Predator One Pool Women's Cup

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tiebreaker set to decide the championship starting in 5 minutes. Ghost format, one set is first to make 60 points. First to win 2 sets wins the match. Pretty entertaining format, IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37frfqJ_jQY

Do you guys think this can "save" pro pool? Even outside of Corona, this format could create "superstars". The same top 16 or so people could be constantly on the stream. A lower tier can be from qualifiers to get into the top 16. Setup costs for physical tables and bleachers and hotel rooms is eliminated. Ideas we've all kicked around for years, of having a tour of just the top 16 players only to save costs. Now maybe we can do that all online?

What are your thoughts?

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i like your ideas. but the ghost ball format
of zero points available on a dry break seems too severe.

the break is already important, why make it more so?
this was basically a breaking contest.
like a homerun derby or slam dunk contest,
entertaining but not really a true test of skills.

the 15 or 10 point choice with or without ball in hand makes sense.

and one smaller problem was when jasmine’s internet went out
they ended her run on that rack due to lack of observation by the referee.

basically assuming she cheated, not letting her wait for service to return.

but as you say, there is potential here. another tournament is coming up in december.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tiebreaker set to decide the championship starting in 5 minutes. Ghost format, one set is first to make 60 points. First to win 2 sets wins the match. Pretty entertaining format, IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37frfqJ_jQY

Do you guys think this can "save" pro pool? Even outside of Corona, this format could create "superstars". The same top 16 or so people could be constantly on the stream. A lower tier can be from qualifiers to get into the top 16. Setup costs for physical tables and bleachers and hotel rooms is eliminated. Ideas we've all kicked around for years, of having a tour of just the top 16 players only to save costs. Now maybe we can do that all online?

What are your thoughts?

I took at look at some of the matches, the one I saw was unwatchable, video and audio was choppy, hard to see the table well. If they want this to be a thing they need to help the people setup their streaming equipment with cameras, placement and proper internet connection.

Marc

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know what the payouts were?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

What are your thoughts?

Ghost play, which strips down a beautiful game to a single player colorless challenge is near unwatchable.

I admire those that have created these tournaments, thereby giving the pros a chance to earn some money in a year that has offered few opportunities to do so.

The difference between ghost play and real play is the same as the difference between shooting on the pistol range or shooting in a real battle.

Getting past these ghost events, which have some novelty value but offer a colorless form of entertainment, will allow pool to return to a period in which it was starting to move forward. The previous two years before COVID offered the addition of four major WPA sanctioned events: a) The International 9-ball, b) The Diamond 10-ball, c) The Matchroom US Open, and d) the revival of the World 10-ball. Matchroom's takeover of the World 9-ball Championship was also a very positive moment for our sport.

Lord help us if ghost play gains market share in the world of pool entertainment!

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
American pool is like fishing. I’d rather go fishing myself than watch someone else do it.

This format? It’s worse than digging the worms to give to someone else to go fishing.

Billiards is a fun game. A game. It’s not some ordeal to be endured for the sake of it.