cloth is in the background.

The current tourny blue is very bright, it overpowers some balls color and it also hides the two and 10-ball, I don't know how it survived this long.

I believe we either have to go back to green, or choose the color I linked in the video, it is really good when you see all the balls clearly.

Oh and the Camel pro color hides the one ball, and the 9-ball, it wasn't that good.

I see a very pale green...and I don’t mind it at all.
...I wonder what other people see...

220EE580-53FE-48C0-A938-B11C4C731124.jpeg

Some people see pink where I see green

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
‘Most pool rooms use blue.’ Actually no.

Anyone Here ever play on red?

Yes, my home table growing up was red (Burgundy), it was my choice and at the time I thought it looked really cool with the walnut table and the leather pockets with gold fringe. Nowadays I'd never do anything except blue or green though. I still have that table (in storage, not the one in my avatar) and the old set of Aramith balls. Those balls really got stained with a red tint over the years, not to mention all those cues I had. Reminds me, I think I'll dig those balls out of storage tomorrow and see if they can be cleaned to a decent standard. I can always use another set of practice balls.

brigeton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what color do you think holds it's color the best after a year not showing dirt or fading as much? My championship tournament blue looks nothing like it did when installed.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like Tournament Blue - bright and good contrast with balls.

Have to be careful with the chalk, though - Masters standard blue chalk shows up more than you want on that cloth. Masters Sky Blue is better for it.

pj
chgo

Sky Blue is Masters’ best chalk that I have tried. It provides a nice even coating of the tip. Better than the standard blue, gold, or silver.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you use blue cloth and green chalk, you'd see chalk marks on the table that are green.

If you use green cloth and blue chalk, you'd see chalk marks on the table that are blue.

Some people match the table color with chalk color so that they dont' see dirt marks, now think about this for a second, is that a good thing or a bad thing, I don't know.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what color do you think holds it's color the best after a year not showing dirt or fading as much? My championship tournament blue looks nothing like it did when installed.
All Simonis cloth colors will fade over time. The camel will fade the least, since it’s such a light color to begin with. Also, because it’s the lightest, camel/tan/gold is also going to show burn marks the least over a period of time.

Last edited:

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's definitely Powder Blue Simonis. Depending on the bulbs used in the light above the table it can look a little greener, especially if you use fluorescent instead of LED's.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
In past tournaments and most rooms have used classic green and I think it's really good for our game, snooker still uses green.

Then pool world moved to a tournament blue, very bright, almost like the 2 ball, I didn't like that change.

However I found a new color in a video that was mentioned in another thread, it caught my eyes that this cloth color look good with every ball, I could not find one issue, I don't know what color this is, maybe gray? or very light blue? I'm not sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLxn7sHBRY0&t=305

Check it out, do you think all tournaments should be played on this? or can you find an issue with it? I believe all ball colors look very clear on this, I personally believe if we use this color in tournaments, it's for the best.

I always play well on light colored cloths. I could definitely do this color.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The lighter colors will win that contest easily. In my opinion Powder Blue Simonis is just Tourny Blue that looks liked it's been aged a few years by sunlight.

I'm also glad someone else saw that table cloth in the video as Powder Blue instead of green. I thought my eyes were really failing me for awhile. LOL

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Red

Red cloth tired my eyes more quickly even when I was young. I wouldn't play on red now. I don't think I would care for the upkeep but the camel plays pretty well in my opinion.

One guy bought a place that couldn't make up it's mind if it was a bar or pool hall and with eight tables or so he tried every color cloth available trying to draw a young crowd. I quickly decided that everything besides green, blue, and camel stunk to play on! Maybe my first time playing on blue and I was surprised to find I liked it probably better than green considering I thought that green was the only color for pool table cloth back then.

The guy experimenting? In less than two months he had recovered all but the green and blue tables in green. I think the blue tables stayed blue until the cloth wore out and then went green too.

The coming of tournament blue has a lot to do with the aging of pool players as a group. Old eyes deal with tournament blue better than forest green.

Hu

CLAUD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
‘Most pool rooms use blue.’ Actually no.

The vast majority are green. Blue may be used more in the USA.

All the pool rooms where I live have some shade of green for pool and tournament green for snooker cloth.

Personally I don’t care that much. Once I play for 5 minutes , I don’t think about the colour. I don’t have any issue distinguishing the balls. Green, blue, tan cloth is fine. Red might be an issue but don’t remember playing on red.

Anyone Here ever play on red?
I have played on red. Worst night I ever had was on red cloth. A good friend has burgundy or maroon on his home table. don't like it either.