The Clock System

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw a WTB post for the Buddy Hall disc on the clock system, and it made me wonder how many people know and utilize the system.

For those that dont know, the clock system is a position system for using english off the first rail contacted to contact the second rail precisely. The basic concept to the system is knowing where 12 oclock or a high center ball hit takes the cueball to on the second rail. Once you know where 12 o'clock goes, each 'hour' on the clock (imagine the face of the cueball as a clock, 1 o'clock, 2 o'clock etc) equals a diamond. Running english of course lengthens the angle, while inside shortens.

So how many people have implemented the clock system in their own games?

I personally find it invaluable in situations where you need to avoid traffic as well as coming into the next shot on a certain line.

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a friend, a really good player, who uses it. It seems like a whole lot of adjustments would need to be made to the "one diamond per hour of english" rule, but I suppose if you calibrate so you have a good feel for it, it could make CB path more predictable.

Wybrook

A. Wheeler
Silver Member
This stuff doesn't work.. Its like any "system"... it will give you an approximate way to sort of come close to where you need to go..

If you try it in real life, it acts totally different and you end up making a bunch of adjustments to "prove" the system "works"...

Variables:

humidity
type of cloth
age of cloth
ball type
ball cleanliness
skill of person shooting
..prob more I missed..

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This stuff doesn't work.. Its like any "system"... it will give you an approximate way to sort of come close to where you need to go..

If you try it in real life, it acts totally different and you end up making a bunch of adjustments to "prove" the system "works"...

Variables:

humidity
type of cloth
age of cloth
ball type
ball cleanliness
skill of person shooting
..prob more I missed..

If you play with it, you learn the concepts. Nothing on a pool table is 100% accurate. As you stated, too many variables. However like most systems, its a starting point or a frame of reference to go off of instead of blind guessing.

If anyone buys into ANY system that claims exactness etc, they need to understand some basic marketing concepts along with some basic pool knowledge....... :thumbup:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
FWIW, as D+/C- level player like me, the system is predictable and gives me a rough guide to where my cue ball is going.

There is at least two videos on Youtube with Buddy Hall demonstrating his clock system. For those who are interested, its still available for sale here.
http://www.buddyhall.com/Store.html

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fwiw, as d+/c- level player like me, the system is predictable and gives me a rough guide to where my cue ball is going.

There is at least two videos on youtube with buddy hall demonstrating his clock system. For those who are interested, its still available for sale here.
http://www.buddyhall.com/store.html

rough guide is correct, still not 100 percent accurate. Works for some others not. Pool is feel. What makes systems so tough.

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw a WTB post for the Buddy Hall disc on the clock system, and it made me wonder how many people know and utilize the system.

For those that dont know, the clock system is a position system for using english off the first rail contacted to contact the second rail precisely. The basic concept to the system is knowing where 12 oclock or a high center ball hit takes the cueball to on the second rail. Once you know where 12 o'clock goes, each 'hour' on the clock (imagine the face of the cueball as a clock, 1 o'clock, 2 o'clock etc) equals a diamond. Running english of course lengthens the angle, while inside shortens.

So how many people have implemented the clock system in their own games?

I personally find it invaluable in situations where you need to avoid traffic as well as coming into the next shot on a certain line.

I was taught this as well. They called it "clocking your stroke" and I remember them crediting Buddy with it too. I find it invaluable as well and it's become a standard part of my warm up to get a feel for a table. :thumbup:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I "calibrate" my sidespin in a similar way: by dividing the total possible amount of on-the-equator sidespin into thirds - 1/3 of maximum side spin = 1 diamond of cross-table difference; 2/3 = 2 diamonds; 3/3 (max) = 3 diamonds.

Of course this has to be adjusted for table conditions, but on the tables in my local pool room (Brunswicks with year-old Simonis) it's surprisingly accurate at all speeds. Like other "reference" systems, it's a good starting point for "measuring" kicks.

pj
chgo

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To me that isn't really a system. It is just figuring what English to put on the cue ball to get it to go where you want.

