Didn't Efren foul here?

Ak147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interestingly no one spotted it including commentators, 8 moved quite a bit.

Wonder if Efren realized..

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Was it a foul?: ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Did Efren know he fouled ?: lol....what do you think?

Did everyone else know he fouled?: again, what do you think?

Did Mika realize Efren had fouled?: Hell no. I can think of 50 thousand reasons why he would've called foul if he would've noticed it.

I believe Mika was the one and "only" person that didn't realize that Efren committed a foul.

IMO, Efren should have shown a little character and fessed up. Then again, Mika should have been more aware of things.

Efren was a wee-bit unethical and gained $50,000. Mika was a bit shook, and it cost him $50,000.

It happens but, IMO, even the likes of Efren has had moments where his character was less than perfect on the table and that particular moment was just "one" of them.

All in all, its sad that a foul that was as obvious as that, with many, many witnesses, not to mention, with instant replay available could EVER go unpunished. Especially on that stage.

Jeff

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He definitely knew he fouled. There’s only one reason the GOAT scratches his head and it’s if he knows he made a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He definitely knew he fouled. There’s only one reason the GOAT scratches his head and it’s if he knows he made a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep. Its hard to find evidence of the goat being dishonest/unethical outside of that video and only two others that I'm aware of.

Efren was and has always been one of the better people in pool as far as I'm concerned.

Not bringing a foul to an opponent's attention is by far NOT the worst thing pro players have been known to do.

Efren isn't perfect but, he is a very good person.....especially when compared to the average pro player, much less the average player in general. Whew....lol... that's an ugly picture for sure.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I don't see how any of you can decide you are sure he knew he bumped the ball with his cue.

I don't know that, nobody can know that. The only clue might be if he looked down when he felt it touch. That's the natural reaction you have to see how far you moved a ball. He wasn't in the frame of the camera then...we don't know if he reacted at all to the contact.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I don't see how any of you can decide you are sure he knew he bumped the ball with his cue.

I don't know that, nobody can know that. The only clue might be if he looked down when he felt it touch. That's the natural reaction you have to see how far you moved a ball. He wasn't in the frame of the camera then...we don't know if he reacted at all to the contact.

He moved it about four inches, so of course he knew. If he'd grazed it ever so slightly and moved the ball negligibly (like what happened to Wu vs Filler at the US Open) there would be some room for interpretation, but not here.

Efren 99.99% perfect, but this is one of those few occasions that validates that it's not 100%.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
He moved it about four inches, so of course he knew. If he'd grazed it ever so slightly and moved the ball negligibly (like what happened to Wu vs Filler at the US Open) there would be some room for interpretation, but not here.

Efren 99.99% perfect, but this is one of those few occasions that validates that it's not 100%.
Well, 2 inches anyhow. I'm just saying I can't possibly say he knew. Others can think they are positive. That's fine.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I've done this many times over the years (ticking a ball with my cue) and every single time I've done it I KNOW I did it.

Just making a general statement here....not taking any sides.

And to be honest here, I've watched this video several times before and never noticed the foul either.

Maniac

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I've done this many times over the years (ticking a ball with my cue) and every single time I've done it I KNOW I did it.

Just making a general statement here....not taking any sides.

And to be honest here, I've watched this video several times before and never noticed the foul either.

Maniac
But it's kinda not possible to do it and not know you did it but somehow know that you didn't know you did it...ya know.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My dilemma with this situation is that the match was refereed and I'm not so certain that players should call fouls on themselves in these situations. Everybody always compares pool to golf in these discussions but they aren't the same. In golf it IS REQUIRED by the rules that you call all fouls on yourself. Part of this of course it that there really isn't a referee for each golfer. Now if Mika jumped out of his chair here and said the ball moved, and then the ref asked Efren if it moved -- I would expect him to be honest. I really can't think of one other sport where a player would be expected to step in to assist the referee during a match. I would have zero problem playing a completely gentlemanly game, where all players called ALL fouls on themselves where a ref WASN'T present. However, even that scenario could be uneven if one player was more knowledgeable about the rules than his opponent.

So I don't think this is as black and white as people are making it seem.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
only his hair dresser knows for sure!

Did he know on some level? Probably. Did it really register with him? I don't know. We have all had things happen and not really register when focused on something else. The head scratch wasn't at the back of his head which was his usual "oops" place and I didn't see the usually accompanying facial expression.

No question that he fouled. The question is did it register and only Efren knows that for sure.

Hu

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
On a side note, this is a foul even when playing cue fouls ball only. Even with those rules, it is a foul to move the ball around which you are masse-ing.