Black boar AS 3 value?

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure on value- never really followed those cues. But, as an experienced picker, I was wondering, was it priced as just a run of the mill pool cue, or as a custom cue with pricing in the$ hundreds?

Estate sales can be boom or bust depending upon the circumstances of the sale and also who is running the sale- family members, or estate sale pros. Hoping you got this one as an "unknown" pool cue!

I have had many billiard "finds" at estate sales, garage sales, thrifts, antique shops, pawn shops - at times resulting in $$ many hundreds to thousands of profit at costs below $50!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the same cue. A long since retired pool player came back to the pool hall after 15 years. He had that same cue inside a fancy case that he hadn't touched in 15 years. He sold the cue/case to the owner for 600. A few hours later, I come into the pool hall. The owner shows it to me and tells me the story. I offer him 900 for the package, and he takes it. I get the cue refinished and rewrapped for 150 (the finish and wrap were in bad shape). I sell it after getting it back for 1400. (I kept the case, still have it). The guy I sold it to sold it again. That buyer sent it back to Tony Black Boar and had some upgrades made to the cue, I think more inlays or something like that, and a refinish by Tony. I think that player ended up keeping and playing with the cue.

This all happened 12 years ago. If your cue is straight, original, and in very good condition, I'd guess you could sell it quickly for 1700-2000 today with both shafts. The 4 point cues are not nearly as desirable as the later 6 and 8 point cues.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old logo cues are not as desirable as the new logo cues.

IMO, those old logo cues were incredible players

Ken

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe his early cues do not command the same price as his newer cues. My gut tells me $2.5k.

Attachments

• boar 1.jpg
    boar 1.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 246
  • boar 2.jpg
    boar 2.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 255
I ended up picking it up for $40

You must have been the only person at the estate auction who knew anything about pool cues, or seen much of any value in them, and the owner or person running the auction must not have known anything about cues either. So, I assume that $40 was the starting bid? Amazing. Such a beautiful cue. Even for someone who knows nothing about pool cues should know that that is a high quality piece.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
You just don't see Black Boars, Tony don't make many. At 20K a Cue, just 6 - 8 a year is a chunk of $'s.

In my part of the country you see lots of them. I can name at least 4 local guys that play with them and another 10 (including my father) that own more then 1.

They aren't exactly unicorns... They are less rare in his neck of the woods as people can go directly to his shop.

With that being said, Dad owns an AS-3 pretty much identical to this one. He owns another with a steel joint and 5/16 14 pin. He went to Tony and had one of his Ferrule-less shafts made for it. Very nice guy and pleasent to deal with. Expensive, but worth it, IMO

Last edited:
In my part of the country you see lots of them. I can name at least 4 local guys that play with them and another 10 (including my father) that own more then 1.

They aren't exactly unicorns... They are less rare in his neck of the woods as people can go directly to his shop.

With that being said, Dad owns an AS-3 pretty much identical to this one. He owns another with a steel joint and 5/16 14 pin. He went to Tony and had one of his Ferrule-less shafts made for it. Very nice guy and pleasent to deal with. Expensive, but worth it, IMO

I remember seeing an interview of this Junior player on youtube, who said that he played with a Black Boar, and was sponsored by them. The kid looked to be maybe 13 or 14. I wish I would have been lucky enough to had the connections, or get noticed, and sponsored by such a great cue maker, at that age.

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember seeing an interview of this Junior player on youtube, who said that he played with a Black Boar, and was sponsored by them. The kid looked to be maybe 13 or 14. I wish I would have been lucky enough to had the connections, or get noticed, and sponsored by such a great cue maker, at that age.

https://youtu.be/sO_bpZKiD_o

His dad owns a pool room in Waynesboro PA and has a large collection of BB cues.