An example of a system would be plus 2.

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a quite good guide to systematic practice and play, as long as the necessary balance with feel is kept. I believe F. Bustamante used it to some extent.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doesn't the cut angle/speed, etc affect this? not sure how you could use it consistently for various shots around the table. I like the simplicity though and the clock idea for english tip positions is easy to understand.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Doesn't the cut angle/speed, etc affect this? not sure how you could use it consistently for various shots around the table. I like the simplicity though and the clock idea for english tip positions is easy to understand.
It doesn't seem to affect my simpler "1/3s" method much. For instance, shooting directly cross-table produces about the same effect as shooting at an angle. So does shooting at different speeds.

pj
chgo

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It's mainly about half ball hits, and it's quite good. You keep target point and speed and play with spin. Good practice if you place an object ball close to a pocket and work on different position routes by changing spin on CB.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use it all the time, and have posted about it numerous times on here. Of course, each time I posted it, I would get the usual crowd that thinks it doesn't work at all and is useless. If they bothered to spend ten minutes with it, their eyes would be opened.

Odds are, the same ones that think it doesn't work are the same ones that think drills are a waste of time.

I've had people scoff at it big time and try and make fun of me about it. Then, I set up a shot on the table and place another ob on a rail and ask them to make the shot and have the cb hit the second ob, trying to run it up the rail and make it.

They laugh and say it's easy to hit, but to make the second ball is near impossible. I let them try it 4 or 5 times. They never once hit the second ball at all. Then I explain the clock system again, and tell them all they have to do is hit it with one tip (3mm) of english and they will hit the second ob if not make it. The guy laughs at me, but gets down and is careful on his tip placement to prove me wrong. He shoots the first ob in, the cb goes to the rail and back across and up table and hits the second ob and it runs down the rail and goes in the pocket on his first attempt at actually aiming it correctly instead of just using feel. Another convert.

So, to all you guys that laugh at it, you just don't know what you don't know.

sonny_burnett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a copy of Buddy's "How Not To Dump" video.
Sorry. I could not resist.

Has anyone seen Buddy lately? I hope he dropped some weight.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
I use 2 clocks on the cue ball, some player's use 3 or 4.

For myself the rail system part of it is unnessarsay; it is clearly useful for some players.
Angles are visually obvious to see, I think its poor cue delivery that loses the desired angle.

Our eyes know where to send the cue ball. We are constantly altering the natural path, sending it long or short with stroke, speed, spin. It would be great if we could play every shot forward and natural to the angle, everyone would be a World Champ.

I believe using the inside clock or outside clock helps players with cue tip precision and aim accuracy, to strike where you aim, especially early stage players, then it carries on as you advance.

I don't think about the clock that much because it is ingrained in my head, but it's always there. You can dial in to needle points and strike between numbers, like hitting at 4:30, 11: 55 or 11:59 on either clock.

Today it's easy to see strike points and how top players zoom in, just watch YouTube.
The recent world events had fantastic camera work. You can watch almost any match and see the camera zoomed in on the tip finding its strike point on the preliminary strokes. You can see the cue stick moving slightly off until it is in line and on point, and then they deliver.

I try to play inside the cue ball and the inside clock, it simplifies everything for me, and I can generate plenty of spin on the inside. That does not mean inside English. I have no problem playing outside clock to the extreme edges as I do play a lot of 3 cushion billiards.

Clock management works very well and a great tool in the bag whether you use just the cue ball and or the rails, to each their own.

I have many posts on the clock system, most were overlooked.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Good Post, Michael.

I remember back in the day, telling a team mate to hit it at about 4:37. They looked at me with that glazed stare.

I used to use the outer clocks a lot but now playing one pocket, I've come in to the 1st. two for most shots.

You Stay Well.

Last edited: